A shot for older machines

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

A shot for older machines

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Thu May 13, 2021 6:46 pm

I was wondering around some idea. Taking away graphical upgrade, xwa still have significant improvements (the hook systems, the various dll) that make the standard game more alive and do not take lot of cpu power or ram to work. It would be possible to have a mini installation to improve the game on such old machines?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 13, 2021 8:24 pm

If you use Babu Frik's Configurator and "Disable all Blue Max Effects"
That's the best way to support older machines probably.
The XWAU won't be having 2 versions on the go at once and we can never support all forms of PC specs.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri May 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Depends on how old you want to go,
Hooks are not compatible with Win98 for example.

Trev

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun May 16, 2021 8:41 am

I have xwa installed on two machines. The first is the old good desktop with winxp 64bit. It is fine save for the lack of target box on selected enemies. I use this machine when I play original games as they were. Then I have a dual core laptop with windows 7 on which I have several installation of XWAU and DS ones. This one is frankly too old to engage all the graphics the team created, but would be a true shoot may be able to use the full hook system to make the game open to new things. But I understand that this is my own problem. Maybe when my little princess will be a bit older I would be able to save for a new and more powerfull machine

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 am

Well, the hooks are available from Jeremya. You can download his Hook downloader from our download page.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project