Anyone interested in having native ReShade support?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Re: Anyone interested in having native ReShade support?

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 pm

WOW... this is just awsome.

One bug, turbolasers don't glow

I love the customisation of glowing elements, this is way better than the reshade default :)

Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 pm

So uh, I tried uninstalling reshade and installing this new update. I think either I broke something, or there's a conflict somewhere, the game loads fine but upon trying to launch in hangar the sounds all play, animation is like half a frame per second, then the game crashes to desktop.

I'm just going to reinstall from my original steam folder...

Code: Select all

APPCRASH 
   Not available 
   XwingAlliance.exe 
   3765a9b7 
   NPClient.dll_unloaded 
   52e96a5f 
   c0000005 
   00001c59 

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB948.tmp.dmp \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBA43.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBA63.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBA63.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERBA93.tmp.txt 
   \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_XwingAlliance.ex_4b776cb3ed18e3e33fb7c0f3b713f9fdd3346033_35d6de86_4b6c5f65-17ba-4ee0-9669-e5b06f97c66c 

f71aaff4-a430-499c-9fc7-b46ccf579a6f 
   b122dc4dc04f198057d846a13c599eea 
Update: CTD after launch upon clean install from steam backup, UCP 2.6, updated all the hooks, pasted in the latest dynamic cockpits/bloom mod.

APPCRASH 
   Not available 
   XwingAlliance.exe 
   3765a9b7 
   NPClient.dll_unloaded 
   52e96a5f 
   c0000005 
   00001c59 

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB8A4.tmp.dmp \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB970.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB991.tmp.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB991.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERB9C1.tmp.txt 
   \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_XwingAlliance.ex_4b776cb3ed18e3e33fb7c0f3b713f9fdd3346033_35d6de86_5a417614-bbe5-4b86-8247-4346806fbe4d 

f9589398-b057-4f04-943c-6735b9b25d9f 
   b122dc4dc04f198057d846a13c599eea 

XwingAlliance.exe 
   3765a9b7 
   NPClient.dll_unloaded 
   52e96a5f 
   c0000005 
   00001c59 
   41f4 
   01d56dcc70726a8c 
   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance STEAM - UCPv2.6\XwingAlliance.exe 
   NPClient.dll 
   f9589398-b057-4f04-943c-6735b9b25d9f 

Another edit:

Okay, apparently I had track IR off and that was what was causing the CTD.

Looks good.

One issue I have with the X-Wing advance cockpit function, is that the screens on the sides are angled and it just doesn't look right to me. Obviously we probably should revisit this element in the future. Here's a screen from my end. Otherwise, seems to work well functionally.

The other thing I am curious about is, can we increase the size of the pixels in the radar displays? It's a bit too small. At 1920x1080 I can only get a gist of where the currently targeted ship is on a 40" screen, otherwise it's pretty unintelligible for me.
Screenshot 2019-09-17 19.59.39.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:09 am

Maybe a daft question, but which files do you just need to use the Bloom and not the Dynamic Cockpit

Could you list them please, thanks
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 am

Hey guys!

Thanks for checking out my work! Honestly, I'm a little baffled as to the multiple ways you guys have managed to break it. When I release something it's because it works for me. I've only got a couple of nVidia cards and an Intel integrated card and it works on all of them without any issues. Obviously that's not enough; but I don't have the hardware to test all combinations, so I'm going to need your help and patience here.

I'm going to address all your questions and bugs, one by one. However, if you'd like to help me fix these bugs faster, there's a few things you can add to your reports (and maybe PM me the details):

* Are you running with the Dynamic Cockpit on or off when these glitches happen? (Does the problem go away when you toggle the state of DC?)
* Are you using the 32-bit mode hook?
* Model, make and memory on your video card.
* In addition to the crash report, the game should create dump files (*.dmp) in the following location:

%localappdata%\CrashDumps
If you could please upload these files and send them to me, that'll also help a lot in figuring out where the game crashes.
* There's a file called vrerror.log that may contain additional details, please send it to me along with your report.

Finally, if there's anyone around with C/C++ expertise that would *really* like to help, I can share the link to the source code. A few of these problems sound like memory leaks (?), so it's going to be fun hunting them down.

Oh, and before I forget, a quick answer:
Darksaber wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:09 am
Maybe a daft question, but which files do you just need to use the Bloom and not the Dynamic Cockpit
Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lezbx270xqh ... y.zip?dl=0

That would be:

ddraw,cfg
ddraw.dll
bloom.cfg
dynamic_cockpig.cfg (with DC disabled)
hook_textures_tag.cfg
hook_textures_tag.dll
openvr_api.dll
vrparams.cfg
Now, let's review all the posts so far...

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:04 am

@Bman: Plutonium? LOL! I do exaggerate the bloom effect a bit in the pics I post to make it obvious that something is happening; fortunately you can customize that. For the windows there are two ways: set the "light_map_strength" to a value lower than 1 or set the "bloom_layer_mult_1" to a smaller value. "bloom_layer_mult_1" controls the bloom effect on small details, so if you only change this setting, the windows will Plutonium-Bloom again when you're close to them :P

@DarHan: Sorry; but I could never make ReShade work with my GPU. However, you could send me the crash report along with the dmp files and I'll see if there's something I can do.
For the target box bug I just uploaded another ddraw.dll (see the end of this message) with a quick-and-dirty fix. Please let me know if that fixed the problem. If not, could you please send me an image of what you're seeing?
XwingAlliance.exe should close on its own, I think what you're seeing is the game crashing/generating a dump when it's stopping and that's a bug I'm also seeing here sometimes (now that I'm paying attention). I'll try to fix that.

@Trevor thanks for your comments! I just fixed the bloom on the Turbolasers. Please try this version of ddraw:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8azbxcxgscb8h ... e.dll?dl=0

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 am

Driftwood wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 pm
Okay, apparently I had track IR off and that was what was causing the CTD.
OK, please help me understand something: are the CTDs gone now? It looks like your crashes were related only to TrackIR. If not, please send me the dmp files and I'll take a look.
Driftwood wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:58 pm
One issue I have with the X-Wing advance cockpit function, is that the screens on the sides are angled and it just doesn't look right to me. Obviously we probably should revisit this element in the future... The other thing I am curious about is, can we increase the size of the pixels in the radar displays? It's a bit too small.
Yes, I understand your problems here. The screens on the sides are angled because the texture is "slanted" and DC expects textures to be aligned with the x-y axes. Yes, the radars are too small. Both problems can be fixed by updating the mesh on the cockpit, so some rework is needed here; but I see this as a long-term project that will have to be discussed/approved with the XWAUP team. In the meantime, you can either disable these specific elements or disable the "erase_region" commands in the X-Wing cockpit so that you get the normal HUD display and the DC. See the Y-Wing's cockpit for an example on that. Feel free to contact me if you need more details.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:59 pm

I've found an few issues, I only have the Bloom installed, but the problem is with the DDraw.dll or OpenVR_API.dll, when you exit the game, everything seems to close are it should, but the XwingAlliance.exe is still running, if you try to run another instance of XWA it crashes, found this be accident when running Task Manager to close XWA, I found 2 instances of XwingAlliance.exe still running.

I closed each and restarted the game, everything runs fine, if a bit bright, but a bit of tweaking solved that, but each time I exit the game, I have to go to Task Manager to close the XwingAlliance.exe completely.

Just discovered, when starting the game it goes to the Concourse, if you stay on the concourse the game exits completely, it's only when to enter Skirmish or Pilot Proving and then you exit the game, the XwingAlliance.exe is still running

Tested again by removing all the Bloom/Dynamic stuff and replacing with the standard DDraw.dll and Cfg files, the XwingAlliance.exe closes fine

Issue 2#
I go to the Craft Library the screen loads
CL1a.jpg
But when the craft tries to load the screen background goes black like so:-
CL2a.jpg
I thought it may have something to do with edited *.dat files or *cbm files, so I replaced the Resdata and the Frontres folder with all the original files and it still happens

Issue 3#
Pilot Proving ground, I enter the hangar (I do have the bloom enabled, but it's toned down) I have all the original Planet.dats, so no fancy backgrounds, just the original starfield,
PPG1a.jpg
I press space to enter the Rings, and I just see this a black background, with the bloom effects
PPG2a.jpg
I've just disabled the Hook_32bpp.dll and set all the DDraw.cfg

; 32-BIT MODE HOOK ENHANCEMENTS.
; In this mode, some textures may become dull, these settings will make
; them brighter. Set them to 0 when not using the 32-bit mode hook.
EnhanceLasers = 0
EnhanceIlluminationTextures = 0
EnhanceEngineGlow = 0
EnhanceExplosions = 0

And I still get the black screen with bloom effects

But if you fly through the ring the opts appear like so
PPG3a.jpg
Missions, B1M4
Again it seems fine
B1M4a.jpg
Test with
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Really strange!! :(

Sorry I can't post an error report, because it doesn't crash :(
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Hey Darksaber! Thanks for your very detailed report!

