Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 pm

@Sedenion that’s why I tell is bright future in front of us. XWA is still the best SW sim.

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:28 am

They planned the release so I can't even go for a quick flight before work!

Must be a Rebel plot.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:15 am

Well I'm a Rebel Pilot and I don't have any free time until Sunday, so I think it's an Imperial plot.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:23 am

Welp, here goes nothing!
steam.jpg

I'm somewhat impressed it's only just over 26GB. I've got some games with 100+ Gigs....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Press Embargo has been lifted.

Campaign has been said to be around 6 hours on 'normal' difficulty, which I assume is the one after 'easy'.

I imagine your skill and difficulty could make it shorter/longer.
korekwerner wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:59 pm
@Sedenion that’s why I tell is bright future in front of us. XWA is still the best SW sim.
Why does everything need to be a competition?

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD39Wph ... =jackfrags

Keyan Farlander is among the Rebel pilots in the campaign. :D

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:50 pm

sedenion wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:10 pm
And so, here is the "Mission Editor" at 1h47: Seven precomputed maps with no options, choose difficulty from easy to medium and go. Anyway, you can choose the color of your helmet, so cool...
Once you're in the map you can spawn ships and such to practice against.

There's 5 difficulty options, not just Easy and Medium.

And there's 6 maps, the first option on the list is random.
Metathrom wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD39Wph ... =jackfrags

Keyan Farlander is among the Rebel pilots in the campaign. :D
That's just one of the random names your player character can get if you choose to use a random name. The TIE Fighter and Alliance player character names are options as well.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:12 pm

I got my copy. just waiting for the unlock. If this game does well it could be one of the most significant titles of the decade. It could prove people still want the traditional "Space Combat Sim" that's less Arcade-y than Rogue Squadron but less heavy than Star Citizen or Elite. The fact this initial outing is a bit rough around the edges is hardly surprising as the last mainstream title of this type that got any real traction was Freespace 2 in 1999.

So boys, buy it, play it and once we've got the hang of it I think we need to form up and teach these twitch-based teenagers the value of accurate long-range gunnery and formation flying.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:50 pm
Once you're in the map you can spawn ships and such to practice against.
Spawn, while you are in the cockpit or by editing before the mission starts ? Is there a way ton save the "mission" ?

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:49 pm

I’m watching that and, oooh baby, do want.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:52 pm

sedenion wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:53 pm
Is there a way ton save the "mission" ?
No, but that's not what the mode is about, it's just for practicing.

This game isn't going to replace XWA. That's not what it was designed to do, it was never said that's what the game was. It's foremost a MP game with a campaign.

I wish some people would stop acting like it's one or the other, both games can exist together.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:52 pm

This game isn't going to replace XWA. That's not what it was designed to do, it was never said that's what the game was. It's foremost a MP game with a campaign.
This is indeed what I thought... An "Arena shooter" but in space with spaceships. This is the most the industry allow from now.
Tuskin wrote:
I wish some people would stop acting like it's one or the other, both games can exist together.
To me the problem is not this particular game, but what the whole game industry has become. The fact is that games like XWA will never be developed again, editors goal and market has changed. Anyway, thanks for the clarifications.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 pm

Tuskin wrote:
sedenion wrote:

Right, this is basically a remake of XvT, not X-Wing Alliance. To this day XvT is generally considered the better Multiplayer game, Squadrons will probably replace it in that field. If that goes well you can expect a sequel with a deeper single player campaign.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm

BattleDog wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:13 pm
Tuskin wrote:
sedenion wrote:

Right, this is basically a remake of XvT, not X-Wing Alliance. To this day XvT is generally considered the better Multiplayer game, Squadrons will probably replace it in that field. If that goes well you can expect a sequel with a deeper single player campaign.
That seems to be my impression by watching videos. However the amount of cutscenes and dialogues makes the campaign pretty good, if a bit too short compared to TIE Fighter and XWA. An expansion pack could certainly introduce more ships and missions though.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:00 pm

They've said they don't currently plan on releasing any post launch content/DLC, but it sounds like that's something that could change based on how the game is received.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm

With the game out in a very short time can I ask that visitors don't post any spoilers for the campaign please.
It won't be out here until 1am for example and many people have work tomorrow.
Thanks guys :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:28 pm

One thing I hope is that if they decide to add additional ships later, that the first one will be the B-Wing
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 am

I did the tutorial and the first mission, there is apparently an imperial pilot named Mareek Steele and a pilot named Ace Azzameen among the rebels, who knew? ;)
I wish they'd have let me bind the controls before starting the game, fortunately you can do that in the hangar before taking off the first time (as well as you can only activate the Vsync then instead of having the option in the menu you get before starting the game, the initial cutscene was tearing like crazy in points), the approach to the campaign gives a lot of Wing Commander vibes.
I still have to get the hang of the way the game works and might revise my HOTAS bindings accordingly.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:50 am

Det. Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 am
I did the tutorial and the first mission, there is apparently an imperial pilot named Mareek Steele and a pilot named Ace Azzameen among the rebels, who knew? ;)
I wish they'd have let me bind the controls before starting the game, fortunately you can do that in the hangar before taking off the first time (as well as you can only activate the Vsync then instead of having the option in the menu you get before starting the game, the initial cutscene was tearing like crazy in points), the approach to the campaign gives a lot of Wing Commander vibes.
I still have to get the hang of the way the game works and might revise my HOTAS bindings accordingly.
Can you not access the options menu from the in mission pause menu?
Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:14 pm
With the game out in a very short time can I ask that visitors don't post any spoilers for the campaign please.
It won't be out here until 1am for example and many people have work tomorrow.
Thanks guys :)
1AM? Same here, do we live in the same timezone? Heh.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:42 am

Tuskin wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:50 am
Det. Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 am
Can you not access the options menu from the in mission pause menu?
Yes, that's the point, the game throws you directly into the story mode and doesn't allow you to rebind the controls or messing with fundamental graphical options like turning on the Vsync until gameplay starts. I guess it's to avoid the complainers that go directly into the game and get pissed when they don't get the hang of it right away but it's annoying that I couldn't turn on the Vsync until after the intro movies since there was quite a lot of tearing going on. :/

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:31 am

Det. Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:42 am
I guess it's to avoid the complainers that go directly into the game and get pissed when they don't get the hang of it right away but it's annoying that I couldn't turn on the Vsync until after the intro movies since there was quite a lot of tearing going on. :/
Designed for consoles, adapted and targeted for console gamers...

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Also BTW, to make the energy meters behave normally you have to activate an option in the gameplay section otherwise they'll max out no matter what when you press the keys.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 pm

Det. Bullock wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:19 pm
Also BTW, to make the energy meters behave normally you have to activate an option in the gameplay section otherwise they'll max out no matter what when you press the keys.
I saw that but not tried that setting yet.
I had a quick go last night past the prologue. It's one of those games that makes me wish for a manual.

It needs a good amount of customising to your controls. I've got to do some research as it felt easier with a pad than my joystick. Early days though.

I was wishing I could fly in exterior view to see all the ships and details up close but I understand why not. The ships and details in the solo campaign are great so far.

They really should have added more head and hair choices I think. Plus the pre-order colour bonuses weren't spectacular as expected.
Still I'm going to get stuck in and earn some glory points!
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:34 pm

I just want to say what joy it brings me to see default names of Ace Azzameen, Keyan Farlander and Maarek Steel as options
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:11 pm

It got issues with the deadzone, but you can bypass it by using vjoy and gremlin to map it to another "axis" (it's only X and Y that got the issue, so if you use gremlin to pass X as another axis, it works correctly
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death