XWAU Launch Issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

XWAU Launch Issue

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:31 pm

Greetings, everyone. Let me begin by thanking you all for your many years of hard work and dedication on this project.

I have encountered a persistent issue when attempting to launch X-Wing Alliance. I purchased the game through Steam and installed it. I then dl'd and installed the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch, then the 2020 Update 4.0. I later tried to add on the TIE Fighter Total Conversion, but at the moment, I have given up on getting this to work and am focused on just the XWAU alone for now.

My computer is a brand new Dell XPS 8940 Special Edition running Windows 10. There is plenty of space on the hard drive, and the graphics card is an AMD Radeon RX 5600. I do not currently own a joystick and am attempting to enable joystick emulation through the Babu Frik options menu.

Please note: I have already read through many different threads on these forums and elsewhere regarding similar issues with Steam. I have viewed YouTube videos, uninstalled and re-installed the patches and the game itself multiple times, and followed step-by-step instructions from long time posters such as Ace Antilles and others. I understand that the game should not be launched through Steam, and that Steam itself needed to be completely shut down prior to installation of the Mega Patch and Update. I have done this, but unfortunately, while the launcher will open, the game itself will not launch. Whenever I click 'Play' or 'Play and skip intro,' the computer makes a fly-by sound effect, the mouse changes briefly to the Win10 loading symbol, and then nothing happens.

After consulting the XwaErr.txt file, I see the following error codes:

!XWAERR_0000!ERROR: Failed to detect CD!\n\nYou must insert the Xwing Alliance CD\ninto your CD-ROM drive before running the program.\n\nPress ENTER to exit.
!XWAERR_0001!WARNING: Low Memory!\n\nXwing Alliance may exhibit abnormal behavior.\nExit other programs and/or free some disk space\nto make more memory available.\n\nPress ENTER to continue.
!XWAERR_0002!ERROR: Joystick not detected!\n\nThe game will not work properly\nwithout a joystick attached.\n\nPress ENTER to exit.
!XWAERR_0003!ERROR: Not Host CD!\n\nYou cannot host an internet game with the Client CD.\nYou must insert the Host CD into your CD-ROM drive\nto host an internet game.\n\nPress ENTER to exit.
!XWAERR_0004!WARNING: Low Memory!\n\nXwing Alliance does not have enough memory to run.\nExit other programs and/or free some disk space\nto make more memory available.\n\nPress ENTER to exit.
!XWAERR_0005!ERROR: X-Wing Alliance already running!\n\nThe program is already running and may\nbe minimized. Check your Windows task bar\nfor X-Wing Alliance.\n\nPress ENTER to exit.
!XWAERR_0006!WARNING: Connection failure!\n\nMake sure your Windows 95/98 network\nsettings are properly configured\nfor this type of network game.\n\nPress Enter to continue.

I am not certain why I would be getting a "low memory" error, as this computer should have more than enough memory to handle a 20+ year old game (even when fully upgraded with the XWAU). Any help on this and the other errors above would be immensely appreciated!

-Wildcat

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:05 am

That error file is not an actual error file I think but just stores the possible error messages. Can you check if there are any errors in the windows event viewer? It might also help to know what the issues are with your TFTC install, that might give some more clues as to what's going on.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:02 pm

Ahh. Well, now I feel dumb (re: the error file).

Okay, the error in the Windows Event Viewer reads as follows:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0019cd60
Faulting process id: 0x3358

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)

In regards to the TFTC, I originally thought I might have screwed something up with the Palpatine Total Converter, but after a few uninstalls/re-installs, I stopped trying to run TFTC and am still encountering the launch issue. So I doubt it has anything to do with TFTC.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:40 am

This sounds more like an XWA default loading issue and not a XWAU one. Something maybe Steam caused.
Something may have corrupted the install.

