2020 upgrade to 2021 update

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

2020 upgrade to 2021 update

bren
Recruit

Post by bren » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:18 pm

hi ace

got to mission 30 on 2020 upgrade on my old pc, bought a new gaming pc reinstalled everthing via steam saw you had the new 2021 mega patch and upgraded to that, now i am back to mission one have to start all over again, is there a way to bring over my profile from steam or copying old files from my old pc.

cheers keep up the awesome work and thanks to the team.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi @bren, I moved the topic into the help requests since this appears to be connected to the XWAU in general and not one of Ace's own projects.

As for your progress, there should be a pilot file inside your old XWA installation folder. In Steam it should be somewhere here:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\
(of course depending on where you installed Steam)
Inside there look for a file with the file extension .plt
It should be <YOURPILOTNAME>0.plt
Copy that to your new XWA game directory, start the game via the launcher (not the Steam icon, but the one that launches the new XWAU launcher) There go to Pilot Options... select your pilot and click on Load Player. There should be a confirmation that it was successful. Click Ok click Done start the game.
Hopefully you should be back at your original progress.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Always a good idea to back up the Pilot file to another folder.
I don't trust cloud saving of progress as there's many times for me that it has gone wrong.

Still I think the fun is starting from scratch to see all the XWAU improvements. We've fixed or improved a number of missions.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm
I don't trust cloud saving of progress as there's many times for me that it has gone wrong.

Still I think the fun is starting from scratch to see all the XWAU improvements. We've fixed or improved a number of missions.
Does Steam actually do a cloud save of your pilot though? I don't have the Steam version so I am not sure, but I would highly doubt it uses that feature. So with XWA I would highly recommend to save your pilot-file...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:08 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:01 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:58 pm

Does Steam actually do a cloud save of your pilot though? I don't have the Steam version so I am not sure, but I would highly doubt it uses that feature. So with XWA I would highly recommend to save your pilot-file...
I think it's supposed to but not totally sure it sometimes depends on settings. I know if you replace opts with XWAU it will try and upload new changes to the cloud.
As the pilot is added later I don't know if it looks for it.
If you uninstall XWA from Steam I "believe" it would leave the folder behind with the Pilot file in but I've used an install without Steam for a while so can't remember.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost