XWAU OPT to STL conversion?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWAU OPT to STL conversion?

AesiWraith
Recruit

Post by AesiWraith » Tue May 18, 2021 1:02 am

Hello there! I have been playing X-Wing Alliance since it was released. And beyond that XWAU since it's beginning. I am a huge collector of everything 3.75 scale. I recently got a 3D printer and have thrown myself into printing the 3.75 ships. There are a decent few on Thingiverse ready made, but not nearly enough! So I have taken it upon myself to modify X-Wing miniature scale models that I track down into the bigger action figure scale.
So far, I have printed, assembled and painted the TIE Defender, TIE Phantom, and two different E-Wings. I am currently in the process of upscaling and adding interiors to the TIE Scimitar, TIE Aggressor(Star Wars Galaxies), TIE Avenger, and the bulky version of the TIE Defender.
I realized however, if it were ok with the authors, that being able to use the far superior X-Wing opts would be preferable to low poly, low detail XWing miniatures files. The problem being, OPT files aren't recognized by any software that I know of which can convert them to STL or even to a more common file type which I can then convert to STL to work with a 3d printer. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You can view some of my custom 3.75 Star Wars stuff at https://www.instagram.com/seinarcustomshop/ and even more at https://www.reddit.com/user/Temporary_Ship_7524

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 am

Depending on the model the geometry isn't exactly suitable for detailed 3d printing. Much of the model detail historically speaking is 2d texture based, not necessarily 3d model based. There's a lot of stuff that isn't going to look right and you'll need to do a heavy amount of editing.

As you can see... Not hyper detailed. You would probably have to beef up the laser cannons on most things, and add a substantial amount of greebs
Screenshot 2021-05-17 19.20.42.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 19.19.55.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 19.17.40.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 am

Another example, T85 X-Wing for XWA (image 2) vs T85-Xwing for 3d printing for FFG X-Wing (Image 1).
Screenshot 2021-05-17 19.24.53.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 19.25.23.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am

Driftwood wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:22 am
Depending on the model the geometry isn't exactly suitable for detailed 3d printing. Much of the model detail historically speaking is 2d texture based, not necessarily 3d model based. There's a lot of stuff that isn't going to look right and you'll need to do a heavy amount of editing.

As you can see... Not hyper detailed. You would probably have to beef up the laser cannons on most things, and add a substantial amount of greebs
I wouldn't worry about fine details too much as they are lost in printing (unless you are making a large scale model 1:48th+)
Also prints need painting anyway but you could actually print off the textures and use them on decal sheets to transfer them onto the printed model - an idea I fancied trying before but never got round to.

Trev

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue May 18, 2021 11:14 am

I doubt that there are any OPT to STL converters out there, but there are tools that convert OPTs into OBJ files (Xwa Opt Editor being among them) I am guessing that there are tools that could then convert the OBJ to an STL file. Not sure if those files will be usable at all, but it might be a start.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

JohnMC
Recruit

Post by JohnMC » Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 pm

Greeblies are what I am good at. The paint and weathering will recover a lot of the detail. Plus the sticker idea is spot on also! Hasbro has always done it.
Check out my Instagram and Reddit profile to get an idea what I’ve been working on! I will take a look at converting OPT to OBJ to STL. I am pretty sure that will work!