Vjoy not working

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Vjoy not working

Xerox
Recruit

Post by Xerox » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Hello,

i just bought XWA as i saw that it is now working with Steam VR and i recently bought a Rift S.

I have a T Flight HOTAS i want to use for the game but i prefer to have my Rudder on my Z Axis which is not possible in the game so i decided to use Vjoy...i setup everything correctly but despite the fact that i changed the input to "vjoy" in the XWA Launcher it always selects my TFlight instead. Is there a way to force the game to use the Vjoy Stick?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best Regards
Xerox

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Sorry if this works differently on your computer, but on Windows 7, you need to go to Windows’s game controller control panel, then click the “Advanced…” button to choose which joystick will be used by old games.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Xerox
Recruit

Post by Xerox » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 pm

Oh, ok this was easy, Problem solved:-) Never used this as i never played that old games :D

Thank you for the quick help!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:50 pm

Xerox wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:07 pm
I have a T Flight HOTAS i want to use for the game but i prefer to have my Rudder on my Z Axis which is not possible in the game so i decided to use Vjoy
Sounds like you're using the X axis to roll and the Z axis for yaw. Would you mind sharing more details about how you did this using vJoy?

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:51 pm

On a separate note I was messing with testing XWA with a xbox style microsoft controller and also ran into axis assignment issues. XWA really needs a more comprehensive axis assignment system without having to use something like VJOY. Removing a layer of conversion between the controller and the actual game engine would be nice, and allow for people to come up with some inventive custom cockpit setups.
Image Image Image Image Image

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 pm

I think I can swap the X-Z axes of the joystick inside ddraw without vJoy. I took a look at Reimar's code and now this seems doable. It might even be possible to use VR controllers instead of a joystick...

EDIT: Yes, the X-Z joystick axes can be swapped inside ddraw without vJoy. I wonder if there's any interest in things like these. Like maybe mapping arbitrary joystick axes to XWA game axes or something like that?

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:14 pm

I made the x-z axis using thrustmaster's joystick mapping progam Target, and it is like learning how to fly all over again. Another thing I didn't think about when I did that was that its the same in the gun turret so before with the Joysitck I could control all directions with one hand and I was a decent shot. Now the joystick only does up and down my rudder controls the left and right, it has been a challenge and I am still not used to it. Nothing more practice can't handle.
May the Force be with you all.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:41 am

Thanks ZanElJOK. I just updated the code so that the X-Z axes are only swapped while in the cockpit, so the gunner turret reverts to its original behavior.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:52 am

Works perfectly!

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Just tried out the adjustments and it works even better than what i had originally. The new x axis is a straight yaw. straight left and right :rollsmilie3:. The original x-axis is more like a video game turn with pitch, roll all in one. The turret not having the change makes it so much easier to just control gun one hand versus relearning how to work the turret with the yaw on a different control mechanism. Thank you so much for figuring this one out blue_max
May the Force be with you all.

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 am

Hey all, I just decided to jump back into this game after having let it sit on my shelf (in my hard drive really) for the past few years and I am having trouble with my new joystick setup. I have a Thrustmaster T16000M and a TWCS Throttle handle (no foot pedals) that each have a separate USB cable, so I need to trick XWA into believing that they are one combined device.

I have been trying to get Target GUI to work properly with this joystick setup, but when I create a profile and run it, XWA only recognizes the inputs on the virtual controller that are transmitted as keyboard inputs (like Alt+2 for fire, W for swap weapon etc). It does not recognize the joystick x, y, or z axes.

When running the profile, the only controller visible in USB Controller Devices in Windows (Windows 10) is the Thrustmaster Virtual Game Controller (root). I did once manage to trick the system into recognizing the T16000 joystick and the Virtual Controller (I think I started the Target GUI after already having both of the usb devices plugged in rather the plugging them in after starting Target). This did allow me to move the joystick as well as give the keyboard inputs that I had programmed through the virtual controller profile in Target, however the throttle handle still did not work for increasing the throttle with the z axis.

Has anyone else had any experience with Target and getting two usb devices it to work properly using this program alone, or does it require another program run alongside it in order for the joystick x,y, and z axes to work correctly? I saw that blue_max said that he was able to swap the x and z axes inside ddraw without vJoy, but I don't understand how to go about doing that...

Any help is appreciated!

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:51 am

Hi,

You need vjoy to create a virtual controller device but apart this you need a feeder to merge all controllers in only one (vjoy).

In shot vjoy is only the virtual controller, the feeder is a tool that receive all inputs from you controllers (joytick , throttle , etc..) and send it to vjoy.

Vjoy built in a feeder but I don't knwon how work. (I use use a feeder build to me that is specified for my system).

EliteBane
Cadet 4th Class

Post by EliteBane » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 pm

Ok, so I have been able to finally get my joystick x,y, and z axes working by using both Target and vJoy (Target handles the button inputs and it combines the two controllers into one, while vJoy seems to override Target and allows me to use the axes so that I can actually steer my ship). Now my issue is getting the trigger to rapid fire while holding in the trigger. If anyone understands how to write scripts in Target, help would be greatly appreciated!
I have gotten the script written so that Target will continually repeat my commands until I let go of the trigger, but I cannot seem to get the function to activate correctly.