[Solved] Wireframe CMD and HUD scaling

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Wireframe CMD and HUD scaling

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Two questions from a newbie:

1. Can I enable just wireframe CMD, without dynamic cockpits? I've been playing around with the options in Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg and it seems that enable_wireframe_CMD parameter only works when dynamic_cockpit_enabled is also on. But I'd just like to have wireframe with the old HUD.

2. Can I scale up the HUD? I'm using 1920x1080 resolution and the 1.49 scaling is just a little too small for me, but can't figure out where to change this.
Last edited by RandomChain on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:34 am

RandomChain wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:38 pm
1. Can I enable just wireframe CMD, without dynamic cockpits? I've been playing around with the options in Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg and it seems that enable_wireframe_CMD parameter only works when dynamic_cockpit_enabled is also on. But I'd just like to have wireframe with the old HUD.
You need to have DC on (in Dynamic_Cockpit.cfg), but you can disable the DC for individual cockpits. Go to the DynamicCockpit directory and rename all "*.dc" files to "*.d_" (or move them somewhere else). It's a bit of a hack, but that will do the trick.
2. Can I scale up the HUD? I'm using 1920x1080 resolution and the 1.49 scaling is just a little too small for me, but can't figure out where to change this.
I can see two options for this:

1. Run xwahacker and change the HUD scale there (warning: if you set it too high, you might see artifacts in the text)
2. Use a lower in-game resolution (800x600, for instance), but keep your desktop at 1920x1080. The game should scale the image to cover your screen, along with the HUD.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks, this works.
However while playing with different scales on xwahacker I somehow got the lower line on the target display (where it shows identification and target component) to be cut, like it's trying to display it below the image, and I can't revert that even when going back to a lower HUD scale. Is there some way to like move the whole image up or something? Just moving the HUD part itself doesn't fix it, bottom line is still cut.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:53 pm

RandomChain wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:36 am
However while playing with different scales on xwahacker I somehow got the lower line on the target display (where it shows identification and target component) to be cut,
Can you post an image of the problem, please? You can also post a screenshot of the xwahacker GUI so that we can see the settings in there.

In the meantime you can try setting the following in DDraw.cfg:

Text2DRendererEnabled = 1
TextFontFamily = Verdana
TextWidthDelta = 0

You may already have these settings in there. The above resets the font to its default values -- that might help.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm

DDraw.cfg options are as the default, haven't changed that.
I do have Text2DAntiAlias enabled.

This is xwinghacker GUI.
Right now I only have the last resolution option changed, although I did play with the FPS setting before so maybe that broke something?
I'm using option 4, change from 1600x1200 : 1.49 to 1920x1080 : 1.80 (my native screen resolution is 2560x1440).

Here's what I get during flight, the bottom row where it says "No Cargo" and "Hull" is cut.
If you zoom in, it looks like the game is trying to show the text below the border of the purple HUD box.
After some more tries I can get the text to appear when going back to 1.49 scale.

However while in the hanger, the line where it says "Torpedoes" is cut, and no scale changes can fix it.
(this image is after going back to 1.49 scale)

I'm using Linux and running via Lutris, if it matters.

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:43 am

RandomChain wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:21 pm
DDraw.cfg options are as the default, haven't changed that.
I do have Text2DAntiAlias enabled.

This is xwinghacker GUI.
Right now I only have the last resolution option changed, although I did play with the FPS setting before so maybe that broke something?
I'm using option 4, change from 1600x1200 : 1.49 to 1920x1080 : 1.80 (my native screen resolution is 2560x1440).

Here's what I get during flight, the bottom row where it says "No Cargo" and "Hull" is cut.
If you zoom in, it looks like the game is trying to show the text below the border of the purple HUD box.
After some more tries I can get the text to appear when going back to 1.49 scale.

However while in the hanger, the line where it says "Torpedoes" is cut, and no scale changes can fix it.
(this image is after going back to 1.49 scale)

I'm using Linux and running via Lutris, if it matters.
Which Lutris installer are you using? The dedicated XWAUpgrade installer already runs XWAHacker as part of the installation process. Granted this only supports the GOG version at this time.

I've not been able to duplicate your issue locally. Are you using one of the older Lutris installers or the new 2020 Mega Patch version that's replaced them both?

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:33 am

I've got your installer from here: https://github.com/dhollinger/lutris_in ... allers/xwa
which I see you've just updated - used xwaupgrade-full.yaml which I downloaded on 23/11.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:24 am

I just did a clean install with the Mega Patch installer, and as soon as I change the resolution, it gets messed up and I can't fix it.
Even after running the configurator and setting the resolution back to original.

I'm also having an issue where I could run xwa.bat just after the installation, but now it complains that "ERROR:#011Invalid command line argument: X-Wing Alliance Launcher".

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:43 pm

RandomChain wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:24 am
I just did a clean install with the Mega Patch installer, and as soon as I change the resolution, it gets messed up and I can't fix it.
Even after running the configurator and setting the resolution back to original.
I'm not sure how the configurator and xwahacker interact, so the configurator may not actually work in that situation. I haven't tested that. That said, the HUD scale needs to be set higher for some of the new stuff. I don't have xwahacker gui installed, so I'd need to grab that to check. I may replace XWAHacker in the future and just use the XWAUpgrade resolution tool.

EDIT: These are my settings and I can see everything without issue right now:

EDIT2: I stand corrected on the HUD scale. I guess my works well with 1.80
I'm also having an issue where I could run xwa.bat just after the installation, but now it complains that "ERROR:#011Invalid command line argument: X-Wing Alliance Launcher".
If you install using the local installers, you'll need to pull the latest version from Github. I found some bugs last night and fixed them, then updated the installer on Lutris.net. Completely forgot to push the changes to the Github repo until now though.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:01 pm

I did another clean install, didn't touch anything afterwards, and still getting that glitch.
I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for your help.

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm

RandomChain wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:01 pm
I did another clean install, didn't touch anything afterwards, and still getting that glitch.
I guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks for your help.
Be sure to make sure you check to see if your copy of xwa.bat file matches the one found at https://github.com/dhollinger/lutris_in ... wa/xwa.bat

I just had to fix another mistake I had made.

You should NOT have to reinstall. The installer itself didn't change, just the .bat file, which you can download and copy/replace.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I was trying to see if it happens because of something I do, but it looks like some resolution/scale combinations just don't work for me, and it's not some config file I changed.

The xwa.bat issue is fixed, thanks for that.

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Have you installed the latest XWAU2020 Patch? There are some fixes for the Mega Patch in there. You may have to add a new registry key that disabled DXVK for the installer since DXVK and those .NET installers don't play well together.

I will be updating the Lutris installer later tonight to include the patch as well.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:37 am

So, you're trying to run the game on Linux? I'm not sure if this helps, but the new text renderer is using Windows fonts, so maybe something in the DPI conversion is wrong. May I suggest that you disable the new text renderer by setting:

Text2DRendererEnabled = 0

In DDraw.cfg. That should use the game's font instead of Windows fonts.

RandomChain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by RandomChain » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:55 am

Yes! That solves it! Thank you so much! Now I can finally use high scales without issues.
So weird I didn't think of changing that setting myself...