The game is not hanging for me when exiting; but I did find a problem with the textures when shutting down and I'm trying to fix that. I'm going to try and reproduce the other issues you're seeing. Do you mind sharing the video card model and RAM you're using?

The black background may have something to do with Z-Buffering. I made a quick-and-dirty fix yesterday for that. Can you try again using this ddraw?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8azbxcxgscb8h ... e.dll?dl=0

One more thing: did you add the nose back to the X-Wing cockpit?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 pm

It's not hanging, it appears to closes down as normal, but if you open task manager, the XwingAlliance.exe is still running, only does it when I use your ddraw.dll and the openvr_api.dll, I'm not sure which it stopping it closing down completely though

I tried to test individually, but you can't run the ddraw.dll with out the openvr_api.dll

Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB DDR 2
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1GB

And yes I've added the nose back to the Xwing, but it only shows if you use the alternate cockpit, that is with standard viewing no VR or dynamic cockpit

Ah I tested the ddraw you included with the Bloom package, then I noticed you uploaded another ddraw.dll for Trevor yesterday, so I downloaded that also, still the same results with either.

Like I said I though it might have been some changes I made to the planets dats as I changed them to 32bit, but I replaced them with the vanilla xwa versions, just to cut out that possibility.
- John Lydgate

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 Ghz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB DDR3
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX760 2GB

The only non-DSUCP part of my game is Spyder’s X-Wing.

I have pretty much the same issues as DarkSaber. I’m not using dynamic cockpits, but if I do, the black screen issue also appears in the cockpit view while inside the hangar (external view doesn’t have the problem).

Process still doesn’t end when I exit the game. AFAIK, it’s not because it’s generating a crash dump.

Here’s the link to the crashdump for when I try to run bloom and ReShade together: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6i9q2mloy2spf ... p.zip?dl=0
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:29 am

Thanks for the additional info guys (actually, I'm a moron: you *did* state your video card model on your first post, Darksaber, I just missed it!). I'm going to need a bit more help figuring out why things go black on your side. If you press Ctrl+Alt+A while in flight, that will toggle the Bloom effect. Could you confirm that toggling the effect removes the black artifacts?

BTW, I think I figured out why the game "hangs" when it's exiting, I'll post a new ddraw soon; but I think I'm also going to add extra debug information as well.

@DarHan: I just downloaded the crash dump, I'll take a look at it to see if there's anything I can do.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am

Alright, here's a new version of ddraw.dll:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oygxs11hsc8db ... b.dll?dl=0

In this version I've attempted to fix the hung XwingAlliance.exe process when exiting the game. I've also modified how the bloom effect handles transparency to see if that fixes the black artifacts and I've also added some debug hotkeys.

@DarkSaber and @DarHan: If you press Ctrl+Alt+D while flying, the game will dump a few _*.jpg and _*.dds files with the contents used to compute the bloom effect on the same path where XWA is installed. If you're still seeing artifacts, could you please capture these files and send them to me? It would help me figure out what's going on. Thanks!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am

Ok quick test with the old ddraw, pressing Ctrl+Alt+A to remove the bloom, just leaves a black screen with your hud, same as the image above without the bloom

Just tried the ddraw you posted above but got the message
kernelerror.jpg
- John Lydgate

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:37 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am
Ok quick test with the old ddraw, pressing Ctrl+Alt+A to remove the bloom, just leaves a black screen with your hud
Thanks for checking this, one more question: what happens if you start the game with bloom disabled in bloom.cfg?

That error message you posted means that I linked with DirectXTK Win10 runtimes -- even though you *did* warn me that you were running Win7. Sorry about that -- I'll fix it. However, that leads me to my next question: would you know if it's possible to run XWA on Win7 through VMware? That's currently the only way I can run XWA on Win7 and now I'm suspecting that will have something to do with the artifacts you're seeing (I also upgraded all the shaders to SM 5.0 and now I'm thinking maybe Win7 doesn't support that model...)

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Same results here on both counts.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:40 pm

blue_max wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:37 pm
Thanks for checking this, one more question: what happens if you start the game with bloom disabled in bloom.cfg?
Pilot proving ground, hangar seems ok, obviously no bloom, launch the craft, and it's a black screen with no bloom effects :)
blue_max wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:37 pm
That error message you posted means that I linked with DirectXTK Win10 runtimes -- even though you *did* warn me that you were running Win7. Sorry about that -- I'll fix it. However, that leads me to my next question: would you know if it's possible to run XWA on Win7 through VMware? That's currently the only way I can run XWA on Win7 and now I'm suspecting that will have something to do with the artifacts you're seeing (I also upgraded all the shaders to SM 5.0 and now I'm thinking maybe Win7 doesn't support that model...)
I'm only a droid and not very knowledgeable about such things
I'm sorry I can't answer your question about VMWare, I'm already running win7 so I've no need to use Virtual Machine to run XWA, sorry :D
- John Lydgate

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:55 pm

That explains why it works here since Im on 10.

Might need to do a dxfeature/OS check in ddraw if certain enhancements only work with certain dx levels.

Trev

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Yup, that helps narrow down the issue. At least now I know it's not actually related to the bloom shader. The other thing I changed was the shader model (increased it to 5.0). Maybe Win7 doesn't like that. I'll roll it back and post a new version to see if that fixes the artifacts.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:30 pm

FYI, works fine for me now and looks good.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:05 am

I'm glad it worked for you, Driftwood! I'm guessing you're running Win10, right?

OK, here's another version of ddraw:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnaddwo6pztho ... a.dll?dl=0

I've linked with Win7 libraries now and I rolled back the shaders down to SM4.0; but something happened and I think the game is hanging again when closing... I'm trying to fix that.

@DarkSaber & @DarHan: let me know if the version above works for you. I appreciate your help here.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Sorry to say the new DDraw does exactly the same as before, Black screen with bloom artefacts in the Pilot Proving Ground, you still get the black screen in the craft Library too, seems ok in skirmish mode though

it's weird it you go to external view in PPG everything seems fine, I tried different craft to see if that made a diference, no at all, it was the same with each I tried

I even tried removing the other hooks, to see it that made a difference, no luck there either, still got the black screen

Did a screen dump using Ctrl+Alt+D for you if that helps ScreenDumpStuff.rar

Oh and you right I still have to use task manager to actually close down XwingAlliance.exe

Sorry I can't be more positive :(
- John Lydgate

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:46 pm

That's fine Darksaber, thanks for your patience and your help! At least now I know it was not the shader model and it's not crashing anymore either. Thanks for the screen shots, I'll take a look later.

So, you're saying that if you go into external view everything looks fine? Even when bloom is enabled?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:29 pm

blue_max wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:46 pm
That's fine Darksaber, thanks for your patience and your help! At least now I know it was not the shader model and it's not crashing anymore either. Thanks for the screen shots, I'll take a look later.

So, you're saying that if you go into external view everything looks fine? Even when bloom is enabled?
No problem at all, sorry I waited so long to test it,

Yes in External view with or without bloom everything seems fine, it just the cockpit view in the Pilot Proving Ground that keeps going black

Even in skirmish and mission it's fine in the cockpit view

Seem fine though for everyone that runs win10 unless people aren't testing it, dunno

There are, I'm afraid a few of us that still prefer Win7 though

I didn't like Win10 at the time it came out, as I couldn't run half the tools for XWA, but since that time, we have new tools that run on both win7 and 10, next year Microsoft are stopping supporting win7, so the upgrade to win10 is drawing nearer :(
- John Lydgate

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 pm

Well, I'm not a big fan of Win10 either. In fact, I had to kill the upgrade engine with extreme prejudice because the upgrades are no longer optional and the last one broke a very important piece of hardware (the pen, I've got a Surface Book 2). So, I respect your decision to stay in Win7 -- I just got a Win7 VMware image of that so maybe I'll be able to repro these bugs.

From what you're describing, it sounds like it's related to the HUD. To apply the bloom properly, I had to split the HUD from the rest of the render in each frame (otherwise the HUD is also bloomed and becomes unreadable); but in external mode, no HUD is rendered at all, so I don't have to do any of this extra processing. The thing that baffles me is that you're seeing artifacts even when the bloom is off. Anyway, the next thing is to try removing this HUD processing to see if that fixes the artifacts.

Thanks for your help!

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:44 am

OH!, yeah I had that problem a while back (during DC's introduction), if you turn off the targeting hud (end key) the black screen should disappear.

It seemed to only happen with a target acquired, if the hud was empty it didn't black out

Trev