XWAU 2020 Issues

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWAU 2020 Issues

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

Marvelous job on the new 2020 Mega Pack - the visuals are such a giant leap forward! I was so impressed how far this project has progress since the 1.6 Upgrade. Outstanding work and kudos to all who are/were involved. But, unfortunately, with the good sometimes comes the not-so good too. At least for me none of the issues I am reporting are game-breakers, but I feel they should be reported nonetheless. So here goes:

1) Crash at game exit: Windows dialog crash report appears with the following info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Fault Module Name: Hook_Normals.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 5f1830a1
Exception Offset: 0000dd86
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2c3c
Additional Information 2: 2c3c7ae5e850e8b40eb11ff7872006cc
Additional Information 3: ef67
Additional Information 4: ef672e34e258492895cec6c8b4e0f693

2) In-game music consistently locks up 10-15 minutes into play: Orchestral music will freeze at a random point during the game. No amount of moving about in game (exiting missions, going to another area of the game, bringing up the game menu, etc) will reset the music. Only completely exiting the program and restarting XWAU will bring the music back to a working state.

3) Animation Performance Degredation: This one is more complex. Ever since XWAU 1.6 (this phenomenon did NOT occur in 1.5), any animations played in-game are painfully slow with frequent audio drop-outs (very poor frame rate). This is most pronounced when the video card is generally set to a 60hz refresh rate but is lessened (but not eliminated) if set to 144hz.
Examples of animations that are affected are:
  • Game start animations - from the X-Wing chasing the TIE Fighter all the way through to the entire opening cinematic sequence.
    All door animations in the Main Hall as well as Emkay's "Nothing new, all quiet down here" dialog.
    Entering a simulator - especially when the simulator is closing and bringing up it's view screen.
    The entire Ship Library.
    While in mission - All of the "getting seated" sequences just before the mission briefing starts (although the mission briefings themselves are not affected).
    Also while in mission - any cutscenes before or after a mission.
    The Settings Screen - When opening, the silver panels open very slowly. Moving around in the menus is not affected but closing the settings menu also closes the silver panels very slowly.
Again, as the animations/cutscenes play at what looks to be single-digit frame rates, the audio will drop out frequently for a couple of seconds every few of seconds (the audio and video can't sync properly during playback). As was mentioned before, this became a problem (at least on my system) when XWAU 1.6 was released - version 1.5 played animations flawlessly (as does vanilla/unaltered X-Wing Alliance from GOG).

Just for sake of information here are my system stats:
Intel i7 3770K @ 3.5-3.9Ghz
8GB of DDR3 DRAM
nVidia 1050 Ti with 4GB VRAM (latest drivers)
Windows 7 x64 SP1 w/ .Net 4.8

Anything you can recommend that I can try/adjust/alter to try to alleviate any of these issue would be welcome. I am quite comfortable making adjustments to any file(s) necessary so just say the word and I'll see if the suggestions make any difference.

Thank you in advance for your help and also for your continued efforts in keeping this classic game alive and kicking!
Last edited by AV8R on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:05 pm

I don't have any of the other issues that you describe, other than the animation/cutscene issues. I've had that problem since 1.6 as well. There were some older posts that said it was due to multi-thread processor issues. You had to put a line in the .exe to force the game to only use 1 CPU processor, but I could never figure out how to make this work. There was also an ATI app that you could use for ATI cards where you could force the game to use only 1 core processor, but I tried this, it would not launch the game.

I too would like to know a fix for this problem. Everything else is running fine, but the cutscenes are always lagging. It seems like the cutscene ends there is about 3-5 seconds of dialog still left to play. Same problems for concourse animations, family missions, rebel missions, and simulators, all have choppy or delays when playing their animations. Briefings, as you say, are usually not an issue. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:00 pm

None of the animations have been touched by us to my knowledge.
The only change has been recently where you can now use other video formats if needed.
Do these issues appear on a basic standard install of XWA without the XWAU? It sounds almost a video issue.

For Windows 7 machines make sure all your updates and Net Framework are up to date.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:56 pm

Ace, I've had the cutscene issue ever since I started playing XWA on a multi-core machine. There was an older thread on these boards that provided a guide to update the .exe and insert a command to use only a single core. But, I was never able to figure it out since the example wasn't quite like my set up. I think that is what causes the lag issue. The game was never designed to work with multi-core processors and that causes it to act up in the cutscenes and animations.

Here is the older threat that I'm referencing. Something about setting afinity levels.

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10594

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:09 pm

You can check if vsync is enabled in ddraw.cfg

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Things I've tried so far:

1) I have forced XWAU to run on a single CPU processor core on my system by using a Windows affinity command line line in the X-Wing Alliance shortcut:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 Z:\GAMES\ALLIANCE\XwingAlliance.exe

Based on my 4-core processor, this command will force XwingAlliance.exe to run on one specific core of my processor (the one that coincidently runs coolest of the 4). This, however, does not solve any of the 3 issues I listed above (I also found a setting having to do with Affinity in the DDRAW.CFG file but it seems to have no effect on selecting a specific core on my CPU).

2) V-Sync - I have turned v-sync both completely off and completely on by adjusting the v-sync settings on both the video card and DDRAW.CFG file. Again, this does not solve any of the issues listed above.

Ace Antilles: The issues I posted do not happen when X-Wing Alliance (GOG version) is run by itself nor when XWAU 1.5 is applied over it. Only when 1.6 or 2020 is installed do the issues occur (especially the slow animation issue). My Windows 7 is as up to date as a non-supported OS can get - every update Microsoft has ever put out through Windows Update (including SP1) has been installed on my Windows 7 x64-based system (as well as having .Net 4.8 installed which was not typically released with Windows 7 - but is still nonetheless a supported configuration).

Someone with some coding experience should be able to track down the cause of the crash-at-close error I'm getting (the crash is being caused by a code error between XWingAlliance.exe and Hook_Normals.dll). The above error should lead to something specific in the code unless you still need more information from me to help nail down the specific cause.
Last edited by AV8R on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Porkins_BB
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Porkins_BB » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:06 pm

AV8R,

I finally got my cutscenes to run smoothly and in sync. I have a different card than you, its an ATI card, and it comes with an "AMD Radeon Settings" program. This program allows me to create specific profiles for each game I have installed. These profiles have unique settings for each game. I noticed my XWA profile was disabled and I think it was overriding the ddraw.cfg file that was set to V-Sync=0 (or off). Once I enabled this profile and set V-Sync for Always off, it fixed the issue. For your NVidia card, I'm not sure if there is a similar program that manages each games video settings, but it might be worth looking into.

Good luck!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:11 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:07 pm
On Windows 7, you need the SP1 and the Platform Update to get the latest version of Direct3D 11 and Direct2D.
Get that and the .NET framework 4.5.2 for Windows 7

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Porkins_BB, your suggestion seemed promising, so I did the same in my nVidia Program Settings where you can create custom settings for any executable. So I created default nVidia profiles for both Alliance.exe and XWingAlliance.exe, being sure all settings for each were set to nVidia defaults and was sure to disable any settings having to do with V-Sync for each profile (as well as being sure the settings for both profiles matched perfectly). After that, I made sure both V-Sync settings in DDRAW.CFG were set to 0 and tried again at 60hz. No luck, the startup video crawled with lots of audio drop-outs (very low frame rate). At 144hz, it's better, but still not as smooth as vanilla Alliance. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Perhaps if someone else with an nVidia card could also play with their video card settings to see what the possible culprit setting is (what causes the video/animations to play at ultra-slow frame rates at 60hz). My hope is someone who ISN'T having this issue will stumble upon the setting in the nVidia Control Panel that, when tripped, will cause their video/animation frame rates to suddenly plummet. Fingers crossed (I've played with them all to no avail).

Ace Antilles - having .Net 4.8 already means it is compatible with programs built on earlier versions of .Net (such as 4.5.2). Do you think removing 4.8 and instead installing the older 4.5.2 could make a difference? And yes, I already have Windows 7 SP1 (it was implied by saying I have every update from Microsoft already installed on my system). Also, I believe I have the latest DirectX version on my computer but I will download the latest DirectX 11 version from Microsoft and install it again (that being said, isn't DirectX 12 now available for Windows 7?)

EDIT: Unable to install .NET 4.5.2 since 4.8 is already installed (4.8 covers everything written in .NET prior to its release, including 4.5.2). Same with DirectX 11 - I downloaded the latest DirectX update for Windows 7 x64 SP1 and the installer informed me that it was already installed. I can get by for now with the animation frame-rate issue by keeping my refresh rate at 144hz, but the other issues are still outstanding:

1) Crash at program exit (started happening with the 1.6 Patch 1.0 update and continues into 2020)
2) Orchestral music lockup (just started with 2020).

Nymbus
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Nymbus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

I can also confirm I experience issue 2 with the music lock up. If somebody knows a workaround, any welcome !

Other than that, absolutely awesome upgrade ! A lot of talented people invested a lot of time for this upgrade ! Impressive... very impressive :-)

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 am

*Bump*

Any word on a possible fix for the game exit crash above? I see others have also posted about the in-game music locking up on them too.
Also, is anyone else getting low frame rate issues with the in-game animations/cutscenes too, and if so, what did you do to resolve the issue or what things have you tried to improve the animations/cutscenes frame rates? Things I've tried so far:

1) Disabling V-Sync (in both vid card settings and in the DDRAW.CFG file). I even created custom nVidia profiles for both Alliance.exe and XWingAlliance.exe (with all default settings and V-sync disabled in both profiles).
2) Forcing XWAU (XWingAlliance.exe) to run on a single CPU (thru a command line tweak and thru DDRAW.CFG).
3) Trying various refresh rates (the higher the refresh rates the better the animation frame rates - but even at 144hz, it's still not as smooth as vanilla XWA which plays at its standard 30FPS).

I'm hoping I can find some commonality with these issues with others out there - the more people we can find who are also experiencing these issues, the more we may be able to find common threads in either hardware/software types/settings that could either cause or fix these issues. Let's see if we can all put our collective heads together to solve some of these more common issues.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 pm

Re crash issue only:
Please confirm you have done a fresh install of XWA and removed XWAU 1.6 from the program listings too.
Then install 2020 and Update 1. If still exists update all your hooks.
If it's been happening since v1.6 then it's very random or we would have had more reports.

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:02 pm

That's exactly what I did when 2020 was released - I did a complete from scratch install of GOG X-Wing Alliance and the 2020 Upgrade immediately afterwards. When I started experiencing the issues right away (slow animation frame rates), so I blew away the install and started over a 2nd time (in case something didn't install/copy/overwrite properly). But the same 3 issues keep occurring.

Yeah, I don't know where to go with this - vanilla GOG version of Alliance runs flawlessly - as does Alliance with 1.5 Upgrade. I guess we'll wait and see what the next update/upgrade produces.

Great job with the visuals, though. Love seeing how this project has grown/evolved over time.

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm

AV8R wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:32 pm
Things I've tried so far:

1) I have forced XWAU to run on a single CPU processor core on my system by using a Windows affinity command line line in the X-Wing Alliance shortcut:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 2 Z:\GAMES\ALLIANCE\XwingAlliance.exe

Based on my 4-core processor, this command will force XwingAlliance.exe to run on one specific core of my processor (the one that coincidently runs coolest of the 4). This, however, does not solve any of the 3 issues I listed above (I also found a setting having to do with Affinity in the DDRAW.CFG file but it seems to have no effect on selecting a specific core on my CPU).

2) V-Sync - I have turned v-sync both completely off and completely on by adjusting the v-sync settings on both the video card and DDRAW.CFG file. Again, this does not solve any of the issues listed above.

Ace Antilles: The issues I posted do not happen when X-Wing Alliance (GOG version) is run by itself nor when XWAU 1.5 is applied over it. Only when 1.6 or 2020 is installed do the issues occur (especially the slow animation issue). My Windows 7 is as up to date as a non-supported OS can get - every update Microsoft has ever put out through Windows Update (including SP1) has been installed on my Windows 7 x64-based system (as well as having .Net 4.8 installed which was not typically released with Windows 7 - but is still nonetheless a supported configuration).

Someone with some coding experience should be able to track down the cause of the crash-at-close error I'm getting (the crash is being caused by a code error between XWingAlliance.exe and Hook_Normals.dll). The above error should lead to something specific in the code unless you still need more information from me to help nail down the specific cause.
I can confirm the crash at exit as well.
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:19 pm

Haakan wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm
What's frustrating about this is the crash is being caused by the X-Wing files themselves - an issue between XWingAlliance.exe and Hook_Normals.dll. It is not being caused by an external file such as an nVidia, DirectX or Windows DLL. So this issue should be able to be fleshed out by the programmers here (both files are readily available to the team to debug as well as the crash info to help narrow down the possible causes in the code). If unsure, release various versions of the Hook_Normals.dll with possible code fixes for testing. I'd be willing to test modified DLLs to see if the various code tweaks worked.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:20 pm

AV8R wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:19 pm
Haakan wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:01 pm
What's frustrating about this is the crash is being caused by the X-Wing files themselves - an issue between XWingAlliance.exe and Hook_Normals.dll. It is not being caused by an external file such as an nVidia, DirectX or Windows DLL. So this issue should be able to be fleshed out by the programmers here (both files are readily available to the team to debug as well as the crash info to help narrow down the possible causes in the code). If unsure, release various versions of the Hook_Normals.dll with possible code fixes for testing. I'd be willing to test modified DLLs to see if the various code tweaks worked.
@JeremyaFr just updated the Ddraw which may fix this crash? You will have to give it a try.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=300

It won't work with Blue Max's effects though. That update will be coming sometime later
JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 pm
UPDATE
Hello,
I've uploaded DDraw v1.3.12.
I've fixed a crash when the game ends.

AV8R
Cadet 4th Class

Post by AV8R » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:13 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:20 pm

@JeremyaFr just updated the Ddraw which may fix this crash? You will have to give it a try.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=300

It won't work with Blue Max's effects though. That update will be coming sometime later
JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:46 pm
UPDATE
Hello,
I've uploaded DDraw v1.3.12.
I've fixed a crash when the game ends.
Nope. Tried this new DDraw version by itself and also downloaded and installed the latest Hooks too. Still crashes at exit:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: XWingAlliance.exe
Application Version: 2.0.0.2
Application Timestamp: 3765a9b7
Fault Module Name: Hook_Normals.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 6019a256
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00013be5
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3ac7
Additional Information 2: 3ac7b95e5273afc4a91adb0208cac5b3
Additional Information 3: 2681
Additional Information 4: 2681ab590962a9a1529662a5149ac0f2

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello,
Can you confirm that if you disable the normals hook then the game doesn't crash?
You can also try to re-install the hooks with XwaHooksSetup.

Geoffman72
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Geoffman72 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:52 pm

Just played the 2.0 2020 update and it's great work as usual! There is one minor yet large bug I've found though. The forward radar display on the X-Wing seems mirrored. Rear is fine, and the only other ship I played (A-Wing) is fine. I doubt it's mission specific but, it was B3M6.

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:45 pm

@Geoffman72 I noticed this too. I tested it out in skirmish with all the Alliance fighters. Near as I can tell, only the X-Wing slipped through INCOM's QA. All other Alliance fighters appear to not have radar dome issues. Realizing this while in the midst of a furball was a confusing way to die.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 pm

Seems like the forward sensor is flipped on the x-axis, the targeting scope is flipped on the y-axis.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:56 pm

OK - find this in "xwingcockpit.dc" and "xwingacockpit.dic:

Code: Select all

; Left radar
[XwingCockpit.opt,TEX00044]
cover_texture = Effects\XWingCockpit.dat-5-2
cover_texture_size = 256,256
uv_coords    = LEFT_SENSOR_SRC, 256,256, 0,0; 0x0
erase_region = LEFT_SENSOR_REGION
And replace with this:

; Left radar
[XwingCockpit.opt,TEX00044]
cover_texture = Effects\XWingCockpit.dat-5-2
cover_texture_size = 256,256
uv_coords    = LEFT_SENSOR_SRC, 0,256, 256,0; 0x0
erase_region = LEFT_SENSOR_REGION
That will fix the sensor.

I am unclear on how to fix the targeting scope, not quite understanding how the cords for that work.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:31 pm

OK - find this:

; SecondaryTargetDisplay
[XwingCockpit.opt,TEX00028]
cover_texture = Effects\XWingCockpit.dat-8-0
cover_texture_size = 128,64
uv_coords    = LEFT_SENSOR_SRC, -128,-64, 256,128; 0x0; 1; 1; 1; 0x002000; 0x200000
Replace with this:

; SecondaryTargetDisplay
[XwingACockpit.opt,TEX00028]
cover_texture = Effects\XWingCockpit.dat-8-0
cover_texture_size = 128,64
uv_coords    = LEFT_SENSOR_SRC, -128,128, 256,-64; 0x0; 1; 1; 1; 0x002000; 0x200000
That should fix all your instruments.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

aceazzameen87
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by aceazzameen87 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 pm

I've also noticed something that is affecting all craft--text chatter does not appear across the top of the screen, nor does it appear in the MFD display showing mission update messages "X jumped to hyperspace. Y was disabled. Z was destroyed, etc." This includes radio messages.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:26 pm

BattleDog wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:56 pm
OK - find this in "xwingcockpit.dc" and "xwingacockpit.dic:
That will fix the sensor.
I am unclear on how to fix the targeting scope, not quite understanding how the cords for that work.
Thanks for your help on this, it was under investigation too. I should have an official fix up asap

aceazzameen87 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:46 pm
I've also noticed something that is affecting all craft--text chatter does not appear across the top of the screen, nor does it appear in the MFD display showing mission update messages "X jumped to hyperspace. Y was disabled. Z was destroyed, etc." This includes radio messages.
I've just played a test sim campaign and can't recreate this and no one else has reported it.
Can you give more details please