Craft Adding Limit....

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Craft Adding Limit....

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:30 am

Just a question.... anyway to add more craft to XWA other that the 218 limit? You would think XWA could add more craft because it has an allotted 271.... just a thought.... :?

Sincerely. Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:59 pm

I think the subject has been researched extensively, and it does not seem likely we will ever see more slots. I'd love to be proven wrong but at this point it has created things like opt replacement as a result of the limit.
Image Image Image Image Image

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:19 am

The only slim possibility and I've not tested this ... is moving/referencing models to or from the Equipment0.lst vs. SpaceCraft0.lst files and editing the offsets to tell game engine where to find that. For example, the Sats, mines, probes, Buoys, droids, and other things are in Equipment0.lst file and yet they are directly accessible while other .opts are not. They have unique but editable attributes. It's a domino effect too because there are other issues that are related-- ship stats of the slot and type etc. The strings.txt file represents the engine's fixed number of slots. Search for the craft sections and you can count them for proof. You could ask the question... can other .opt models referenced in Equipment0.lst file be accessed and freed up and replaced with something else on a temporary basis?

For example there are a ton of internal DeathStar superstructure models that are not used except at very end of the game. It's hardcoded somewhere to load sequentially, but I've always wondered how that part can be manipulated. Substituting those models with something else, like ground based mountains and a riverbed terrain, forrests, tunnels, or cities (NarShadaa) could theoretically work. As long as it's the same size for starts. I believe HangarMapEditor lists the index table number of all the default .opt files besides other non-usable slots. Just throwing creative ideas out there...
Last edited by Bman on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 pm

I imagine if we ever did figure it out, XWA would easily become THE comprehensive SW space combat sim in existence, with legends/canon and the popular fan created OPTs. That is until something like XWVM surpasses it.
Image Image Image Image Image

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 pm

I think it should be possible to have a hook dynamically load craft data during mission loading from .shp files based on a per-mission or per-battle craft list, overwriting the data present in the exe. Essentially doing the same thing MXvTED does with .shp files and the exe, "just in time" to play the mission. It would touch a lot of things, though, like the tech room, film room, skirmish, craft icons for briefings, and probably more stuff I haven't thought of.

XWVM may not suffer from a slot limit at all, courtesy of modern design.
Last edited by keiranhalcyon7 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:16 pm

Ok, thanks guys for the responses.

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:18 am

I'm interested in this. On my club, Emperor's Hammer, we have a patcher we use when a custom craft is needed on a campaign. I believe however, something can be done with XWA. Yes a massive amount of work but worth the effort because yes ,it'd be the ultimate SW sim.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI