My targeted craft is now a round yellow dot in the sensor

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

My targeted craft is now a round yellow dot in the sensor

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 am

I... do not prefer this.

This happened after I installed the T-Wing, which I did because the one in the pack didn't charge or discharge it;s lasers when fired or via ELS.

I can't seem to see what's changed the HUD, though - I would very much like to change it back.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am

Hello,
This is done by the new DDraw effects.
You can disable it by setting "Radar2DRendererEnabled = 0" in "DDraw.cfg" or by using a previous version of DDraw dll.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:16 am

I tried adding that to my DDraw.cfg file and it made no difference. :( The line isn't there by default.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 am

What's the version number of your ddraw.dll?

Did you install the Effects by Blue Max (Dynamic Cockpits, Bloom, VR etc)?

The 'regular' dll form Jeremy should be around version 1.3.10 and it does not have the setting.

The Effects by Blue Max should be around version 1.1.3.1 (and has product version 1.1.3.1.VR) and should have this setting:

Code: Select all

; Enable the new radar renderer. Disabling this setting may improve performance
Radar2DRendererEnabled = 1
The appearance in the sensor was changed because it's visibility was effected by the different shader/options being used by the Blue Max version: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =9&t=12495

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am

BenKenobi wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 am
What's the version number of your ddraw.dll?

Did you install the Effects by Blue Max (Dynamic Cockpits, Bloom, VR etc)?

The 'regular' dll form Jeremy should be around version 1.3.10 and it does not have the setting.

The Effects by Blue Max should be around version 1.1.3.1 (and has product version 1.1.3.1.VR) and should have this setting:

Code: Select all

; Enable the new radar renderer. Disabling this setting may improve performance
Radar2DRendererEnabled = 1
The appearance in the sensor was changed because it's visibility was effected by the different shader/options being used by the Blue Max version: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =9&t=12495
The DLL is 1.3.10.1 according to Windows.

No new effects, just the new Opts and Hooks

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

BattleDog wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:05 am

The best option I suggest for now is to finish adding any New ships you plan to and haven't already. If not then future installs will just reinstall this new improvement.
Also the Effects and Backdrops are really amazing updates and essential imo.
The DDraw and Effects can conflict with each other. So if you plan on installing the Effects later you will only undo any fixes you made.

Once you have your game updated to your choice then fixing the Dot you don't like should be easier.
If you then find some bugs you can post them all and it can be looked into.

The change to the dot was made to improve visibility and the majority of people liked this option.
Sorry you are having so many problems. The next craft pack will fix most of them. We are working on making things better but there's a lot to sort out right now.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am
BattleDog wrote:

The best option I suggest for now is to finish adding any New ships you plan to and haven't already. If not then future installs will just reinstall this new improvement.
Also the Effects and Backdrops are really amazing updates and essential imo.
The DDraw and Effects can conflict with each other. So if you plan on installing the Effects later you will only undo any fixes you made.

Once you have your game updated to your choice then fixing the Dot you don't like should be easier.
If you then find some bugs you can post them all and it can be looked into.

The change to the dot was made to improve visibility and the majority of people liked this option.
Sorry you are having so many problems. The next craft pack will fix most of them. We are working on making things better but there's a lot to sort out right now.
I'm just doing what you did last month, catching up on more than a decade of change. Sorry to be annoying.

I'm not a fan of the big yellow dot, I have to be honest, feels "mushy". Maybe I'd like it more if it was a diamond or something. I think I'm done adding new craft for the moment, I just need to know which DLL file I need and what cfg line to change, once I have that I can always repeat the step later.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:48 am

BattleDog wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:40 am
I'm just doing what you did last month, catching up on more than a decade of change. Sorry to be annoying.

I'm not a fan of the big yellow dot, I have to be honest, feels "mushy". Maybe I'd like it more if it was a diamond or something. I think I'm done adding new craft for the moment, I just need to know which DLL file I need and what cfg line to change, once I have that I can always repeat the step later.
Don't worry I was plenty annoying when I returned lol There's a lot of stuff happened in the last few years
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:42 pm

BattleDog wrote:

Ok, just checked it with my install without the Effects from Blue Max, the change that was made in the DDraw.dll for Blue Max's version (1.1.3.1.VR) has been added to the regular DDraw.dll version 1.3.10 (as can be seen on github) but it seems the part to be able to configure it hasn't been added or isn't working (just tested it). When I test with the 1.3.9 DDraw.dll I get the good old bracket in the sensor.

So I guess it's something Jeremy has to look at.
JeremyaFr wrote: Mention to get your attention ;)

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:00 pm

Looking at the code, a quick fix should be to rename xwingalliance.exe and use that.
Other options include:
- use older ddraw.dll (as you did)
- if my variant works for you (it's primarily for the other games in the series), you can use that (e.g. https://github.com/rdoeffinger/xwa_ddra ... ag/v1.5.13) and set AutoPatch to 1 or 0 in the ddraw.cfg

All of these also disable the improved text rendering as well though