Winged Calamari Map Icon error

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Winged Calamari Map Icon error

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Battle 2 - Maybe all missions I believe
The briefings are not showing the Liberty Winged Calamari map icon.
They ares showing the Defiance one instead. The Winged has it's own icon though.

Also in Joinng the Rebellion - Mission 2
Briefing voice says deploys from Liberty and should be Defiance.
This seems to be a bug in the XWA voice acting and not XWAU.
Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\Wave\Frontend\B0m9\B000902

Has anyone got this issue with other versions of XWA that aren't from Steam?
EDIT: Ignore the sound. It goes back to CD days.

Look at the end for a fix for this message from me.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 pm

I've just checked it's the mission briefing that's pointing to the wrong icon or craft

The Icon is right the missions wrong
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 pm

There are a couple of little errors I notice too for icons when redesigning the map briefings for the TIE Fighter missions, like the Nebulon-B2 Frigate map icon doesn't actually rotate or mirror even though in AlliED it looks ok. In-game though, it just doesn't want to know. I think one or two other icons do this as well though can't remember off the top of my head which ones.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 pm
I've just checked it's the mission briefing that's pointing to the wrong icon or craft
The Icon is right the missions wrong
I open Allied and took a look at the briefing but all my icons are messed up in that.
The Liberty is a space worker for instance!!
What am I missing for Allied to make it work with XWAUCP?

AngeI wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 pm
There are a couple of little errors I notice too for icons when redesigning the map briefings for the TIE Fighter missions, like the Nebulon-B2 Frigate map icon doesn't actually rotate or mirror even though in AlliED it looks ok. In-game though, it just doesn't want to know. I think one or two other icons do this as well though can't remember off the top of my head which ones.
Install the MapIcons Fix from this thread to fix the Nebulon B icon in game.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12236

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:44 pm

I open Allied and took a look at the briefing but all my icons are messed up in that.
The Liberty is a space worker for instance!!
What am I missing for Allied to make it work with XWAUCP?
I don't know what might cause this problem, but have you tried to update the files in your AlliED directory?
If not you are missing the work done in 2018-2019 about some of the unknowns.
You can download the updated AlliED files from Darksaber's site, just below the link to download the Craft Pack v2.6.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:52 pm
I don't know what might cause this problem, but have you tried to update the files in your AlliED directory?
If not you are missing the work done in 2018-2019 about some of the unknowns.
You can download the updated AlliED files from Darksaber's site, just below the link to download the Craft Pack v2.6.
Ok I think I fixed it. In this mission at least. Updated the briefing to the right icon.
Your a mission guy Mark. If you have time to go through all the Liberty briefings in Battle 2 and fix them that would be helpful and should be easy.

The reason the icons is wrong I believe is because of the Palette file.
It doesn't match the Mapicon layout in the XWAU
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 pm

Use Yogme to edit, remember I made new mapicons, this is why they are messed up in Allied

the icons just need changing in each mission I've nearly finished fixing them all
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 pm
Use Yogme to edit, remember I made new mapicons, this is why they are messed up in Allied

the icons just need changing in each mission I've nearly finished fixing them all
Not really had a chance to look at Yogme much. It doesn't play the Wav files either does it?
The icons were better but it still showed a CRS and not Winged in the briefing even though the listing was correct.

Thanks for taking a look and fixing them :)
And with a small bit of clever engineering by myself... here is the fixed wave mission sound!
B000902 - Fixed Briefing Sound.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Ok finished fixing the icon in the missions

First I would back up your missions folder, (just in case) I'm no mission maker, I'm able to do this though :)

Within the main folder there are 2 other folders, RedYwing and GoldYwing, it depends on which color Ywing you have installed, to which folder of fixed missions you copy and paste the missions across
MissionIconFixes_2020_05_19.rar
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 19, 2020 11:13 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:04 pm
Ok finished fixing the icon in the missions

First I would back up your missions folder, (just in case) I'm no mission maker, I'm able to do this though :)

Within the main folder there are 2 other folders, RedYwing and GoldYwing, it depends on which color Ywing you have installed, to which folder of fixed missions you copy and paste the missions across

MissionIconFixes_2020_05_19.rar
Brilliant. Thanks very much. I didn't realise that the FG colour meant altered missions but I can understand why. I think you can do that with Hooks since can't you?
I just went for the default Y-wing which is Gold right?
I'm really rusty on mission making and not looked into that area in a long time.
Thanks for the quick fix Darksaber. Feel free to add my sound fix and use it in any future XWAUCP.

This week sure is find and fix all the bugs week! Lol I wasn't even looking for this. ;) Enjoy guys

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 am

So I noticed this as well, the Liberty is always displayed as the wingless Mon Cal (Defiance) as is the Independence (Home One).

