XWAUP presents: the Super Backdrops patch

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUP presents: the Super Backdrops patch

patking13
Recruit

Post by patking13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:31 am

This is fantastic!! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to work. I did the TIE Fighter conversion for XWA and did the most recent version of the DSUCP, so when I try to run the Super Backdrop exe it says that it's already installed, but then when I get in-game it just looks like this:

https://i.imgur.com/tkav6H3.jpg

Also another thing I've noticed (though not specifically related to this) is explosions are sometimes cut off, like the texture is too big for the surface so it happens in an awkward square shape. Any suggestions?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:09 am

Firstly the TIE Fighter conversion is NOT supported by either the DSUCP or the XWAUCP

Secondly the DSUCPv2.4 and the XWAUCPv1.4 both already have an UPDATED version of the Superbackdrop included with there installation packages, one reason you can not install the outdated individual Superbackdrop.exe.

Thirdly once you've installed the TIE Fighter conversion your overwriting files that have been updated and changed, probably why the explosions are appearing in small boxes, and making your version of XWA likely to crash.

From my understanding the TIE Fighter conversion HAS NOT been updated and is still based on the v2.3 version of the DSUCP

If you want to play the TIE Fighter conversion I suggest you contact the person who put it together and ask them to update it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

patking13
Recruit

Post by patking13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation.

Cpt. Spaulding
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Cpt. Spaulding » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi, i'm searching for a "city planet"-style planet as a backdrop, for example to create missions over Coruscant (as in Ep. III). I know there is the Episode II shipset from Genral Trageton, in which a raw textured version of this backdrop is included, but I don't want to overwrite my actual XWA-status (with DSUCP 2.5) with this...
But I saw in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1NppyzFT0 about reshading a very detailed version of this kind of backdrop. Is this kind included in the Super Backdrop patch or is it a separate one? Is there a way to add single and specific backdrops, maybe as an opt or something?

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:17 am

Yes, it is included in DSUCP and XWAUCP.. Backdrop number 10 in the Allied mission editor. Get a look at page 3 of this topic to have a preview and choose your backdrop ;)

Cpt. Spaulding
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Cpt. Spaulding » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Yes, that is the right one! Perfect! Thank you. :)

DTM

Post by DTM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:13 pm

The new version of the Super Backdrops Patch is in WIP. It will add more variety to the scenarios, introducing new stellar fields. In this way, the different regions of the galaxy that are visited in the Tour of Duty of XWA will be characterized by a different color of space. Continuing in the campaign, it will be more evident when you leave a region of the galaxy to enter a new combat area.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:50 pm

Holy moly DTM, this is gorgeous.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 pm

Nice

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Wow those look sweet :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Is there some sort of new infographic for allied so I know what changed as far as the backdrops in the latest DSUCP 2.6?
Image Image Image Image Image

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 am

A guide to the new backdrop colors would be very helpful indeed.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 am

One thing to note is that there are multiple planet.dat files currently, though more can be supported.

Planet.dat
Planet2.dat

Each mission now has an ini file that calls the alternate .dat file. Theoretically you can have unlimited custom .dats to utilize in any number of scenarios.

Code: Select all

;1b0m1fw.ini

[Resdata]
Resdata\Planet2.dat
I believe (haven't looked into it myself yet) that the "default upgraded" planet.dat file list is unchanged, and that planet2.dat is the one containing the modifications. I admittedly haven't looked into the documentation regarding the planet.dat hook.

DTM

Post by DTM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:28 am

Planet.dat file list is unchanged. Follows the list of the new starfield Backdrops and Low-Orbit backdrops in planet.dat file and planet2.dat file:
PLANET_Legenda1.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda1.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda2.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda3.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda4.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda5.jpg
PLANET2_Legenda6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image links

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Ok, I feel a little dumb, but I have not understood how select a specific SuperBackDrop, in Allied. I have created the .ini file for my mission. Copied the library flight group, and have the base SBD. But how can I explore the others?

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 pm

wow. those L-O images look awesome,
would be nice to have different galaxy positions though instead of re-colours for 4 5 and 6. (unless you went full nebula)

Trev

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:57 pm

How do you actually place these objects in the editor in order for them to show up right?

EDIT: For the low orbit placed objects use 1 in 4 quadrants on all 4 sides at 1.055 size and 1 directly below at 0.895?

Random Question. Has anyone experimented with getting the game to read more advanced image files? Like .png or something that handles transparency?
Image Image Image Image Image

DTM

Post by DTM » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Tutorial: how to use SuperBackdrops for a new XWA mission, using AlliED

In this tutorial I learn to use the new Super Bacdrops with AlliED. You need to have XWAUCP or DSUCP installed.

