XWAUP presents: the Super Backdrops patch

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAUP presents: the Super Backdrops patch

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:02 am

Six months of work and testing, more than 350 new high definition images to replace all the original planets, nebulae, galaxies, asteroids and Death Star...to create the most revolutionary patch I've ever made. XWA is ten years younger now!

DTM's Super Backdrop can be downladed in the Download section.

Special thanks to:
JeremyFr, who discovered the offsets in the X-wingAlliance.exe to insert higher resolution textures within the X-Wing Alliance game
Darksaber, to be always present with his installers and precious suggestions

This patch replaces the old Backdrop images and insert a new moder starfield to all the X-Wing Alliance missions including the Pilot Proving Grounds’ missions. Use the readme file of the patch for further information and to discover how to insert the new starfield to all custom missions.

How does really changes the XWA gameplay? Some screenshots to show you the new scenario of XWA...

Have fun playing XWA again with all XWAUP patches!
Last edited by DTM on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 am

Oh my good!!!

Thank you very much for this nice pic and thanks for you works!!!!

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm

In love you guys!! Thanks you very much!!

"Nasios pa vola"

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Nice. another one to include in DSUCP too and the XWAUP installer ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Magnificient :applaus:

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 am

THANK YOU GUYS
Darksaber, to be always present with his installers and precocious suggestions
Fixed for you.

You guys are really awesome and even though there have sadly been few actual releases from XWAU lately, or XWA in general, the things that have been released are really pushing the envelope lately and have had a dramatic impact on the cinematic aspect of the game with new hangar capabilities, consolidated craft pack download, other game limit expanding changes, and now new starfield in time for Christmas.

Yeah, you rock.
Last edited by Driftwood on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:14 am, edited 8 times in total.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:03 am

Well done. Thanks DTM, DS, Force (for hosting), and anyone else involved. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:16 pm

Hello, new funds are impressive, but I have a problem, I have installed XWA on an old computer (AMD Sempron 1.47 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 Pro Family, Window XP SP3 32 bit). The problem is that no new funds cargo loaded, everything looks white, planets and other objects appear but the star field is completely white. The question is there any limitation on system resources, or the computer is just old.

Pd. It is the Ferry Boat that is seen in some pictures, when will be released for download.

"Excuse my English but is a translation of Google"

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Gabriel Solo wrote:Hello, new funds are impressive, but I have a problem, I have installed XWA on an old computer (AMD Sempron 1.47 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 Pro Family, Window XP SP3 32 bit). The problem is that no new funds cargo loaded, everything looks white, planets and other objects appear but the star field is completely white. The question is there any limitation on system resources, or the computer is just old.

Pd. It is the Ferry Boat that is seen in some pictures, when will be released for download.

Gabriel check you have active "3D Hardware" in the game option.

Gabriel comprueba que tienes activada la opcion de hardware 3d en las opciones del juego.

"Nasios pa vola"

Michal
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Michal » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 pm

The first of all - Congratulations to DTM. Great work!!!
Nice to see new Ferry boar liner on one of the screenshots :-)

Unfortunatelly I have the same issue as Gabriel Solo - instead of new starfield I have the white background. New planets, nebulas etc. are working good. My computer is very similiar to Gabriel.

I'm using no-cd patch and patch to widescreen resolutions.
Last edited by Michal on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My current project X-Wing Game Series Twitter
My old project X-Wing Series Site, still online

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 am

BUG REPORT:

The EXE edits applied: Check
Backdrops installed and working: Check
Starfield backdrop working: NOPE

On a hunch I searched through the resdata.txt file and found that there is a fix for this bug.

It seems that these two lines in the resdata.txt file are partially overriding DTM's patch:

Resdata\FrontPlanet_UCP.dat
Resdata\Planet_XWAUP.dat

Delete these from the resdata call list and the starfield will work correctly.

A patch might be in order.

Thank you!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:49 am

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's incompatible with anything, before posting something like this in future try bringing it to my attention so it can be resolved, and that doesn't mean posting it in bright red letters the way you have done!!! :kopfwand:

For your information I've fixed it, please download it again!

Thank you :D :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 am

Technically you're right it's a minor conflict by definition, not a full on incompatibility.

But all the same, thank you very much for updating it. :rate10:

PS. Once I re-familiarize myself with XWAU forum setup, I'll pass you a PM in the unlikely event something doesn't work right in the future.
I actually don't know where the pm function is.

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Ramshu wrote:
Gabriel Solo wrote:Hello, new funds are impressive, but I have a problem, I have installed XWA on an old computer (AMD Sempron 1.47 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 Pro Family, Window XP SP3 32 bit). The problem is that no new funds cargo loaded, everything looks white, planets and other objects appear but the star field is completely white. The question is there any limitation on system resources, or the computer is just old.

Gabriel check you have active "3D Hardware" in the game option.

Gabriel comprueba que tienes activada la opcion de hardware 3d en las opciones del juego.
Si esta activada. (Yes is actived)

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Respondiendo de forma más amplia a lo que me pregunta Ramshu, estas son las capturas de imagen de la configuración de video./Responding wider ask me what Ramshu form, these image captures video settings.
Portapapeles01.jpg
Portapapeles02.jpg
De esta manera se ve desde el hangar/In this way it looks from the hangar
Portapapeles03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:28 pm

Gabriel Solo wrote:Respondiendo de forma más amplia a lo que me pregunta Ramshu, estas son las capturas de imagen de la configuración de video./Responding wider ask me what Ramshu form, these image captures video settings.
Por lo que he podido leer parece ser un error del instalador que ya esta solucionado, así que desinstala el "DTMSBv1.0.exe" baja la version actualizada, con el mismo nombre, y reinstala.

