Output hook

A Forum dedicated to the Suggestion, Creation and Editing of XWA Dynamic Link Library Files

Moderator: JeremyaFr

Output hook

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi,

I would like to know if it would be possible to write a hook that enables sending game information out a serial port.
Let me explain a bit. I'm building a sort of a cockpit. It's basically a keyboard replacement but I want to extend it a bit so it can also display game information such as (for example) the speed and power settings. I am using an Arduino Due with a bunch of buttons and switches and some LCD's.

To give you an idea:
(It's a very early build, the panels will be made out of aluminium in a later version)
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:18 pm

That's fantastic.

Can I ask that you thoroughly document your progress and keep notes if you aren't already? I would love to do this one day as well but my skillset has none of the experience. I would love to be able to follow your lead one day.
Image Image Image Image Image

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:44 pm

Thanks,

To be honest, I haven't really documented it step by step, it's at the second iteration and I've already planned the third. But that's no problem, I can easily track back from the code and I planned on working out the schematics for the next version.
Development is currently slow however, mostly because of the extremely long delivery times for the parts from China :(

m0rgg
XWAU Member

Post by m0rgg » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:10 pm

That's great!

What I can suggest is that you check SimHub.

It's designed to support multiple outputs and support multiple games through plugins. Someone would need to develop a plugin for XWA but with the correct memory addresses, that JeremyaFr can probably provide, it should be quite straightforward.

The other usual method is for the game to export the telemetry data through UDP network packets.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:17 am

Thanks for the suggestion m0rgg, I'll look into that.