play xwing vs tie fighter missions on xwa

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

play xwing vs tie fighter missions on xwa

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi,

I ask if exist a poring conversion of xwing vs tie fighter to xwing alliance.

I see progress of xwa that are incredible .... seem a modern space simulator like squadron 42.

But the mission of xwing vs tie fighter are again excellent.

There is a way to play the old xwing vs tie fighter missions on xwa ?

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:22 pm
Hi,

I ask if exist a poring conversion of xwing vs tie fighter to xwing alliance.

I see progress of xwa that are incredible .... seem a modern space simulator like squadron 42.

But the mission of xwing vs tie fighter are again excellent.

There is a way to play the old xwing vs tie fighter missions on xwa ?
I am not entirely sure. The missions use the same format, but I don't think a straight port is that simple.

@DS

Go easy on the rooks ;)

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:12 pm

I don't think there has been a port of XvT missions to XWA.

I remember there have been efforts to make older XWAUP craft playable in XvT but the last I heard of that was some 15ish years ago.

So, I wouldn't get my hope sup.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:43 am

I have one TFTC mission that alludes to the prelude of XvT BOP a/k/a "Operation Strike Fear," during that time line. The large Imperial Task Force arrives briefly, to pursue the main Alliance fleet fleeing into that sector. It takes place at the end of "Battle 4: Conflict At Mylok IV" where Adm. Zaarin finally obtains the hyperdrive technology. It is a long mission :-) but none of the missions from XvT/BOP are used. I suppose they could be inserted in between Battle 4 and 5 of TF as an "anthology" event like Rogue One movie, if people "really want that," but it's not in the works. Also users would be required to own XvT/BoP CD, or via GOG, or Steam as well as TF and XWA as proof they have a valid licensed products. DS already does a great job with that through all the installers so it's done properly.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 am

Someone, can tell me where I can download the editor source code of both (xvt and xwa) ?

If the source code are in vb,c# or c++, I like try to implement a partial batch converter that make compatibible the xvt missions on xwa with some compromise.

But to do it I need the source code of both editors.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:29 am

Ha you're a funny one! If the source code were available it wouldn't have taken us 20 years to try and decifer bits of the exe and/or use workarounds to get certain effects done.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:55 am

now I have understand how is hard do it.

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:08 pm

YOGEME can convert missions, but the flight engines are different so it's not a simple straight port. There's other little tweaks that have to made throughout the mission (some are handled automatically in the converter) so it'll perform "properly" in XWA. Depending on the XvT mission, there's also the aspect that many/most of them were designed to be capable of multiplayer as well.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt