New collection of Backdrops by different authors

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

New collection of Backdrops by different authors

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:57 am

The planets, starfields and asteroidfields we see in XWA are contained in the "planet.dat" file. This file has a predefined number of slots, so the number of planets and starfields that can be loaded is limited, but thanks to the Hooks created by Jeremy, multiple versions of the planet.dat file can be used in the game. A few years ago XWAU created the Super Backdrop patch which uses two versions of the same file: "planet.dat" and "planet2.dat". But why not make more versions of the "planet.dat" files available?

On Youtube I saw some beautiful videos, which use new starfields, new planets and asteroids. I know some of these will soon be made available with the TFTC, but there are also other beautiful backdrops, such as those created by Korekwerner...

This topic is to all those who have made Backdrops and want to share them. You don't need to post your "planet.dat" file, which is too large. Just post your images in PNG format, already prepared to be placed in the planet.dat file. In this way we will be able to organize a collection of different authors. If you do not have the possibility to post the image, you can also send it to me via email, and I will insert it in this topic or in the collection, as you wish. Obviously the credits will be recognized with a list of authors.

Please: do not post images of planets or starfields that are not already processed and ready for the planet.dat file. This topic is not to satisfy individual player requests. It's just to create a collection of works by authors who have been able to create something for XWA.
Thanks!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:49 pm

Sounds like a great idea.
Any person with a bit of artistic talent can create something even if you can't edit XWA yourself.

It's best for the planet pictures to be 512x512 isn't it?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Thank you DTM for this topic.
I will put soon some of my work.

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Very good Idea wee see some beautifull background this last times

labc133
Cadet 1st Class

Post by labc133 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:16 pm

Hey DTM, nice idea! : )

just as a sidenote: the individual .dat files are limited to around 2GB in size (when adding with XWADatEditor). Anything larger than that will crash the file and make it unusable.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:49 pm
It's best for the planet pictures to be 512x512 isn't it?
Correct. The XWAU has adopted this measure as the new standard for planets and stars. It is certainly possible to insert larger or smaller images, but in the game these will be larger or smaller than the others.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:59 pm

DTM wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Correct. The XWAU has adopted this measure as the new standard for planets and stars. It is certainly possible to insert larger or smaller images, but in the game these will be larger or smaller than the others.

Yeah TFTC ones go a bit higher than this :D