A question regarding 2015-onward content...

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

A question regarding 2015-onward content...

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:14 am

As a fan of Resistance it was very very nice to see the accelerator rings from the show make it onto here. Felt great honestly. So here's my ultimate question then.

Are there plans to include broader Disney-era content into XWAU? I know it's a VERY Legends game, but I genuinely can imagine scenarios where it'd be especially cool to see Strikers, U-Wings, Reapers and whatnot at play in the base game itself. (Hel, it'd be cool to get to fly a U-Wing anyway.)

I dunno'. I'm not saying XWAU isn't ambitious enough or anything..! But I'd be extremely interested to see more canon content added! Surely, somebody somewhere is working on an MC-75? That thing is just too beautiful not to include.
"Nothing worth it is ever easy."
My pronouns are She/Her, thank you.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 am

KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:14 am
As a fan of Resistance it was very very nice to see the accelerator rings from the show make it onto here. Felt great honestly. So here's my ultimate question then.

Are there plans to include broader Disney-era content into XWAU? I know it's a VERY Legends game, but I genuinely can imagine scenarios where it'd be especially cool to see Strikers, U-Wings, Reapers and whatnot at play in the base game itself. (Hel, it'd be cool to get to fly a U-Wing anyway.)

I dunno'. I'm not saying XWAU isn't ambitious enough or anything..! But I'd be extremely interested to see more canon content added! Surely, somebody somewhere is working on an MC-75? That thing is just too beautiful not to include.
You can find lots of the NEU ships either here

http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/

or at

https://sites.google.com/view/rebel-spe ... s/shipyard

The Resurgent-class Star Destroyer and MC75 are on both websites, but I believe the first link has more up-to-date versions of the ship.

Regarding the missions, we're currently reworking most of them. I personally would like to remaster the campaign at some point, akin to what the TFTC is doing. That would mean restoring some cut content, making some of the missions more grandiose and adding some ships, such as the U-wing, MC75, Arquitens or other NEU ships. That's just my opinion though, not saying this is something the team is working on.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 am

DTM's page indeed has the more up to date versions of the MC75 and the Resurgent, don't download those two off of my Google page.

Most of the Rogue One craft and many of the Resistance era craft are also available but with a few notable exceptions that I hope are temporary.

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 am

Jaeven wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 am
KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:14 am

You can find lots of the NEU ships either here

http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/

or at

https://sites.google.com/view/rebel-spe ... s/shipyard

The Resurgent-class Star Destroyer and MC75 are on both websites, but I believe the first link has more up-to-date versions of the ship.

Regarding the missions, we're currently reworking most of them. I personally would like to remaster the campaign at some point, akin to what the TFTC is doing. That would mean restoring some cut content, making some of the missions more grandiose and adding some ships, such as the U-wing, MC75, Arquitens or other NEU ships. That's just my opinion though, not saying this is something the team is working on.
Oh my goodness, that is the dream. Thanks for the input here man, y'all are SERIOUSLY pulling out all the stops. I wish I could contribute.

Though, I just may. I'm a busy lady but I've grown dissatisfied with the tracks XWA has - just three films' worth y'know? I want to see if I can't remix some stuff, throw in Rogue One content. Maybe stuff from the ST, SOLO if it fits. Not sure on Mando.

Point is we've got way more movies to work with and I wanna' see if perhaps I can manage to refresh this music library. Gods know it could use it, though the sound engineers did a masterful job mixing music primarily from ESB-RoTJ (which... is pretty time period appropriate given the setting of the game...)

Side question. It's apparent that the experimental TIEs are remote controlled. Would it be prudent to put CIS-Fighter-like eyes on them somewhere?

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 am

Currently there are no plans to add any new ships to the game in the scope of XWAU. This was always more the area of the DSCUP. However since the future of that is questionable there is talk within the team on how to address this. There might be add-on packages that we offer with non-XWAU ships in specific slots so that there is again some sort of consistence for other modders. Those models would have to be provided by the community however, as the team is currently still extremely busy just getting all the rest of the work done. (Which is still going to take a long time...)
Be aware that this is something that is currently being discussed and has not been decided!

As for adding new music to the game, while I applaud the idea and initiative be aware that adding licensed music to the game that has not been included in the original could result in legal issues. As such we will not be able to make this an official part of the XWAU. So far the XWAU has not ruffled any legal feathers and I would very much like to stay that way. Not saying you couldn't offer a music pack on your own, but honestly this is really asking for trouble.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:45 am

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:53 am
Currently there are no plans to add any new ships to the game in the scope of XWAU. This was always more the area of the DSCUP. However since the future of that is questionable there is talk within the team on how to address this. There might be add-on packages that we offer with non-XWAU ships in specific slots so that there is again some sort of consistence for other modders. Those models would have to be provided by the community however, as the team is currently still extremely busy just getting all the rest of the work done. (Which is still going to take a long time...)
Be aware that this is something that is currently being discussed and has not been decided!

As for adding new music to the game, while I applaud the idea and initiative be aware that adding licensed music to the game that has not been included in the original could result in legal issues. As such we will not be able to make this an official part of the XWAU. So far the XWAU has not ruffled any legal feathers and I would very much like to stay that way. Not saying you couldn't offer a music pack on your own, but honestly this is really asking for trouble.
Ah, frak... And I just figured out how to edit that sort of thing to boot. >:/

Well, that sucks. I was getting pretty hype to work on that 'cause MAN... This music mix is OLD.

But like, if I can put my two cents in, adding content that is consistent with the 2015 onward vision is really really cool IMO. That type of consistency just rocks. I'd love to take on an Arquentins flanking a couple Star Destroyers or Raiders in place of Lancers. It'd just feel so much more complete.

Another question if you don't mind, a concern I have about one of the models. Most of them are really great but, as a huge Y-Wing fangirl I've got questions and concerns about the Y-Wing model used in this mod. A lot of the proportions are kinda' off and I was wondering if there are any plans to overhaul that lovable, venerable craft?

Furthermore, though I'm not sure how easy it'd be to do, are there any plans to make it so one can edit ship FG in-game, rather than using ALLIED?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:02 am

KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:45 am
Another question if you don't mind, a concern I have about one of the models. Most of them are really great but, as a huge Y-Wing fangirl I've got questions and concerns about the Y-Wing model used in this mod. A lot of the proportions are kinda' off and I was wondering if there are any plans to overhaul that lovable, venerable craft?

Furthermore, though I'm not sure how easy it'd be to do, are there any plans to make it so one can edit ship FG in-game, rather than using ALLIED?
There's always a chance of crafts being updated, so an updated Y-Wing is not out of the question, but again, many things are being worked on, so I wouldn't hold your breath for now.

Can you elaborate what exactly you mean by editing the ship FG in-game? You mean being able to choose it at the start of a mission? I don't think this is in the works, I have no idea if this would even be possible. Or do you mean something else?

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am

Forceflow wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:02 am
KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:45 am

There's always a chance of crafts being updated, so an updated Y-Wing is not out of the question, but again, many things are being worked on, so I wouldn't hold your breath for now.

Can you elaborate what exactly you mean by editing the ship FG in-game? You mean being able to choose it at the start of a mission? I don't think this is in the works, I have no idea if this would even be possible. Or do you mean something else?
Yeah, just the FG - like, the color, in game. ALLIED is fine but y'know it'd just be nice to not HAVE to go to it to sod around with making an allied ISD a New Republic ship.

Oh speaking of, any plans to mess with more New Republic paintjobs, or stuff from the upcoming Squadrons game?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 am

KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am
Yeah, just the FG - like, the color, in game. ALLIED is fine but y'know it'd just be nice to not HAVE to go to it to sod around with making an allied ISD a New Republic ship.

Oh speaking of, any plans to mess with more New Republic paintjobs, or stuff from the upcoming Squadrons game?
Not quite sure I understand the request. I mean you have to make a mission that uses the ship in question anyways, or do you mean in skirmishes? For that I don't actually know, but I do think that generally behaves like a mission, too. So I don't think there's a way to do it in game. BTW, to use more FG colors (some ships have more than the 4 supported by Allied) you have to either use YOGEME or use an .ini hack for the mission.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:35 pm

KCDodger wrote:

Hi KC Dodger. Welcome to the XWAU forums, if no one said it yet. :)

DTM website is the place to look at as mentioned above. He has lots of great ships from various movies including Rogue One and Rebels etc.

I believe there's a few cool other paint jobs in other ships being worked on. Like the Victory and Imperial Star Destroyers. Including a nice red one...
Also I think there's a EU X-wing someone else is doing for a personal project.

There is a TIE Fighter Total Conversion in the works also. Not from XWAU though.
They are adding lots of extra existing ships where possible to make it more fun. Like the TIE Striker etc.

Nothing is planned for Squadrons yet and doubtfully soon. But it's often after release that things could spark interest in people. So that's going to be a wait and see thing.

As for changing FG colours. It is probably quicker to change them in AlliED but that's a permanent choice kinda.
You can edit the INI file to set up different colours for different ships. I'll share an example later tonight.

We are going to add some of the cool existing colours to the current missions where possible. That will be out sometime in the not too distant future hopefully.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:35 pm
KCDodger wrote:

Hi KC Dodger. Welcome to the XWAU forums, if no one said it yet. :)

DTM website is the place to look at as mentioned above. He has lots of great ships from various movies including Rogue One and Rebels etc.

I believe there's a few cool other paint jobs in other ships being worked on. Like the Victory and Imperial Star Destroyers. Including a nice red one...
Also I think there's a EU X-wing someone else is doing for a personal project.

There is a TIE Fighter Total Conversion in the works also. Not from XWAU though.
They are adding lots of extra existing ships where possible to make it more fun. Like the TIE Striker etc.

Nothing is planned for Squadrons yet and doubtfully soon. But it's often after release that things could spark interest in people. So that's going to be a wait and see thing.

As for changing FG colours. It is probably quicker to change them in AlliED but that's a permanent choice kinda.
You can edit the INI file to set up different colours for different ships. I'll share an example later tonight.

We are going to add some of the cool existing colours to the current missions where possible. That will be out sometime in the not too distant future hopefully.
Sir! Thank you for welcoming me..!

Ace, thank you for all these answers. They're very nice to hear! Lots of really, really cool stuff and it's nice to see that the XWA community is alive and well... And, I've a specific question. Pardon my constant asking (Though, do y'all got a Discord or somethin'..?)

Is there anywhere the HWK-290 can still be downloaded?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 pm

Please ask any questions you feel like.
I've been around for 20 years but after a 10 year break I was a total newbie moron lol Asking dumb things all the time.
I have some answers for your questions as well as music questions for you! :D But I shall have to come back with those answers in a short while.
To be continued!

KCDodger
Cadet 4th Class

Post by KCDodger » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:30 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 pm
Please ask any questions you feel like.
I've been around for 20 years but after a 10 year break I was a total newbie moron lol Asking dumb things all the time.
I have some answers for your questions as well as music questions for you! :D But I shall have to come back with those answers in a short while.
To be continued!
I await with bated breath!!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:08 am

KCDodger wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:17 pm
Sir! Thank you for welcoming me..!

Ace, thank you for all these answers. They're very nice to hear! Lots of really, really cool stuff and it's nice to see that the XWA community is alive and well... And, I've a specific question. Pardon my constant asking (Though, do y'all got a Discord or somethin'..?)

Is there anywhere the HWK-290 can still be downloaded?
There isn't an XWAU Discord channel. We don't have the time to moderate it. There are several active X-Wing channels out there though.

I had to look up what the HWK-290 was lol I just call it the Moldy Crow. Brilliant ship.
You should be able to download it from the link below.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200512115 ... ports.html
Side question. It's apparent that the experimental TIEs are remote controlled. Would it be prudent to put CIS-Fighter-like eyes on them somewhere?
That's an interesting idea but not one that we will use I expect. I count those ships as more living droids and I don't see the Experimentals that way myself.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 am

KCDodger wrote:
The easiest way to change a FG colour is by using a mission editor like AlliEd or Yogeme.
But that only allows you to use up to 4 colours. For ships with more or to make easy templates you can alter FG listings in the Mission INI files.

