XvT: how to mod it?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XvT: how to mod it?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:24 am

Xvt share with one edition of xwing and tiefighter the same graphic engine and runs quite well on modern pc. But! It has not some iconic starfighters such us firespray, tie defender, and missile boat (or yt2000). Do any of you know of some ways to mod that game to add them?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:01 pm

XvT was great in that many of the tools we have now started there.
It was also easy to make compatible mods / shipsets with the launchers available.

Honestly I've forgotten how to mod a lot of XvT as it's been so long.
Best thing I recommend checking here for now. http://xvtedicion.es/ingles/index.htm
Eventually I hope I can get around to what still works and is worth keeping and putting it on my site. But that's not going to be soon.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Many thanks Ace, I found there all I needed.

I am now in the try to rebalance a bit for single player all the missions in XvT (mostly the same job I was doing for the Justagai Multiplayer Hook a year ago, and strong of that experience). All in all i do not remember XvT so hard (maybe it's me getting older XD) at least in single play... But many mission are simply impossible imho in single player (50+fighters against one? D:) ... and matter get better and better when the various Players FG are present in game only if a human player are in there (an error I did last summer for Justagai was not re-scale all the mission on this simple rule).

When all the job will be done we will have all the mission of XvT+BoP both for original in single player and for XWA single/multiplayer, in term of balance. This autumn I will get a new pc desktop for gaming, so I should be able to install the latest XWAUP and pass to the community all the resulting job.

personally my dream is to have one day three installation: one full Alliance/New Republic/Galactic Alliance, a second old Republic/Empire/Empire of the Hand, and a third for Scum and Villany and have all the mission ever created on this three tematic teatres at the best graphical result possible.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:30 pm

None of XvT's missions are impossible, but it is the most difficult game in the series. It was designed for people with lots of gameplay experience in the series. Medium difficulty in XvT is often a step up from hard difficulty in TIE Fighter, and hard difficulty in XvT is an entirely new tier of challenge. LucasArts even left a note in their BOP readme that yes, the campaign missions are indeed possible to complete solo. Now I haven't played XWA's later battles on hard to compare, but the BOP campaigns are difficult right from the start. For what it's worth, the campaign difficulty is actually pretty consistent in SP and MP, and holds up well even with more players in MP.

I recently tried installing the "XvT Upgrade" pack and it does still work, with the catch that you have to run the installer from the command line.
http://xvtedicion.es/ingles/descargas/c ... .php?id=14

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:24 am

I think the hardest missions are the BoP campaigns, because they were meant to be played cooperatively. But I beat them on Hard a few years ago, so yeah, I'll back up what Random Starfighter says.

axeil55
Cadet 4th Class

Post by axeil55 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:18 pm

I have been able to beat both the Imperial and Rebel campaigns on Hard recently and I agree it is quite challenging. You need a lot of skill and a bit of luck.

There's no shame in editing the missions to be less punishingly difficult. I remember there was one mission with a bugged flight group that just wouldn't spawn.