This tutorial does not teach you how to use AlliED, but explains how to change the starfield of your missions. It is assumed that you already know how to create your own missions using AlliED. If this is not the case, please consult the documentation you find with the AlliED program first.

1. First, let's create a new mission.
T_SP_1_001.jpg
As an example, we created a simple scenario with two spaceships and a traditional backdrop, such as a star.
T_SP_1_002.jpg
The scenario could be more complex, with dozens of spaceships, dozens of backdrops and more regions of play. The steps that follow will not change.
Now let's learn how to include in our mission the new "Skirmish" Starfield, that is the image to follow:
T_SP_1_003.jpg
Before starting some basic concepts: what is a Backdrop image? It is an image projected as a backdrop for your scenario. You must think of your scenario as a sphere in which you are. Images are projected to infinity on the sphere. By experimenting with the size of the images, it was possible to accurately link multiple Backdrops images, so that they formed a single background image, covering the whole sphere.

2. Now, to insert the background images that replace the game's starfield, open the FG Library and load the "NewStarfield_2.0.fgp" file, located in the game's “Missions” folder.
T_SP_1_004.jpg
The "Flight Group Library" window will open, with six backdrops loaded. Select them all and insert them in your mission, using the "Add Library selections to Mission" button.
T_SP_1_005.jpg
3. Now the six backdrops have been added at the bottom of your Flight Groups list.
T_SP_1_006.jpg
The first two new backdrops make up the upper dome and the lower dome of an imaginary sphere, inside which we find ourselves when we play XWA.
Their size is shown in the Flight Group window, and must be for both 0.895.
Their coordinates are: X=0.00, Y=0.00, Z=1.00 and X=0.00, Y=0.00, Z=-1.00
T_SP_1_007.jpg
The other four Backdrops are equal to each other and constitute the horizon of our scenario. Their size must be 1.055.
Their coordinates are: X=1.00, Y=0.00, Z=0.00 and X=0.00, Y=1.00, Z=0.00 and X=-1.00, Y=0.00, Z=0.00 and X=0.00, Y=-1.00, Z=0.00
T_SP_1_008.jpg
4. To make sure that the star of our mission is visible and not behind our new Starfield, we must place it at the bottom of the Flight Group list, or better, after Backdrops that make up our Starfield. To do this, select the star and use the "Move Selections down" button.
T_SP_1_009.jpg

Congratulations, you have now correctly entered the new "Skirmish" Starfield. Play your mission and check that everything is going well. If you have multiple regions, repeat steps 2 to 4 in all your regions.
T_SP_1_010.jpg

5. Now we want to modify the Starfield, and use the new Super Backdrops. For example, we want to use the green Nebula background.
T_SP_1_011.jpg

As written in the catalog, this image is saved in the "planet2.dat" file, at the ID 6079-4. For AlliED users, it is important to know that the corresponding number is 40-4.
The upper dome and the lower dome do not change, so we can not change the first two Backdrops that make up the Starfield.
Instead, we select the other four Backdrops, the ones that create the horizon, and click the "Choose Backdrop" button.
T_SP_1_012.jpg

The list of Backdrops opens, with which we can change the number of our Backdrops: we select the number 40, then the option number 4 of shadow. Now you should understand what the number 40-4 means: Backdrop number 40, shadow 4.
T_SP_1_013.jpg

6. Repeat the same procedure in all regions of yur mission, perhaps choosing different backgrounds. Use the catalog to find out the number and shadow associated with the background you have chosen.
As default, the Backdrops that make up the new starfield do not emit light, so it is not necessary to choose a color. But you might decide to use Starfield Backdrops as unique background images; in this case it will be better to modify the "Bright" factor of the Backdrops and choose the color of the light. Remember, you can decide the color in the list of Backdrops, and that the name of the Backdrop equals the RGB value of their light.

7. As written, the images of the new Sperbackdrops are saved in the "planet2.dat" file. In the absence of specific indications, the game will always load the default "planet.dat" file, so the new Backdrops will not be visible.
To edit the game correctly, you need to create *.ini file with the same name as your mission and save it in the "Missions" folder of the game, next to your *.tie mission file. The *.ini file must be written as follows, to program the game to load the "planet2.dat" file.
T_SP_1_014.jpg

Now you have created your mission with the SuperBackdrops you have chosen in the catalog. Play and check that everything is working properly.

8. Now let's talk about the Backdrops that make up the low orbit scenario. They are the same as those that make up the Starfield, but also we have to modify the lower dome.
T_SP_1_015.jpg

For example, we choose scenario number 50-1 from the catalog. This is the number of Backdrops and shadows that we need to use for the horizon. From the catalog, we also see that the lower dome must have number 50-2.
Well, then after modifying the horizon Backdrops as explained in point 5, we select the backdrop of the lower dome, the one with coordinates X=0.00, Y=0.00, Z=-1.00.
Replace it with Backdrop number 50, shadow 2. No change to the size.

This is what you need to know to use the new Superbackdrops for your missions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Fri May 07, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed image links

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks <3

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Following the first tutorial, let's see how to add one of the new starfields in an existing and fully functional mission, created before the advent of Superbackdrops.

Do you have any old missions, which you are fond of, but without the new Starfield Backdrop system? Do you want to add the new Starfields to make it more modern? Very well, let's see how to do it correctly.

If in the old mission the traditional backdrops (planets, stars, etc.) are positioned at the bottom of the FG list, no problem: it will be enough to invert the positions of the old backdrops with those of Superbackdrops starfield, to place the images of the planets in front of the starfield. As seen in the previous tutorial.

But how to do if the old backdrops are in the middle of the list? You can't just take the old backdrops to the bottom of the list, because changing the order of the list compromises the functionality of your mission!

Here's how to proceed correctly:

1. As seen in the previous tutorial, add the new Starfield Superbackdrops to the bottom of the FG list

2. One at a time, copy the old Backdrops, using the Copy and Paste command. A copy of the old backdrops is created at the bottom of the list, following the new Superbackdrops. The copy of the old backdrops will be visible in game..
Don't delete old backdrops! Their presence in their original place in the FG list means that the functions of the mission are not altered.

3. The "Bright" value of the copy of the old backdrops must be changed to 0, to avoid that the intensity of the light in the mission is twice the original one.

4. Choose your favorite starfield, as seen in the previous tutorial.

Congratulation! You added a new starfield with Superbackdrops to an old mission, without altering its programming.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Let me be a bit Nerd,
thinking about it the Super Back Drop is most necessary, because it shows the open space vista as it should be inside any galaxy, with the horizon mostly occupied by galactic plane. The classical star view, it is most correct for some kind of intergalactic point of view, far from every galaxy. When you place a location in a star cluster next a galaxy, you should depict a sky full for one side with a huge galaxy, showing proper inclination of the system referring to that. It would be great if we have backdrop for Deep Core (showing the brilliant core of the galaxy), Outer Core (showing stars packed tightly around the core), and some Rim variant, with progressive fading density of stars.I am trying to depict skyes as per tipical locations (Yavin IV, Coruscant with is extensive moons system, and so on). When done I would gladly pass the Allied Libraries to others ^^.
One last good one to have it could be that of Death Star I backdrop, to fight over it. And perhaps some urban scenery.

DTM

Post by DTM » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:30 pm

It's time for a small update:

Super Backdrops Patch version 2.1

What is it about? It is an update that improves all the backdrops, taking advantage of the JeremyaFr Hooks, which allow the use of 32-bit transparent images.
A big thank you goes to Darksaber and ual002, who very patiently used the original high definition images to create these new .dat files. No changes to missions, no new unpublished images, only a huge leap in quality!

A big thank you also to Korekwerner, who created most of the new great explosion effects, and Darksaber removed the black background and color corrected them.

I recommend to install this patch in a version of the game that already has the XWAUP or DSUCP working. Installing the XWAUP or DSUCP after applying this patch will delate the high quality images. So be careful how you move!

The "SBPReadme.rtf" file will be created in the "backup" folder with all the catalogs and indications necessary to use the new backgrounds for your edited personal missions.
Enjoy!

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:03 pm

DTM wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:30 pm
It's time for a small update:

Super Backdrops Patch version 2.1

What is it about? It is an update that improves all the backdrops, taking advantage of the JeremyaFr Hooks, which allow the use of 32-bit transparent images.
A big thank you goes to Darksaber and ual002, who very patiently used the original high definition images to create these new .dat files. No changes to missions, no new unpublished images, only a huge leap in quality!

A big thank you also to Korekwerner, who created most of the new great explosion effects, and Darksaber removed the black background and color corrected them.

I recommend to install this patch in a version of the game that already has the XWAUP or DSUCP working. Installing the XWAUP or DSUCP after applying this patch will delate the high quality images. So be careful how you move!

The "SBPReadme.rtf" file will be created in the "backup" folder with all the catalogs and indications necessary to use the new backgrounds for your edited personal missions.
Enjoy!
Yes! Very good DTM you are the Best!
I didn’t think already

It is a nice Day, very happy to see all the news in the community !

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:36 pm

Yes! Thank you guys so much for this. What a time to be an XWA fan.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Nice :thumbs: