Some Improvements to Missions

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Some Improvements to Missions

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:01 pm

B0M4 is one of those standout missions that makes you think "Why?" You get told to destroy a craft, but then you get yelled at for doing so and you get points deducted. It always nagged me. I opened it up in good ol' YOGEME and poked around, learning how missions are scripted along the way. (It's a little more cumbersome than FreeSpace, to be honest, but it works) I mucked around and changed the Venix's team to something non-Viraxo, but it shows up as "enemy craft, destroy it!" in the CMD regardless, and setting the team to Neutral doesn't appear to make the "Enemy Craft" identifier disappear, unless the "Yellow" IFF color is automatic hostile. At the moment it belongs to a different global group, group 3... and is hostile, so you don't lose points and have Emkay freak out on you. If anyone knows how to get around it being strictly marked as an enemy craft, let me know. With ships being limited to only 4 orders per region, I can't just have it defect to the enemy team.

I also dummied out a couple of lines. One that didn't have a voice file, "I'll just drop your supplies and go" had a misnamed wave file that had Emon saying it instead of Aeron, suggesting that Emon was originally supposed to be piloting the Venix... for some reason. I also dummied out the second "Shut up, Emkay!" and combined Emon and Aeron's waves into one to have the effect of them both shouting at him at the same time as the developers intended per mission notes. I also went ahead and said "screw it" and changed a few messages to match the actual spoken dialogue.

Overall it's a little cleaner, I think, but the only other thing I can't seem to work around is Emkay saying "Our time is up, we have to go now!" even after I've already left Viraxo 54 no matter what I do with the message cancel criteria. If anyone's interested, here's the mission and updated wave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?" -Yoda

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:16 pm

So regarding the 'Enemy craft, destroy it! message. This is because of two factors but mostly its relating to the primary goal settings but lets take this example from the above mission.

CORT Venix MUST be destroyed - On its own, this brings up the message 'Enemy craft, others will destroy it' when you target the ship. As the players own attack orders include CORT Venix as a target, then the message becomes: 'Enemy craft, destroy it!' as its directed at you personally. This message comes up regardless of the Team or IFF the target ship belongs to.

As for the Emkay message, I've not actually messed with message cancelling conditions, but have you tried 100% CORT Sabra must Leave Region #2?

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:42 am

Yeah, and I've tried 100% of primary goals complete. No dice. It's rather odd.

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Hmm. This didn't generate quite as much interest as I'd hoped.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:17 am

I like your "Shut up, Emkay" mix. I'm going to give it a go
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:15 pm

I vote for the mix to be in the next mega-update!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 am

Oh, so there IS life in here. :P

Note that it's not just the mix, but the mission, too. Otherwise you'll just have Aeron repeating herself. How do you guys feel it works in-game?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 03, 2021 12:04 am

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 am

Note that it's not just the mix, but the mission, too. Otherwise you'll just have Aeron repeating herself. How do you guys feel it works in-game?
FYI @Luke_Skywalker I have added you Wave file mix to the newest Update 3.
Thanks for your contribution :)

Luke_Skywalker
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Luke_Skywalker » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:04 am
Luke_Skywalker wrote:

w00t! Thanks for including it! Though I have to wonder why you didn't just use my modified mission along with it, too. :P

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:09 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:04 am
Luke_Skywalker wrote:

w00t! Thanks for including it! Though I have to wonder why you didn't just use my modified mission along with it, too. :P
I didn't know you had a modified mission.
But our missions have had multiple small tweaks and even more since 2020 release, so we need to know what works.
Thanks for the sound anyway :)