Starship Vinyl Kill Decals.

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Starship Vinyl Kill Decals.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 pm

So, in the 501st there are sheets of kill markers floating around made by certain members. While the 501st doesn't officially allow them on helmets, a lot of people put them on their armor totes to denote number of troops. Me, I'm notorious for saying to hell with the rules, especially with all the recent club drama.

So in a recent urge to further the cause of chaos, I have purchased myself a vinyl cutter and am gonna make some for myself. Be it my tote or my helmet, DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

Anyway, with all that unnecessary backstory out of the way I'll get to the point. Most of the stickers floating around are real basic film only garbage, but I intend to make the whole gambit of silhouette stickers. Starvipers, Preybirds, IRDs, R-41s Whatever.

I was hoping, probably Darksaber, has a master image of all the ship hull icons used in DSUCP. Now the low res from the hull icons wont cut it, if there is a high res version floating around, I could most definitely use that, however, if not, I can use the low res file to trace some higher res versions.

At some point if ya'll wanna get in on this, I might be able to ship some out for cost of materials/shipping and a small fee to cover time investment. HOWEVER this is not an attempt to make a crap load of cash from it as I have a job and its doing fine.

I'll post progress pics here eventually. Some of you salty old simmers might maybe put them on your PC tower or whatever, I'll probably do the same. And don't worry, I'll make empire kill markers too for all you insurgent rebels.
Image Image Image Image Image

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Sorry no high res hull icons, I used optech to take image of the top view of the craft, rotate it 180 degrees, remove the black background to create an alpha layer, convert it to greyscale, bump up the brightness, so basically it's a reversed silhouette, then resize to 32 x 32 and save, they where never really high res to begin with.

Sorry I can't help, to be honest you'll be better starting from scratch as the images I have are really low res and in on png file for use with fireworks, if imported to photoshop the layers will be lost, plus they wouldn't really be any good to trace around.

I'm sure there would be a better way to take the images of the craft
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:26 am

It should be a relatively simple matter to add a mode to XWA opt viewer to generate silhouettes, but you'd have to ask Jeremy about that.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:35 am

If he's willing to code it, it would save a crap load of time, however its not a requirement by any means. I'm still learning the basics of this machine. It's made for housewives I guess, so I'm doing a cheesy greeting card tutorial now.

Seems like a cool machine though. Does a bunch of stuff. Can apparently even cut EVA foam for making cosplay armor and stuff.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Hello,

I am working on it.

XWING-Hull.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Hold the phone guys. I made some sneak progress last night.

Here is a basic sheet of decals. Starfighters average around 1 inch at their longest axis, and 2 inches for the cap ships. Then I threw in a KDY logo to fill some space.

The work of clearing out the negative space can be a little labor intensive. I sorta get why ready to place vinyl decals are a little pricey.
For those unfamiliar, once the cutter cuts the shapes off the square sheet of vinyl, I then have to go and delicately remove all the negative space with a little exacto knife. To get an idea, the guns on the A-wing are about the size of a needle point. I also didnt fully fill the sheet, which meant there was a lot of empty vinyl to remove. I could have crammed a whole lot more on the sheet but this was a test.

I managed to use optech to get proper facing images of quite a few starfighters and cap ships the night prior and then cleaned them up and printed them last night.

Everyone, don't do extra work at this point, however, higher res versions of everything is always good for raw backup data so keep going if you find it might be useful in the future.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Jeremy, that actually looks pretty slick, in fact that tool could be useful for any future OPTs people make where the icon is auto generated saving someone a little time.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:44 pm

The user will be able to choose between Up, Front and Side views.

BWING-Hull.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:21 pm

See, this is handy, especially if its orthographic.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, it is orthographic.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:03 am

Wow, real nice, Jeremy!
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Hello,

I've uploaded a preview version of the tool here: Xwa Hull Icon Generator.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:34 pm

I passed quite a few out to fellow TIE pilots at the premier and they seem to be great hits.

But even their tiny details appeared to hold up on my armor tote.