[BUG] Joystick Causes Rotating

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[BUG] Joystick Causes Rotating

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:00 am

Version: X-Wing Alliance Upgrade 2020
No additional programs or installers in place
I freshly install the entire game and upgrade package.
The game does not crash.

Problem: When loading into the game with a joystick (Logitech 3) the cockpit view continually rotates up and then down again repeatedly in circles. I also cannot disable floating HUD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:05 am

This has just been found to be an issue but it doesn't effect everyone
JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:01 pm
JOYSTICK HOOK ISSUE

For the joytick issue, you can try that:
Try this WIP Hook to see if it fixes it.

Press D to turn the HUD on and off
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:50 pm

Hello,
I've uploaded the fix into the stable version of the joystick hook.

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi, I'm kind of unfamililar of what to do with the hook file. I see that it's a zip fle and I'm not exactly sure what to do next, was wondering if I could have instructions?
Also the Corillian transports. Are they suppose to have interactive huds, or still being worked on? I've seen you tube videos with them working.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:26 pm

kinkj wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:08 pm
Hi, I'm kind of unfamililar of what to do with the hook file. I see that it's a zip fle and I'm not exactly sure what to do next, was wondering if I could have instructions?
Also the Corillian transports. Are they suppose to have interactive huds, or still being worked on? I've seen you tube videos with them working.
Just copy it to the main XWA folder. We will have a self extracting fix out soon though.

Corellian transports cockpits and the Youtube videos are not associated or made by us.
We will have some in due course

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:43 pm

That file worked and did some other tweaking. Thank you very much for help.

rfrank
Recruit

Post by rfrank » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:08 pm

I have a fresh install copy. I also have the constant rotation issue. If I pull the joystick from the USB port the ship rotates on 2 axis instead of just one.

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:59 pm

Oh this may help too.
I go to controller settings in game and for some reason rudders is labeled yes. Switch to no and you will stop spinning left to right. The hook zip file from above does work for spinning up and down.
Hope this helps.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm having this rotating issue as well. Mine seems to always want to rotate to the left. I have a Thrustmaster T16000 stick and didn't have any of these issues with XWAU 1.6. I do have the rudder setting enabled, however, my stick has a twisting capability to rotate the craft left or right. A feature that worked brilliantly in v1.6. I would like to keep this feature but its tough to be accurate when my craft is constantly rotating causing me to compensate continuously. Just checking to see if there are any other fixes out there yet or if there might be some other cause for this.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 pm

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:15 pm

hook_joystick_ff_WIP.zip
(99.89 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
This zip file worked for me.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:19 pm

It's been merged into the main Hooks plus maybe updated further since.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:15 pm

Ok, ran the XWAToolsDownloader and re-downloaded the hook_joystick_ff_WIP.zip file and still had the rotating issue. When I ran the XWAU game and disabled "rudders" via the main menu, it fixed the issue. Which I guess is ok, but I really miss being able to pull a twisting turn at the same time, its much more difficult if I have to hold a button down to roll and turn now. As I mentioned before, it worked perfectly in 1.6 version of XWAU, so something must've changed to suddenly cause it roll in the 2020 version.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Porkins_BB wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:15 pm
Ok, ran the XWAToolsDownloader and re-downloaded the hook_joystick_ff_WIP.zip file and still had the rotating issue. When I ran the XWAU game and disabled "rudders" via the main menu, it fixed the issue. Which I guess is ok, but I really miss being able to pull a twisting turn at the same time, its much more difficult if I have to hold a button down to roll and turn now. As I mentioned before, it worked perfectly in 1.6 version of XWAU, so something must've changed to suddenly cause it roll in the 2020 version.
Ok I messed up and gave you a bad link as I'm an idiot.
XWA Hooks Setup is what you need.
https://raw.github.com/JeremyAnsel/XwaH ... sSetup.zip

I suggest you wait though for our next Update very soon as there seems to be a conflict in one of the hooks.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Lol! No problem, I'll give that one a shot!

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:19 am

Well, still a no go. I tried the XWA Hooks Setup and downloaded the latest 2020 Mega Patch update, still no luck. I guess I'll have to disable the rudder for now.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:25 pm

***UPDATE*** I think this is an issue with the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS joystick. I did some research and apparently it is a known problem. Here is a link on how to fix the rotation issue: https://youtu.be/688J7pfqLVs

If anyone else has this joystick you can try this to solve the rotation issue, just need screw drivers and some WD-40. I'll give it a shot and see if it does the trick. It definitely doesn't look like it is an issue with XWAU.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:08 am

Can confirm now that it was an issue with the T16000M FCS Joystick. I was able to use the Youtube video and fix the issue. I don't recommend using WD-40, I used a graphite lubricate since its better at keeping dust/grime out of there and will last longer than WD-40.

Random Starfighter
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Random Starfighter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:09 am

I'm having a similar problem. I've downloaded and run XwaHooksSetup. All the hooks have been updated, and the problem persists.

The cockpit look is constantly pitching up at an extremely high speed. Craft orientation is fine. Switching to external view, or switching to the no-cockpit view is fine. There's nothing wrong with the joystick itself.

As far as I can tell, it's like the mouse-look is being hijacked by something. If I enable mouse-look, I can fight against the spinning by moving the mouse in the opposite direction, but the spinning persists.

Removing "Hook_Joystick_Ff.dll" fixes the problem.

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:39 am

Hey there. I did all the hooks as well. Try enabling rudders too. I did that just to see if that would work and it did for me. I just wish joystick wouldn't drift off target. I have to hold it to keep it staeady. I have this problem playing Xwing classic and Tie Fighter. I can't afford to get another joystick right now.

kinkj
Cadet 4th Class

Post by kinkj » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:40 am

I notice whenever an update occurs, it will change joystick configurations and resolution changes.

killsinthenight
Recruit

Post by killsinthenight » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:42 am

i had the same issue with my X56: fast, continual rotation around the pitch axis. Oddly, turning on the TrackIR manages to fix the issue. However, I'm still unable to simultaneously remap roll & and throttle to my throttle