XWAUP Content Distribution

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWAUP Content Distribution

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:52 am

Since Darksaber was the one who used to put together all the craft packs, I assume there must be an ongoing discussion on how to move forward now. I just wanted to offer my thoughts.

One of Darksaber's recurring complaints was the tediousness of assembling all the crafts into a pack. I thought it would be better to create a Make flow (or equivalent) to build both the individual installers and the full pack, and handle all the details like incrementing the version numbers, all in one go.

Alternatively - and this would be a little more radical - you could forgo releasing discrete craft packs and instead create a XWAUP Updater, a la the Hook Updater. Each craft (or other component, like Super Backdrops & dynamic cockpits) could be downloaded (by the updater) as a simple archive, with instructions to the updater exe regarding file destinations, ascii/binary patches to apply, options to present, and/or scripts to run contained in a txt/xml/json/whatever file in the archive. This could vastly simplify the process of getting all the latest fixes in between craft pack compilations, but would be rather more difficult to set up up front. It would also depend on the site being always online (although it could also be possible to simply reinstall from the archives already downloaded in order to, for example, fix a borked dir or create a new one from a vanilla dir for experimentation).

Finally, I was wondering if there was any decision on the fate of the extra craft found only in DSUCP. I imagine permission to continue distributing any non-XWAUP craft created by Darksaber is a nonstarter; I don't know if there's any non-XWAUP content in DSUCP created by other parties for which permission to distribute could be obtained separately.

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:46 am

Well a number of clubs and players are using the pack for multiplayer. I guess one could just give him credit. My question is...are we clear to install the patches and crafts yet? wanted to test the latest version of the dynamic cockpits and that multicore solution.

Also...for new people, where would the modders get their tools now?
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:03 am

Haakan wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:46 am
Well a number of clubs and players are using the pack for multiplayer. I guess one could just give him credit. My question is...are we clear to install the patches and crafts yet? wanted to test the latest version of the dynamic cockpits and that multicore solution.

Ah sorry, those you can install. It's just the new crafts installers that have a couple of issues with compatibility and some bugs in them.

As for the editors and how to proceed with the I installers, we are currently working out the best way to proceed with that.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:07 am

Haakan wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:46 am

To make it super clear, anything on the XWAU site is fine to download. The bad files were not part of those.
Please follow the instructions and install Cockpits after all new fighters are installed.

You do not need to install anything not marked New.
We are compiling bug reports on a few things so if anyone finds any please let us know :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:58 am

One question to the installers of the new Crafts.
Have you changed here anything?
I downloaded the NEW ships and want to install them.
The installation starts and then i get the Error MEssage:
Invalid X-Wing Alliance installation!
Alliance hat NOT been fully istalled in the Destination Folder you_ve selected. Please select a valid folder!!

Thats's strange because the game is running absolut stabe and the other upgrades run with out problem.
Only the ships do not work.
Any idea ??
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:44 am

Please post this in the Help section along with the information what game version you are running and what installers are failing.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:18 pm

ok :-)
It's better to burn out than to fade away .