XWA keeps crashing at same point in Prologue Mission 6

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

XWA keeps crashing at same point in Prologue Mission 6

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:15 am

Every time I reach 64% Rebels evacuated in this mission, the game crashes. Before I installed WXA 1.4, I didn't have any problem playing this mission. What gives? Is this an XWAUpgrade bug?

WarHawkster
Lieutenant JG

Post by WarHawkster » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:49 am

I still have issues running a resolution above 1080p. XWA hacker says it has a fix, but I don't think it works. Are you running a resolution higher than 1200 height? That might be the issue.

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 am

I'm playing at 1600x1200 resolution. I don't understand why such a high resolution would cause the game to crash near the end of a mission and at the same point of the mission multiple times, though. What changes from the beginning to the end of a particular mission (and that mission only) would force a crash? And would a corrupt mission file have anything to do with this?

Keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm talking about here. I'm no programmer or any sort of computer expert, I'm just spitballing here. :?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:31 pm

Hello,
This crash is caused by the fix for high resolutions.
To disable it, open xwahacker-qt and uncheck "Fix crashes for high résolutions (height > 1200)", then click Save.

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:18 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:Hello,
This crash is caused by the fix for high resolutions.
To disable it, open xwahacker-qt and uncheck "Fix crashes for high résolutions (height > 1200)", then click Save.
I'll try this and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Jeremy, I think you need to run this by me step by step (see previous post about me not being a programmer). Is xwahacker-qt different from xwahacker 3.0? When I unzipped xwahacker3.0, I got a folder filled with a bunch of files that I can't make sense of, and two of them that were application files. I ran the application file named "xwahacker" and it gave me a DOS screen that I have no idea how to read and nothing that looked anything like a check box.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:34 pm

1. Go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/xwahacker/files/
2. download xwahacker-gui-0.30-win.zip
3. unzip
4. from your XWA Dir copy and paste the xwingalliance.exe to the xwahacker-gui-0.30-win folder (from a fresh install of either XWAUCPv1.4 or DSUCPv2.4)
5. run xwahacker-qt.exe and select xwingalliance.exe
6. uncheck "Fix crashes for high resolutions (height > 1200)"
7. click Save
8. Copy and paste the xwingalliance.exe back to your XWA Dir overwriting the older version.
9. test
10. report if fixed
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 am

Just did the above and tested it. It crashed at 50% ships evacuated instead of 64%. Ugh, wtf is wrong with this thing?

Su-tehp
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Su-tehp » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 pm

I said "screw it" and played through Prologue Mission 6 without the Upgrade and then installed the Upgrade immediately afterwards. If this is a bug of some kind, I'll just let the people here figure it out while I continue to play the game I've waited 20 years to play right. :D

Seriously, having a joystick with 12 programmable buttons (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) makes ALL the difference in this game. That sort of joystick isn't something I could have justified buying for $200 back in 1999. :shock:

And having the improved graphics from the XWAUpgrade for most of the ships makes it all the sweeter. Thanks for all your hard work, guys!

ffaaway
Rebel Alliance

Post by ffaaway » Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 pm

Dsucp 2.6 I was crashing a lot on this mission.

I assumed it was from trying some hook ini editing but in the end I flipped off "win XP SP2 compatibility mode" and "run as administrator" and made it past this mission with my hooks enabled :)

Thought I'd post that in case it helps someone.

I am on win 10.
X-Wing pilot since 1993 and still kickin'

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Thu May 23, 2019 9:09 am

Ok, can you post the crash report windows give to you?
there could be two main causes: first is a problem in the mission - some ship measures could be changed in the upgrade, creating some numerical nonsense, and from that the crash (or mission bugs). Second is some issue in the directx or hardware. In the first case you should take care to note when exactly that crash happens (if some ship does trigger the event in some way), so we could try to work around. In the second you should expect some byte master around here take a look on that and procure the fix, what they do really finely.
Su-tehp wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:49 am
Just did the above and tested it. It crashed at 50% ships evacuated instead of 64%. Ugh, wtf is wrong with this thing?
that could be a secondary effect in the logics of the mission. IE. if mission setup require a ship to be at some distance from an object to clear to hyperspace, but with new ships that object would be within the space occupied by ship itself, there will be no hyperjump (in most cases) or some crashes (if the mission refer the numbers of that distances, wich return an unvalid number value, crashing the AI or the graphic engine of the game). If you are fond of Allied, try to discover the logical trigger for that part of the mission, and give a look to the waypoint, to be sure that there will be enough space between ships and their jumpoints and so on.