[Solved] Y-Wings and A-Wings have S-Foils

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[Solved] Y-Wings and A-Wings have S-Foils

Steppin_razor
Recruit

Post by Steppin_razor » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:50 am

So, I'm running the GOG version of XWA on Windows 10. I tried a clean install, and everything seemed to work fine with vanilla XWA.

When I installed the XWA Upgrade Craft Pack 1.6, it adds unnecessary S-Foils to both the Y-Wing and the A-Wing. I can open or close the S-Foils just like you can with an X-Wing; only nothing actually changes to the exterior model of the Y-Wing or A-Wing itself. When the S-Foils are closed, I can't fire weapons; just like with an X-Wing.

For the most part, it's really just a minor glitch. However, I think it's affecting the behavior of the AI.

For example, on the third Rebel mission, the one where you pilot an X-Wing against the Imperial convoy, the AI-controlled Y-Wings will barely attack the enemy convoy. They just seem to keep their distance and eventually get destroyed.

A few missions later, when you're attacking the Imperial Dreadnought carrying Rebel POWs, the Y-Wings will attack the Dreadnought until the shields drop. Then they keep their distance and do nothing.

I don't know for sure if the S-Foil bug and the AI behavior are linked, but it seems plausible.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved issue

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:30 pm

The S-foils thing should be easy to fix. Go into the Flightmodels folder and open the AWing.ini and YWing.ini files. Replace

Code: Select all

[SFoils]
with

Code: Select all

[SFoilsLandingGears]
then save the files.

The other issues you mentioned are likely not related to that, though. Check the Mission balancing section of the forum.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Steppin_razor
Recruit

Post by Steppin_razor » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:10 pm

That fixed it for me! Thanks! And I will check out the Mission Balancing section for my mission issues, thanks!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:40 pm

Steppin_razor wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:10 pm
That fixed it for me! Thanks! And I will check out the Mission Balancing section for my mission issues, thanks!
I may get this wrong but the reason for this was a way to simulate landing gear.
If you look at the external view when using YW or AW the landing gear will come down when the s-foil is triggered.
Since the XWAUCP release the hooks have improved so this is no longer needed.
The next updates to the ships or XWAU have this replaced already. It doesn't affect stupid wingmen ;)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost