New release: TIE Silencer

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New release: TIE Silencer

Turgidson
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Turgidson » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 pm

My points about the lasers removal are purely speculative. But if I were force-sensitive and able to take advantage of (even more) extreme manoeuvrability and speed, I'd take it (at the expense of slightly reduced firepower... in a ship that still keeps strong firepower).

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 am

also the table top game isn't technically canon, and they'd probably alter some stats for gameplay reasons.

Wookieepedia has the specs provided by the Cross-sections book and the TIE Fighter owner's manual. Which are canon sources.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kylo_R ... E_silencer

Sadly no speed given.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 am

Technically speaking everything produced post Disney take over IS canon as stated by the company, including games, movies, novels, comics, ect. which logically would include RPGs and table games.

More importantly in this case opinions aside, FFG X-Wing is currently the only source even hinting at the speed and maneuverability capabilities of the TIE Silencer via their game mechanics. The wiki does not even address or speculate the speed stats, which means the tech guide doesn't either.
If you notice, there is a trend for most ship speed stats listed on the wiki not existing on the "canon" pages unless it's based off of pre-existing background information from WEG for instance, or X-Wing series craft stats that just happened to make it over from the "legends" page during the transition.

FFG's X-Wing stat system sets an accurate baseline to work with, and I have compared those stats to the XWA stats (several times in the past for other projects) and they are close enough to give me a rough set of numbers to work with to calculate an approximate speed, maneuverability, shield, and hull rating of the TIE Silencer based off of the X-Wing, A-Wing, and Y-Wing card stats using simple math and logic when based on that alone, I can either accurately put XWA craft into the tabletop game or accurately port those craft in to XWA. This was done with the Fang fighter, and it performs accurately enough in XWA when compared to the tabletop game to be content with the fact it's a reasonably accurate interpretation when compared to what we've seen on the Rebels series also.

And regardless of whether or not our or Disney's opinions consider FFG X-wing cannon, the system is extremely balanced and converts stats very well into and out of XWA. I've played several games with XWA ships on the tabletop (3d prints) that most people thought were very cool and well balanced, if at times underwhelming. (Cloakshape being most notable disappointment performance wise; which based off of XWA stats is entirely intentional.) Ironically at first they were skeptical and resistant to playing with custom ship cards, but when I explained the system I used to convert from the digital medium when using FFG's rules, explained the ship types (cloak shape, T-Wing, R-41, PES) design philosophy and use and their observed performance on the table, they changed their opinions pretty fast.

I can break down some numbers in another thread sometime for anybody interested.

With the Silencer DTM's gotten the craft pretty darn close to my theorized statistics to be considered an accurate representation of the ship in XWA. I haven't analyzed the ship from the angle he has mentioned regarding the cannon layout, and I'm 50/50 on the loadout he's chosen, but he is right about the prototype status and I suspect it's entirely likely that the weapon hardpoints are modular enough they could be traded out to lend the craft to be utilized in more than one role.

This is one of those instances of balance minded creative license made necessary given that not all information is available, or consistent in the NU Star Wars properties era.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 am
Sadly no speed given.
It's listed in the TIE/vn article as 155 MGLT, citing TFOWM: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/vn ... ty_fighter
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:30 pm

That's one tough little ship... ;)
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:33 am
Technically speaking everything produced post Disney take over IS canon as stated by the company, including games, movies, novels, comics, ect. which logically would include RPGs and table games.
That's not true. The Lego animated series isn't canon according to the Storygroup (though it also not allowed to contradict canon), nor is everything in the "Galaxy of Heroes" mobile game canon.
Leland Chee commented on FFG, saying it's considered legends.
https://i.redd.it/hahu5yp12fp31.jpg

Wookieepedia's stance on it, is that info related to canon material is put in canon articles, and info related to currently legends only material is put in legends

Rich C wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:59 pm
It's listed in the TIE/vn article as 155 MGLT, citing TFOWM: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/vn ... ty_fighter
Ah whoops, I was only looking at the page for Kylo's personal Silencer which is missing the speed stat.