Si sigue sin funcionar, probaría a usar el ddraw de Jeremya xwa_ddraw_d3d11.1.1.zip simplemente descomprime el contenido en la raiz del juego.

------------------------

From what I have read it seems an error installer is already solved, uninstall the "DTMSBv1.0.exe", download the updated version, with the same name, and reinstall.

If still not working, try using ddraw of Jeremya xwa_ddraw_d3d11.1.1.zip, just unzip the contents to the root of the game.

"Nasios pa vola"

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 pm

small question DTM, there seems to be a bug there, with the missions that are patched

names of the ship are not correct (for exemple, "Otana 1" instead of "Otana"), could you check ?

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:33 am

Ramshu wrote:
Gabriel Solo wrote:Respondiendo de forma más amplia a lo que me pregunta Ramshu, estas son las capturas de imagen de la configuración de video./Responding wider ask me what Ramshu form, these image captures video settings.
Por lo que he podido leer parece ser un error del instalador que ya esta solucionado, así que desinstala el "DTMSBv1.0.exe" baja la version actualizada, con el mismo nombre, y reinstala.

Si sigue sin funcionar, probaría a usar el ddraw de Jeremya xwa_ddraw_d3d11.1.1.zip simplemente descomprime el contenido en la raiz del juego.

------------------------

From what I have read it seems an error installer is already solved, uninstall the "DTMSBv1.0.exe", download the updated version, with the same name, and reinstall.

If still not working, try using ddraw of Jeremya xwa_ddraw_d3d11.1.1.zip, just unzip the contents to the root of the game.
-----------------------

Nada de lo que me dijiste me funciona.

Nothing you said I work.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:27 am

what is your GPU and your current driver version ?

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:27 am

Hello everyone I am still having problems with this patch sometimes it works and after awhile, my Resdata file is changed to just this:

Resdata\Backdrop.dat
Resdata\DSFire.dat
Resdata\Galaxy.dat
Resdata\Nebula.dat
Resdata\Planet.dat

I will have to install My Resdata file and the DTM Super Backdrop patch all over again.... somethings wrong... but when it work it is AWESOME!!!!
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Rookie_One1,

There are 53 missions in all, I know they don't all have the Otana in them, but if you could narrow it down to a specific mission, it would be a great help :)

Hi Rogue,

I've just checked the installer and couldn't find anything wrong with it, everything installed as it should, yes the Resdata.txt file is patch with

Resdata\Backdrop.dat
Resdata\DSFire.dat
Resdata\Galaxy.dat
Resdata\Nebula.dat
Resdata\Planet.dat

but they are inserted above the other lines

mines fine and looks like so

Resdata\Backdrop.dat
Resdata\DSFire.dat
Resdata\Galaxy.dat
Resdata\Nebula.dat
Resdata\Planet.dat
Resdata\WrapBack.dat
Resdata\ShipStuffUCP1.dat
Resdata\ShipStuffUCP2.dat
Resdata\ShipStuffUCP3.dat
Resdata\ShipStuffUCP4.dat
Resdata\ShipStuffUCP5.dat
Resdata\Hull_Icons_UCP.dat
Resdata\Map_Icons_UCP.dat

The only thing I can think of is that your files are set to readonly or you still have that horrible UAC (User Account Control) enabled.

The only other thing I can suggest is your using Windows 8 as my installers have never been tested with windows 8, though they should work fine
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:20 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:what is your GPU and your current driver version ?
Fabricante de tarjeta gráfica Powered by ATI
Chipset gráfico RADEON 9250
ID de dispositivo 5960
Proveedor 1002
ID de subsistema 2094
ID de proveedor de subsistema 148C
Tipo de bus AGP
Configuración actual de bus AGP 4X
Versión de BIOS 008.017D.016.00
Número de pieza de BIOS BK-ATI VER008.017D.016.000
Fecha de BIOS 2005/04/26

Drivers

Versión del paquete de controladores 8.252-060503a-038185C-ATI
Versión de Catalyst® 06.11
Proveedor ATI Technologies Inc.
Versión de controlador 2D 6.14.10.6614
Ruta de archivo de controlador 2D System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{8B4F4BC8-8D5C-4389-98E4-C616F0F28F9A}\0000
Versión de Direct3D 6.14.10.0399
Versión de OpenGL 6.14.10.5819
Versión de Catalyst® Control Center 1.2.2314.20337

Tamaño de memoria 128 MB
Tipo de memoria DDR SGRAM / SDRAM

Reloj central en MHz 239 MHz
Reloj de memoria en MHz 200 MHz

Pantalla principal Sí

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 pm

¿Puedes por favor enviar el problema con su tarjeta gráfica en un nuevo tema en los problemas Soft / Hardware y dejar de estorbar encima de este hilo por favor

Gracias
- John Lydgate

Gabriel Solo
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Gabriel Solo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:06 pm

Darksaber wrote:¿Puedes por favor enviar el problema con su tarjeta gráfica en un nuevo tema en los problemas Soft / Hardware y dejar de estorbar encima de este hilo por favor

Gracias
ok, disculpa

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 pm

Darksaber wrote:Hi Rookie_One1,

There are 53 missions in all, I know they don't all have the Otana in them, but if you could narrow it down to a specific mission, it would be a great help :)

All of them actually...as strange as it sound

those that you are in the Sabra, the Sabra is called the "Sabra 1", in the first training mission, the y-wing that the player is in is called "Rookie 1 1" instead of "Rookie 1"