I changed my training mission two so that the cruiser you have as your "mothership" is actually the Liberty (as it's a simulator mission, it doesn't matter that you are stationed on Defiance not Liberty), the things I needed to change were the cruiser model used, the name and then in briefing the string from CRS Defiance to CRS Liberty

Also needed to change the mission parameters to have "Region 1" called Cruiser Liberty instead of Cruiser Defiance

I did not change the icon for the Liberty as I knew it was the wingless one later in campaign briefings.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 am

Sorry but your wrong, you ONLY switch to the Liberty in mission 1b2m1g.tie before this mission your mothership IS the Defiance
- John Lydgate

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:44 pm

Install the MapIcons Fix from this thread to fix the Nebulon B icon in game.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12236
Ahh thank you! :)

Darksaber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:16 pm

I switch between YOGEME and AlliED myself as I find they both have their advantages. I find the briefing editor a little easier to use (and I use the term 'easier' lightly because its always a pain to create briefings!) in AlliED and I like the Wireframe map view as it gives me a better idea of relative sizes for ship placement. That said. YOGEMEs map editor allows me to mass move ships and waypoints easily as well as seeing relative waypoint overlays of selected ships and I can easily copy/paste orders to ships as well. Both useful for different reasons. Could be I'm just an old man used to using AlliED too much though :D

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 am

Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 am
Sorry but your wrong, you ONLY switch to the Liberty in mission 1b2m1g.tie before this mission your mothership IS the Defiance
First line of the briefing 1b0m9w.tie is "You will depart from the cruiser Liberty". It's a training mission which is not actually flown in a real craft but in a simulator so even though you are stationed on the Defiance I figured with the first line being about flying from Liberty I would change Defiance to Liberty for that mission to make the briefing accurate.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm

I don't know which mission your talking about but it not mission 1b0m9w.tie, 1b0m9w.tie starts with
Follow your instructor, Lt. Garn, to the first target area where you will begin the evaluation.

In Target Area 1 you will engage in a series of mock dogfights against the Empire's principle space superiority starfighter, the TIE, or Twin Ion Engine Fighter. Lt. Garn will observe.

Next, you will work with Lt. Garn as a two-ship flight element in another series of dogfights against the TIE Interceptor, a more recent and far more capable space superiority fighter.

In Target Area 3 you will be joined by another two-ship element to fight yet another series of dogfights against equal, and then greater numbers of enemy starfighters.

In the final test you will fly as part of an entire squadron in a massive engagement against multiple enemy squadrons featuring a variety of starfighters, some of which are armed with concussion missiles.
Can anyone else shed any light on this, I'm not going to start having a pissing match over how a mission briefing starts, to be honest I don't really care!
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 20, 2020 12:47 pm

maggee wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:38 am
Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:58 am
First line of the briefing 1b0m9w.tie is "You will depart from the cruiser Liberty". It's a training mission which is not actually flown in a real craft but in a simulator so even though you are stationed on the Defiance I figured with the first line being about flying from Liberty I would change Defiance to Liberty for that mission to make the briefing accurate.
That's actually a voice over error. When you leave the hangar the Defiance is there not Liberty.
I can see where you're coming from but if you download my voice over correction I posted above and Darksabers mission icon fixes then it's all back to normal :)
No need to change too much because of a LucasArts error in the briefing voice

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Thanks Ace, finally clarity!

1. Most of the time I don't have my sound turned on, so I wouldn't have heard what was spoken.
2. maggee should have stated that he was talking about the spoken briefing, I was reading the briefing from the actual mission
3. I still don't care :D
- John Lydgate

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm
2. maggee should have stated that he was talking about the spoken briefing, I was reading the briefing from the actual mission
It is in the actual briefing, there is no text it is only audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rhZJDwvRo go to 0:53.

I agree Ace has made the change that is more logical in terms of what was probably attended I was just saying what I did because
1. It still works (training mission therefore not in a real ship [ie simulator] so you could use any ship as the "mothership"
2. It adds a bit more variety to the game from an early point in the game without breaking anything

At no point was I implying that it was what needed to be changed, was just saying what I did in my game to make the incorrect wav file actually work

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 20, 2020 2:34 pm

maggee wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:04 pm
Darksaber wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm
It is in the actual briefing, there is no text it is only audio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rhZJDwvRo go to 0:53.

I agree Ace has made the change that is more logical in terms of what was probably attended I was just saying what I did because
1. It still works (training mission therefore not in a real ship [ie simulator] so you could use any ship as the "mothership"
2. It adds a bit more variety to the game from an early point in the game without breaking anything

At no point was I implying that it was what needed to be changed, was just saying what I did in my game to make the incorrect wav file actually work
Ok let this be the last of this on all sides please. It's a misunderstanding all around.
I get what you were doing maggee. You were just trying to share the edited mission that you made as an alternative way of getting around the issue. This is how you made it and you were not intending it to be used as an XWAUP official way. You were being a helpful member of this community. :)
I thank you for your contribution. Obviously it can lead to confusion by others so best not to have it here in this thread to download though.
Please keep looking out for other errors and letting us know if you find some :)

1 - Darksaber turn up your hearing aids ;) It was the sound issue that alerted me to the problem.
2 - I knew what he meant because I had the sound on. So you can't blame others if you didn't. You should know the game backwards by now :P
3 - We know, we know!! lol
4 - Ok, Everyone happy now? Good :)

If anyone spots other minor issues then post a new topic as I'm all for fixing minor problems as well new ships etc.