New Tie Fighter?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

New Tie Fighter?

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:54 am

It's been ... i don't know ... 15 years since the last time I did an OPT. Just out of curiosity if I can still do it I created this little crochet tie fighter. I started to crochet a year back or so and did this cute little Tie Fighter for my daughter. Then I thought it isn't that hard to model and texture that thing and it would be a good opportunity to try out all those old and new tools for XWA opting. So I fired up Blender did a bit modelling and texturing and was very pleased to see that you can import a complete uv mapped model into XWA Opter and its all in there already. So no texture stitching, like back in the days anyomre :)

So with no further ado, Introducing: The Crochet Fighter.

Still needs some tweaking, a LOD and stuff, but for now I'm proud with myself, that I still can do it ^^

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:52 pm

:lachtot: great work!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Can you use the S-Foils hook to make it all floppy? :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:36 pm

How do i use those hooks? Can i create an animation in blender and then i can play it with the hook? Is it editable with xwa opter?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:01 pm

Gringlas wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:36 pm
How do i use those hooks? Can i create an animation in blender and then i can play it with the hook? Is it editable with xwa opter?
Vince kinda over simplified things for his joke ;) Sfoils are a list in the INI of which meshes to move and how much.

Even for a bit of fun that Tie Fighter looks great. Really captures the look intended.
If you can make this simply then we could use your skills again! :hilfe: :D
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 am

Gringlas wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:36 pm
Sadly not that easy, one thing you need to know that you can only rotate meshes. You need to use the sFoils editor that is included in the tools. There you can set the center and alignment of the axis per mesh and then the angle it rotates and the speed that it does. Be aware that the engine is not aware of other meshes that should.ne attached to the rotating mesh, so you need to do this for each mesh. (e.g. for the X-Wing you need to rotate the wing, the engines and the lasers in the wings)

If you open an existing opt in the sFoils editor it should become a tad more clear. But sFoils are certainly a bit tricky and sadly still very limited in what you can do...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:57 am

Ah ok, so I guess you could only trigger the s-foils by a key, like on x-wing. or would be possible to make a mesh rotate the whole time?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Sure, if you treated it like a pilot head or R2 unit. Could take the X or Y-Wing as reference.

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:28 am

mhh, I made a quick reply yesterday, but somehow the forum seems to have eaten that one ^^

Ok, so rotation only would sadly be no option to make it behave like somehting made of yarn and stuffed with whool. :(
Btw, how would I release a OPT nowadays? Creating a shp file with MxvTed and then zip everything up? Wasn't there some type of ship limit in XWA itself?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 am

SHP + ZIP is still a valid way of doing things. I'm still rolling that way until I learn how to make those installers :)
Unfortunately, the number of usable slots remains limited.

HOWEVER

Thanks to the ingenuity JérémyaFR and DTM there's now a litle tool called Palpatine Total Converter, which comes with the Mega Patch and which lets you setup and swap between two different "instances" of the game without having to make multiple copies of the game folder.