New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue May 12, 2020 4:34 pm

Honestly, I preferred this version of the cockpit:
korekwerner wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:10 pm
New hud test version, please suggestions for it. Thank you @Blue_Max and @JeremyaFr and everyone who positively influences inspiration for further work.

The new version you've changed seems to be losing some of the information cohesion. Targeting information is now scattered all over the cockpit and it looks a bit untidy, as well as un-grouping a lot of good information.

The speed and throttle readouts are now getting lost by the CMD information. They were much clearer where they were before.

Having the shield charge indicator next to the shield readout was good design. I don't care as much about what it does to the total power - I know what effect the various levels will have on the engine - I care about picking the right charge level based on what my shield status is. I preferred the design you had before too where it wrapped around the shield bubble, but I'm not fussed if you prefer even square bars like in the new one.

I like the idea of putting the Beam readout in the little tube on the top, it's a nice touch. I wouldn't worry too much about accommodating Beam weapons, though. X-Wings aren't supposed to have them, and adding them for Skirmish or a custom mission wouldn't suffer too badly for just using the standard HUD. If you're set on including the beam charge level too, maybe on the right side of the cockpit above the RMD information? There's a series of vertical white LEDs there that could easily be replaced by a small beam meter.

I don't know what to suggest in terms of the Target Component and Cargo readouts, though. It's obvious that since adding the Current Orders readout right above the targeting computer that space for a text readout is hard to come by. But I feel like they need to be closer to the rest of the targeting data. Like I said above, I think the version I quoted had the best layout. If the only thing missing from that is the Current Orders for the target craft, then maybe add that above the 'upper' CMD display (with the craft model), or in the space to the right of it between the astromech dialogue panel and that bank of lights/switches?

The addition of the Craft ID and mission timer is good, and looks like it's in a good place.

I'm going to echo what everyone else said and agree that the radar displays folding up is very weird. Even shrinking like you have in the newer version. I'm just not sure... why? It's cool that you can have elements of the cockpit change with the s-foils, but just because you can I don't think that you should. You would still want to use the radar with s-foils closed.

I was going to suggest if you were going to do it with anything, do it with the laser charge indicators because you can't shoot with s-foils closed anyway. But then I thought there have been times when I'm flying with s-foils closed for 'realism', but still been tweaking power settings. So that's a bad idea too. Ultimately, I don't think there's any reason to ever hide or reduce information for a player. I get that you want to make it feel like you're in 'attack mode', but I think all the standard information should be visible at all times.

Not being sure how you've made that radar shrinking work with the s-foils, this might not be possible, but if you want to make an element of the cockpit change with the s-foils, why not just make that an s-foils indicator? I know the cockpit's pretty crammed with readouts as is, but if you can find a small bit of space is there any way you could include a little front on wireframe of the X-Wing with open s-foils that changes to the same texture with s-foils closed with the s-foils themselves? That would be really cool.

Hope you don't mind all that text. I think what you've done with Spyder's cockpit is seriously cool, and is one of the best blends of movie accuracy with XWA's many, many data readouts I can imagine. I love how you've integrated even the messages, and the working targeting computer is awesome. I'd really like to get my hands on this eventually, and I'm hoping when you're happy to release this that it's the best it can be.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:02 am

Will T wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:34 pm
I'm going to echo what everyone else said and agree that the radar displays folding up is very weird. Even shrinking like you have in the newer version. I'm just not sure... why? It's cool that you can have elements of the cockpit change with the s-foils, but just because you can I don't think that you should. You would still want to use the radar with s-foils closed.

I was going to suggest if you were going to do it with anything, do it with the laser charge indicators because you can't shoot with s-foils closed anyway. But then I thought there have been times when I'm flying with s-foils closed for 'realism', but still been tweaking power settings. So that's a bad idea too. Ultimately, I don't think there's any reason to ever hide or reduce information for a player. I get that you want to make it feel like you're in 'attack mode', but I think all the standard information should be visible at all times.

Not being sure how you've made that radar shrinking work with the s-foils, this might not be possible, but if you want to make an element of the cockpit change with the s-foils, why not just make that an s-foils indicator? I know the cockpit's pretty crammed with readouts as is, but if you can find a small bit of space is there any way you could include a little front on wireframe of the X-Wing with open s-foils that changes to the same texture with s-foils closed with the s-foils themselves? That would be really cool.
DTM's x-wing cockpit uses mesh rotation to add an s-foils actuation lever, which I thought was clever. Simulating a readout could be doable as well, by having a mesh that sits just barely in front of another mesh in one mode, and rotates backwards through that mesh in the other. But what I'd really like to see is the laser targeting pips around the reticle disappear when the wings are closed.

And I'd still like to know how that animation was done, too. It doesn't look like isn't any "standard mesh animation" that I know of.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Wed May 13, 2020 6:48 am

I agree on liking the ‘older’ version too where the shield charge indicator is close to the shield strenght indicator. And I like the fact it’s drawn ‘ around’ the strenght indicator because, well it looks cool ;)

And an indicator to see the sfoil stat would indeed be pretty cool too!

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed May 13, 2020 7:26 am

Here is version 17 and 18.

Thank you for any advise.

Regards
KW

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Wed May 13, 2020 6:08 pm

for my opinion 2 things:

1) dist,shd,hull,sys, unknown must be put in the some box and not in different regions.
2) can be a good idea put throttle and speed on the right and create an indicator similar to shield. So on the left there is the shield (and it is good like it is) and on the right there is the speed/trottle, it is more ordered.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 6:05 am

First of all, your cockpit shows your shield percentage (as it should be), whereas this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBFVMD-PrU ) doesn't have it.
Secondly, there if definitely some improvements over the previous versions as for sensors and also shield recharge indicator (though it's doubled).

If I can give one last minor suggestion: given that you've placed the shield recharge power indicator next to the shield percentage, it might be a good idea to also place the cannon recharge power indicator next to the cannon charge bars and the beam recharge power indicator next to the beam total charge indicator.
In this way you gain space for engine related info: engine power indicator, speed and throttle percentage.

Red=cannon recharge power indicator
Teal=engine related info: speed, throttle percentage and engine power indicator
Green=stat to move
Purple=beam related info: beam recharge power indicator and beam total charge indicator (only 1 of the sides, your choice)
Inkedxwing-cockpit-test-70-D_LI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 6:13 am

In this way you can put all info related to the target at the sides of the target rectangle.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:20 am

Is that vertical bar between the laser and shield charge rate indicators, that fades from red to green, a throttle slider? Or if not, does it have a function? (Can it be made into a throttle slider :sign?:)

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu May 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Another idea with the lasers and sensors.
link to the short clip - https://youtu.be/x_3mvkAQ0WI

Regards
KW

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 5:13 pm

OK, I've accepted the idea that you cannot live without the sensors opening with s-foils, but at least you might place the 2 centers on the same point.
I mean the center of the big sensor and the center of the small sensor should be placed on the same point.
In this way you make the idea that the big sensors and the small ones are the same.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu May 14, 2020 5:25 pm

Another thing to note about the sensors: both the big sensors and the small ones need to display all info about the objects, I mean all the dots must always be visible.
Even when you have your s-foils closed and you cannot shoot with cannons you need to know all info available about the other crafts and objects in space.
This is due for many purposes such as route changes, evasive maneuvers and so on.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Thu May 14, 2020 5:37 pm

I agree on the sensors, they should be always visible. They are part of the ‘physical’ cockpit, having them appear and disappear makes them part of the game in my opinion.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu May 14, 2020 6:28 pm

I thought it was a pretty good idea, I would still like to know how you made the sensors shrink though, I have a pretty good idea how you did it
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 14, 2020 11:01 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Looks like someone gave me the wrong classification for the X-Wing **cough**Rookie_One**cough**, Eventually it will be renamed back to T-65B X-Wing instead of T-65C A2 X-Wing in the craft packs
In the Rogue One Visual Guide the X-wing is listed as T-65C A2 space superiority Starfighter.
This would be the Disney universe cannon.
So both options are right and wrong I suppose.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 am

I do not agree with cannon charge bars disappearing when you close s-foils.
If you have traveled with cannon recharge fully redirected to engines while your s-foils were closed, then you open them to discover that... the cannon charge is empty!

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri May 15, 2020 1:28 am

Another question: why have you inverted the target stats positions at the 2 sides?
It seems you did the same thing to Radio Messages and Mission Goals summaries.
Look at the arrows to see what I'm saying.
InkedCannon charge indicators missing_LI.jpg
It seems you did not invert the position of target info here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=11167&start=301
Why did you recently change idea?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri May 15, 2020 6:15 pm

@Phoenix Leader I fully agree with you regarding the sensors and visibility of the laser charge level. In the current version I have introduced changes that should satisfy you too .
The change of screens is due to purely ergonomic reasons, it is easier to read the text when it is a little away from you than when it is too close.
Below is the current version of the cockpit with descriptions and a video from the previous version, but with new planets.
link to the new video - https://youtu.be/rudKjHfCflo
Normal.
Attack.

@Darksaber Changing the pivot causes an interesting transformation of the object, in this case the opening closing (larger / smaller).

Thank you so much for all your comments. As I can see, we are getting closer to the end of this part of the project.

Regards
KW

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 15, 2020 6:26 pm

If this is a X-wing cockpit test video then you need to dump all the text from the screen.
No one wants a history lesson on the Planet covering the cockpit for so long.
Nothing wrong in other videos but pointless to cover the item you are showing off.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:01 pm
Darksaber wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:15 pm
Looks like someone gave me the wrong classification for the X-Wing **cough**Rookie_One**cough**, Eventually it will be renamed back to T-65B X-Wing instead of T-65C A2 X-Wing in the craft packs
In the Rogue One Visual Guide the X-wing is listed as T-65C A2 space superiority Starfighter.
This would be the Disney universe cannon.
So both options are right and wrong I suppose.
We know that Skywalker X-Wing was a T-65B, but according to EU supplementary material (Farlander Papers, XWA itself, etc..) the protaganists x-wing in the x-wing series was probably the T-65C A2
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:13 pm

I hope the problem with the non-visible explosions can be fixed. By the way, I'm currently uploading my LP with the rebel campaign of Balance of Power, I just have to play the final version. But it has something, with the new effects. By the way, I have informed Waylon by email that there has been progress, he wanted to have a look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... KWPpHJLo7H

Next project is X Wing

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:15 pm
@Darksaber Changing the pivot causes an interesting transformation of the object, in this case the opening closing (larger / smaller).
Sorry that's wrong, The pivot is where it rotates from, I assume that X=11.3, Y=-61, Z=31 is the centre of the selected mesh

The selected mesh shrinks because you have all 3, Rotation, Transformation and Scale are set to "0"

They are usually by default set to
Rotation X=0, Y=0, Z=32767
Transformation X=0, Y=32767, Z=0
Scale X=32767, Y=0, Z=0
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Same principle done with the xwing
flightscreen14.jpg
flightscreen15.jpg
- John Lydgate

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 am

Yep, DS is right. Pivot point is important but the settings of all of the transformation fields to zero causes the mesh to implode and expand. It's similar technique that I used to add landing lights to Lambda Shuttle with sphere meshes. This is a point I mentioned before. Instead of shrinking the sensors, we could use the same process to make some lights on the dashboard flicker on and off with illuminated textures and use Blue Max's effects for sure. The "button mesh lights" could perhaps be the shape of small rectangular boxes that oscillate forward and backward through the dashboard to give the illusion they are blinking on and off. I would use the [pilots] hook to reference which meshes (indexes) to oscillate in the Cockpit.opt file. You may also have to add a dummy blank meshes too for the base and exterior models so the referenced indexes doesn't conflict with static non-moving meshes. Add to end of the mesh list. Too much colors and lights can be a bad thing... confusing, distracting, can look like a lit up X-mas tree. Simple and less is a good thing too.
That backdrop of the Kuat yards is great. All of that including the planet and drive yard could theoretically be made into models, with LOD's. Maybe broken up into sections. I don't think the 26km model size limit applies anymore since FOV/screen/resolution settings have been resolved. That's my understanding, but not 100% sure.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sat May 16, 2020 1:29 am

I've taken a look at the new uploaded video (X-Wing Alliance (1999) with mods - v20 - 96 starfighters over Felucia ). Great work with the cockpit and the planets!
I wish to ask a question about the new targeting system: where are the usual yellow brackets around the targeted object? Did they just disappear?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 pm

The question was how I made new sensors, the answer was simple because the effect is to transform a smaller object into a larger one and to zoom in and out of the player. In the first case, you should reset the values in rotation (no, you do not need to modify the other scales and transformations) and the key for zooming in and out is pivot, which is independent of the center. Pivot does not have the same coordinates as the mesh center. I did not invent anything new, just used the available solution that you knew about. Anyway, thank you very much.

I prepared a new background and planet for the first mission. Does that make sense?
Thank you @Mark_Farlander for your help.
New movie with sample graphics - https://youtu.be/yq35ZOzi1UU

Sorry for my English.

Regards
KW