I know you have done it but maybe you need to do it once more.
Uninstall XWA.
Install via Steam. Verify files.
Launch game and test.
Set Steam to NOT update the game. Turn off Steam.
Recommend making a copy of the folder as a Clean install.
Redownload XWAU patches to be sure they worked.
Install XWAU 2020 as Admin. Test game via Alliance launcher NOT steam.
Install XWAU 2020 Update 4 as Admin. Test game via Alliance launcher NOT steam.
If all that works then install TFTC.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:09 pm

Okay, I uninstalled again, then re-installed.
Verified files (no issues detected).

However, when I tried to launch it, I received an error which reads, "xwa_hook_main (DInput.dll) To setup the dinput hook" is not correctly initialized.

I then received a warning that the game would not function without a joystick plugged in. I was then returned to Steam.

I know this issue is supposed to be circumvented by the mouse-based joystick emulation built into the XWAU mod. Is there a different file or fix I need to install first before proceeding to re-install the XWAU and patch?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:19 am

WildcatPhoenix wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:09 pm
I was then returned to Steam.
This can't happen unless you are still running Steam which is why it messes up.
Once Steam installs the game then you don't use it anymore.
You run the game via the Alliance.exe launcher NOT steam.
It should create a desktop shortcut, so use that one not the Steam one. If not make one

Also Steam demands you have a joystick plugged in. I think XWA does by default too. Do you have a joystick?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:24 am

WildcatPhoenix wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:09 pm
However, when I tried to launch it, I received an error which reads, "xwa_hook_main (DInput.dll) To setup the dinput hook" is not correctly initialized.
This means that your installation is corrupted, most likely by the reason pointed out by Ace: if you try to run the game from Steam, that will mess up XWAU.

You need to make a backup copy of whatever files you need (existing pilots maybe?) and then do a clean install again. Ace already posted the proper steps above.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:21 am

I should clarify:

Ace instructed me to
-Install via Steam. Verify files. (I did this).
-Launch game and test. (this is where I received the "joystick not connected" error-- I have not yet re-installed XWAU).

I will make sure Steam is completely shut down before I re-install the patch and try to run it from the Alliance.exe. I know the joystick error *should* be circumvented by the Babu Frik Configurator emulator option. I just wanted to make sure this error is normal before I re-install XWAU (which, it sounds like it is).

I will report back once the Upgrade and patches are installed, with Steam shut down, and launching through the Alliance.exe file. Please keep in mind-- I have followed all of these steps before and it was not successful.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:30 am

When I begin to install the XWAU, should I perhaps install it under a different folder than under the Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance folder?

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:25 am

Alright, we're making progress here.

I took the following steps:
1. I uninstalled XWA in Steam.
2. I went ahead and deleted everything in the X-Wing Alliance folder, including the previously downloaded mods.
3. I re-installed XWA in Steam and verified the files. No errors were detected.
4. I set Steam not to automatically update XWA.
5. I shut down Steam (using the 'Exit Steam' option in the tray, not just the 'x' in the app itself).
6. I re-downloaded the XWAU and ran the installation.
7. Without adjusting any settings in Babu Frik, I launched the game via the Alliance.exe file. This time, it did successfully launch! Hooray!
8. I re-downloaded the Update 4.0 patch and installed it.
9. This time, again without making any changes in the BF Configurator, I tried to launch the game from the Alliance.exe file. I got to the XWAU menu, clicked 'Play X-Wing Alliance,' heard the fly-by sound, the Windows 10 loading symbol started, and then nothing else happened (like before).

So the issue appears to be something to do with the patch.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:37 am

I suspect it is a DEP (Data Execution Prevention) issue. The exception code (0xc0000005) is a memory access violation.

But the only solution I've found online is to turn DEP on for *all* programs (rather than critical ones, which is the current setting), then add an exception for the XWA Alliance.exe file. I'd really prefer not to do this, however, as I suspect this will end up causing more headaches for other programs, games, etc. down the line.

Any other thoughts?

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:00 am

Alright, it is most certainly an issue with the XWAU 2020 Update 4 patch.

I once again uninstalled/re-installed, verified, closed Steam, and installed the Mega Patch. I then launched via Alliance.exe, and the game started. I ran a quick flight simulator mission and it launched successfully (complete with shiny new graphics and models, hooray!). However, I could not steer my craft, as I had not configured it for mouse emulation and, again, I do not own a joystick.

However, after I installed the Update 4 patch, the game once again refuses to launch from the XWAU menu.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:00 pm

I am afraid the only option you have is the DEP configuration. This seams to solve the issue for everyone who had that type of error so far. As we cannot reproduce the error on our end there's no way to debug and fix it further.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm

(sigh)

I tried adding a DEP exception to both the alliance.exe and the desktop shortcut. I was given the following error message, "Data Execution Prevention: This program must be run with data execution protection (DEP) enabled. You cannot turn off DEP for this program."

This is so discouraging. :(

--EDIT--

I also tried adding the XwingAlliance.exe to the exception list, which it allowed me to do, but I still got the same launch error.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 am

Man sorry to hear that, everything I found points towards this being a DEP issue, adding XWingAlliance.exe it to your DEP list should've solved the problem. No idea what else it could be. @blue_max any ideas you have left?

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm

@WildcatPhoenix can you tell us what are your specs? Operating system, RAM, Video card, that sort of thing.

There are a few things you can try. Check the last post in this thread, it contains more information regarding the DEP:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11902&p=182276&hil ... on#p182276

Have you tried running xwingalliance.exe directly?

Have you tried running the GoG version of this game? (I know, that implies buying the game again, but it's not so expensive these days).

The other thing you can try is to disable the Effects using Babu Frik. You mentioned that you were able to see the shiny new effects, but let's try with the standard graphics as well to see if there's any difference.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:07 am

blue_max wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:34 pm
@WildcatPhoenix can you tell us what are your specs? Operating system, RAM, Video card, that sort of thing.
Sure thing.
RAM: 8 GB
Video card: AMD Radeon RX 5300
blue_max wrote:
There are a few things you can try. Check the last post in this thread, it contains more information regarding the DEP:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11902&p=182276&hil ... on#p182276
Yes, I came across the thread above in my earlier searches. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure what darkwinx meant when he said he renamed the Dinput.dll file. I also did try turning on DEP for all programs and then adding XWingAlliance.exe to the exclusions list (see above), but it did not solve the problem.
blue_max wrote:
Have you tried running xwingalliance.exe directly?
Yes. No luck there.
blue_max wrote:
Have you tried running the GoG version of this game? (I know, that implies buying the game again, but it's not so expensive these days).
Going to try this next. I've already refunded the game with Steam (say what you want about them, they do at least have a pretty reasonable refund policy). I will purchase through GOG tonight and give it a try. I managed to snag XWA on sale through Steam, so it was only about $4 USD (while selling for about $10 right now on GOG). I was going to wait for it to be discounted again, but... I'm impatient to try the XWA Upgrade and TIE Fighter TC, so I guess GOG will get an extra $6 of my money lol.

I'll report back with my findings either way.

--EDIT--

(sigh)
No luck with GOG version, either. Game launched with vanilla. Did not launch after XWAU and 4.0 patch were installed.

Same exception code (0xc0000005) and Fault offset (0x0019cd60). Faulting application is still XwingAlliance.exe.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:34 am

Let me take a look at that fault offset to see if there are any additional hints we can try.

EDIT: Sorry, but this still looks like a memory issue. The offset above (0x0019cd60) seems to correspond to a memory copy operation that is used in a number of places in the game. This makes no sense, since you've got plenty of memory and you even reported that you were able to run the game with the new effects once (your problems only begin with the latest update).

Right now, what I'm thinking is that the Update 4 is somehow corrupting the installation, or maybe the Update 4 gets corrupted on your machine. Our hooks use code that, to an antivirus, may look like a virus trying to inject malicious code into a binary. Some antivirus (including Windows Defender) do flag our installers as malicious code (they aren't). So, I'm thinking maybe you need to disconnect from the web, temporarily disable your antivirus, retry the install steps above, and then try again.

Please, be careful when doing this. If you connect to the web without an antivirus you risk getting infected!

Some antivirus software also log when they automatically disinfect binaries. So you can try and see if yours is modifying our installers.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:18 pm

The anti-virus suite being overprotective would make perfect sense. However, I tried disconnecting from the internet, turning off the firewall (we have McAfee installed, and from everything I can tell, Windows Defender is turned off), then re-installing the XWAU and 4.0 patch. Same error, same codes, etc. Tried running XWingAlliance.exe as an admin just to be sure, and got the same problem.

I've checked every log in McAfee that I can find, but I don't see Alliance.exe or XWingAlliance.exe in the list of quarantined programs (just an old Doom .WAD that the anti-virus is freaking out about lol).

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to try to help. I know you aren't 24/7 tech support and are just doing this out of your spare time, and I really do appreciate it!

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:48 pm

And judging by the info on this page, McAfee does appear to be having an issue with the presence of third party .dll files (this is for the corporate/business level McAfee suite, but I'm sure a lot of it applies to the consumer version as well):

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB88085

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:37 pm

The most puzzling thing is that this error is occurring at the launch stage. Nothing unusual (that I can tell) is happening during the download or installation processes. Installation of both the XWAU and patch proceed as normal, and the menu comes up as normal.

You would think if an anti-virus package or Windows Defender were taking issue with custom .dll files or hook-injected code, they would block the installation altogether, no? Or am I completely off-base here?

--EDIT--

Under the Hooks_Readme.txt file, under "Setup," it says: "Place dinput.dll and dinput.cfg next to xwingalliance.exe." After installing the Upgrade and Patch, I do not currently see a file named dinput.cfg anywhere in my X-Wing Alliance subfolder.

Is this an issue, by any chance?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:55 pm

Shouldn't be, that is most likely a leftover info in the readme, that file is not needed.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:47 pm

Drat.

As you can tell, I'm really fishing for anything here. The problem is most definitely related to the patch. I did yet another uninstall/re-install via GOG. Launched it as vanilla-- the menu came up, but game gave me an error message due to no joystick detected (as is normal). Installed XWAU, new menu came up, launched successfully. I jumped into a Flight Simulator mission and flew headlong (again, no joystick) into a wing of six TIE Fighters just to enjoy the shiny new cockpit. Died in a wave of gorgeous new green lasers.

But once I install the patch, the game won't launch beyond the menu. I've tried fiddling with the Babu Frik Configurator, I've tried leaving it completely alone-- nothing seems to work.

Can anyone think of something in the 4.0 patch that would be triggering a memory access violation error?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm

WildcatPhoenix wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:47 pm
Drat.

As you can tell, I'm really fishing for anything here. The problem is most definitely related to the patch. I did yet another uninstall/re-install via GOG. Launched it as vanilla-- the menu came up, but game gave me an error message due to no joystick detected (as is normal). Installed XWAU, new menu came up, launched successfully. I jumped into a Flight Simulator mission and flew headlong (again, no joystick) into a wing of six TIE Fighters just to enjoy the shiny new cockpit. Died in a wave of gorgeous new green lasers.

But once I install the patch, the game won't launch beyond the menu. I've tried fiddling with the Babu Frik Configurator, I've tried leaving it completely alone-- nothing seems to work.

Can anyone think of something in the 4.0 patch that would be triggering a memory access violation error?
I've not been following this thread but if Update 4 is causing an issue this is the best way to troubleshoot it probably.
Install XWAU and get it working.
Copy the folder to somewhere else and call it "XWAU ok" or something. test it works.
Install XWAU Update 4 to original game location.
Then start copying small groups of folders from the Update 4 folder over to the working one, testing as you go. Maybe that will find the file issue.

I suggest starting with XwingAlliance.exe. Then the flightmodels folder and go from there

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:37 pm

Alright, done.

XWingAlliance.exe file is clear. I have also copied over the entire Flight Models folder, and the game launches successfully.

--EDIT--
Okay, after copying over the contents of the folder for Dynamic Cockpit, the XWingAlliance.exe file disappeared. And then when I re-copied it over from the working test folder, I got the familiar error.

Any thoughts?