For example in Battle 2, Mission 2 the Z-95 Bandits use the new colours DTM made.

Code: Select all

;1b2m2g.ini

[Resdata]
Resdata\Planet2.dat

[mission_tie]
fg, 0, markings, 4
fg, 1, markings, 5
fg, 2, markings, 4
fg, 3, markings, 5
You can get the FG number from Allied but you need to start with 0 and Allied starts at 1.
You can see the different FG colours in XWA Opt Explorer.
We want to use some of these type of things in the new Mission balancing. Hopefully that makes sense

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:02 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 am

The easiest way to change a FG colour is by using a mission editor like AlliEd or Yogeme.
But that only allows you to use up to 4 colours.
Quick correction: Yogeme supports FG colours beyond 4.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm

Will T wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:02 am
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:30 am

But that only allows you to use up to 4 colours.
Quick correction: Yogeme supports FG colours beyond 4.
Interesting. I thought I saw that last night but it confused me as I was tired lol

So if we set the FG colours with Yogeme then they will work in the game with no ini needed?
What happens if someone then opens the mission in AlliED and saves it. Will it lose the setting or only if that FG gets touched.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm

So if we set the FG colours with Yogeme then they will work in the game with no ini needed?
Yep. I've only done it to set Luke's Red 5 FG colours in B4M4 and Wedge's Red 2 FG colours in all B7 missions for Spyder's T-65, but it's worked fine. No ini changes needed.

I haven't tried it on a player FG, but I don't see why it wouldn't work there.
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:13 pm
What happens if someone then opens the mission in AlliED and saves it. Will it lose the setting or only if that FG gets touched.
I think as long as you don't touch the FG itself in Allied, you're fine.

I just loaded up B4M4 in Yogeme, confirmed Luke's Rogue 1 FG was set to Markings: Color #6, closed it, opened the mission in AlliED, edited the name of the first FG group and changed it back so that I could save then closed and loaded back up in Yogeme. Rogue 1 was still set to Markings: Color #6.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

RevRyeBread
Recruit

Post by RevRyeBread » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Driftwood wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 am
DTM's page indeed has the more up to date versions of the MC75 and the Resurgent, don't download those two off of my Google page.

Most of the Rogue One craft and many of the Resistance era craft are also available but with a few notable exceptions that I hope are temporary.
Hey! Separate person here- I'm incredibly interested in downloading some of the prequel/Sequel ships. I'm very new to this- How would I go about downloading these off the website?

Thank you so much for the response!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm

RevRyeBread wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38 pm
Driftwood wrote:

Hey! Separate person here- I'm incredibly interested in downloading some of the prequel/Sequel ships. I'm very new to this- How would I go about downloading these off the website?

Welcome RevRyeBread to our little corner of the Universe.
So first go to this website. - http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/

To download the ships just click the menu arrows on the top right to see the options. Then click the name on the list.
Then you want to click the OPT download on the left side.
To add to the game that's another whole topic on it's own but start with that for now :)

RevRyeBread
Recruit

Post by RevRyeBread » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Outstanding! Thank you Ace! I'm very excited to see this community alive- Very excited to learn more!

RevRyeBread
Recruit

Post by RevRyeBread » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:55 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 pm
RevRyeBread wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:38 pm
Driftwood wrote:

Welcome RevRyeBread to our little corner of the Universe.
So first go to this website. - http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/

To download the ships just click the menu arrows on the top right to see the options. Then click the name on the list.
Then you want to click the OPT download on the left side.
To add to the game that's another whole topic on it's own but start with that for now :)
Alright! I got them downloaded- Where could I find a guide on how to get them into the game?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:31 am

RevRyeBread wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:55 am
Alright! I got them downloaded- Where could I find a guide on how to get them into the game?
I suggest you make a duplicate copy of your whole XWA folder first as a backup.
That way if you make mistakes, which everyone does at least once, you can restore stuff.

The simplest way to add stuff right now is to use MxvtEd. There is a lot going on to get the total experience. More than I can share.
Mxvted4.2.rar

See this guide which may help.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200512125 ... xvted.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.