XWAUCP 1.6 has been released

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUCP 1.6 has been released

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:13 am

It seems like this small community is alive! I like the way everyone would want to contribute to upgrade this old game. I would like to give a big thank you to the man who wants only the best for this game. The real director of the XWAUP team: Darksaber. He had the patient to study and to contribute to all smal projects of the different authors of XWAUP team. He has put togheter only the best new features. Obviously to do this work he had to make some important choises. Maybe not everyone agrees with these choises, but they have made wisely. Thank you to Darksaber, who had the patient to listen the authors' request during the test phase, and now he has the patient to read all the feed-back from the comunity!

Another big thank you to JeremyaFr, who had the patient to develope all the new Hooks, that made possible every new features of this release. In these months he also created OPTech version 2, silently developed in the XWAUP private forum with the XWAUP OPT authors, for the OPT authors. Starting from an old editor, he was able to develope the best OPT editor ever created. Many of the new upgrade have been edited using the new features of OPTech. This new OPT editor will be aviable soon for download.

Thank you guys!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 am

And with Jeremy's editor (XWAOptEditor) you can easily convert textures of all .opt models into true 32-bit color in a quick batch mode process, but you won't be able to see anything different from the existing models. I"m not sure if engine glows etc. are lost. But importing new future models in native HD 32-bit color will work and you'll see a sharper difference. Right now all models are still in standard indexed color format, for compatibility and file size sake.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 pm

@DTM, ?? director of the team lol a little over the top lol

"patient" Are you really talking about me? :D

We couldn't have done a lot of stuff without you either, a lot of the landing gear rotation that you have done is a bit above my pay grade (so to speak) so a big thank you to you too for all of your hard work :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 pm

A big thank you to you both and also all the other contributors.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Well done everyone. Much excite. Hope one day to see the U-wing in the pack too.
Image Image Image Image Image

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Thank you all. Great work.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:13 am

Was the option to install the Z-95-AF4 Headhunter (Decoy's Z-95 Headhunter) removed from the installer of the craft pack?
DTM's Z-95 Headhunter is actually the default Z-95, whereas the Tech Library lists it as the Z-95-AF4 Headhunter.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 pm

1. Yes it was removed as the opt and textures where outdated (It is mention in the readme file and on the XWAUP News page and on my website, I suggest you read any of them!).
- Decoy's Z-95 HeadHunter has been removed from the Installer, sorry but it was a little outdated.
2. If I have the name wrong you can simply edit the Specdesc.txt file to change the wording to what ever you want.

There are many variant of the Z-95, could you honestly prove to me why DTM's variant shouldn't be called the AF4 or not?

You have this Z-95 which supposed to be the Canon version which resembles DTM's version https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Z-95_Headhunter but no where on the page does it mention what this variant is called.

Then you have this Z-95 the Legend version which resembles Decoys version https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Z-95_H ... er/Legends again it doesn't mention which variant it is.

Then you have the so called Z-95-AF4 Headhunter https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Z-95-A ... tarfighter, yes it does resemble Decoy's version, but it also mentions at the top of the page
Parts of this article have been identified as no longer being up to date.
Again could you honestly say that this is the definable version of the Z-95-AF4 Headhunter or not???

Like I said there are many variants of the Z-95
Z-95C4d
Z-95ER
Z-95 I3
Z-95ML
Z-95 Mark I
Z-95 Mark II
Z-95t
Z-95XT
Clone Z-95 starfighter
Heavy-95
X-Drone

AF-series
Z-95 AF-3
Z-95-AF4

Most of those links don't show an image of what these variant looks like of give any sort of description. So next time I update the craft packs I'll put all these names in a hat, the first I pull out will be the name of this craft, OK?
Or
We could have a Poll to decide what it should be called
Or
You could simply do as I suggested above and edit the Specdesc.txt file !!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 pm

They all look the same to me from about 100 meters out through my gun-sight. ;)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Exactly, so what's in a name :D
- John Lydgate

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Today I learned there are about a dozen variants of the Z-95.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:37 pm

Pretty sure the Z-95 in X-Wing games is intended as a "catch-all" generic version. Like an "A to Z"-95. :P

Looking at the data available, the Z-95t seems like the best fit, mainly because of the hyperdrive. This is a Rebel-exclusive model, though, so doesn't account for other factions using it.

Funnily enough, it's said that Tallon's modification to the Z-95 for the "t" inspired Incom to produce their own hyperspace-capable variant, but... Tallon doesn't join the Rebels until 0 BBY, and there aren't any more beyond his refit, aside from the one with S-Foils, which is meant to be a custom modification.

What a mess. :geek:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't mean to be overly crass though, I know some people are attached to their favorite ships. Don't get me started on the Variations of the TIE Advanced and Avenger. I will use knife hands, and I will get aggressive, lol.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:37 pm

I did have plans to make the octagonal cockpit version, if that's the one your referring to, but never got around to it, sorry. One day, no promises :(
- John Lydgate

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Guys, if you will ever come to Rome, Italy, count on me for some paid beer run ^^. You did a most impressive job, thank you!
ual002 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:22 pm
I don't mean to be overly crass though, I know some people are attached to their favorite ships. Don't get me started on the Variations of the TIE Advanced and Avenger. I will use knife hands, and I will get aggressive, lol.
I have bought both models for X-Wing Miniatures on Shapeways and love both. I will ever be fond of the flavour like "secret weapons of the Luftwaffe" that give us so many variants for every design - this give the actual view of how big the Empire was and how hard was on weapon development. I have worked in R&D and believe me, it's quite usual that prototypes and first rounds of productions differ a lot between them.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Darksaber wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:37 pm
I did have plans to make the octagonal cockpit version, if that's the one your referring to, but never got around to it, sorry. One day, no promises :(
That's the version I have 3D printed in the scale of the old action fleet models. Its basically a lower detail version of the one made by fractalsponge. I do have to admit though that my favorite is the squishy cockpit like we have. Looks meaner, like the true predecessor to Kylo's TIE.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:41 am

Finally got a chance to play this. Very nice! The first mission I played with the new pack was battle 5 mission 1: Z-95s vs. Toscan fighters, and the new laser colors were a welcome surprise, along with the Liberty's through-hangar and the super backdrops 2.0. The ABOP is cool, although I think there are some mismatches in the ini files' s-foil speed settings. For example, the X-Wing's forward landing pad finishes deploying well before its strut (and it's always had some issues with the upper and lower wings taking different amounts of time to rotate). But overall, superb job. Keep up the good work!
Last edited by keiranhalcyon7 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 am

:shock: :? :kopfwand: :? :shock: :irre:
- John Lydgate

fonok79
Cadet 4th Class

Post by fonok79 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 am

XWAUCP 1.6 it was fantastic. You will realize the dream of many fans.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am

Darksaber wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 am
:shock: :? :kopfwand: :? :shock: :irre:
Yeah, as Darksaber replies go, that's about par for the course. :roll:

Here's the project xwing.ini code, annotated by me:

Code: Select all

[SFoils]
;mesh index, angle, opening speed, closing speed
1,   8, 1, 1 ; top right wing
2,  12, 1, 1 ; bottom right wing
3,  12, 1, 1 ; bottom left wing
4,   8, 1, 1 ; top left wing
10,  8, 1, 1 ; top right gun
11, 12, 1, 1 ; bottom right gun
12, 12, 1, 1 ; bottom left gun
13,  8, 1, 1 ; top left gun
14,  8, 1, 1 ; top right engine
15, 12, 1, 1 ; bottom right engine
16, 12, 1, 1 ; bottom left engine 
17,  8, 1, 1 ; top left engine
35, 64, 2, 1 ; forward landing gear right panel
36, 64, 2, 1 ; forward landing gear left panel
37, 50, 2, 2 ; forward landing gear strut
38, 12, 1, 1 ; forward landing gear pad
39, 12, 1, 1 ; right landing gear
40, 12, 1, 1 ; left landing gear
Note that the pad rotates through 12 degrees at a rate of 1, while the strut rotates through 50 degrees at a rate of 2, taking over twice as long to complete its cycle. I've modified the following lines:

35, 64, 20, 2 ; forward landing gear right panel
36, 64, 20, 2 ; forward landing gear left panel
37, 50, 4,  4 ; forward landing gear strut
The strut and the pad cycle times are now much closer (though not perfect; support for fractional rates in the s-foils hook would help, though I haven't looked at the code so I don't know if that's possible), and I've tweaked the panel open time to get the panels out of the pad's way much more quickly, and close time to mitigate the long s-foil open time as much as possible without egregiously clipping the pad. (A way to introduce a delay to the start of rotation would help here, but again, I haven't checked the code (yet), and don't know if it's possible.)

The Y-Wing has some artifacts as well (left/right asymmetry); I haven't checked the other craft yet.

I do wonder, though - would it be possible to modify the s-foils hook to add an additional field to identify a mesh as a landing gear, and only rotate it in the hangar? It seems a bit silly to me to force landing gear to extend when closing the s-foils, and also to give non-s-foil craft in-flight "s-foils" which are just landing gear.

Incidentally, I've also tweaked the Lambda shuttle wing rotation from 96 to 110 to more closely match RotJ, which had bugged me for a while. Thankfully the wings aren't actually literally coupled to the landing gear as on some toys I've seen. :-)
Last edited by keiranhalcyon7 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:40 am

Personally I would have gone for

35, 64, 20, 3 ; forward landing gear right panel
36, 64, 20, 3 ; forward landing gear left panel
37, 50, 4,  8 ; forward landing gear strut
38, 12, 1, 2 ; forward landing gear pad
It's faster on closing
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am
Incidentally, I've also tweaked the Lambda shuttle wing rotation from 96 to 110 to more closely match RotJ, which had bugged me for a while. Thankfully the wings aren't actually literally coupled to the landing gear as on some toys I've seen. :-)
I tried that when the S-Foils Hook first came out, but the shuttle that takes off, sort of reset it's self and used it's original rotation, so I left it at 96, since then the s-foil hook has been updated and improved, I'j just tried it at 110 and it work just fine, so 110 it will be :)
- John Lydgate

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:50 am

just a thing: remember that Darth Vader Lambda Shuttle, is a custom not the standard version, and has some peculiarity (the range of opening and closing s-foils, the weapon mounts, internal configuration) over the standard version. Technically is not part of Imperial Navy, and is crewed by pilots chosen from the personal retinue of the Dark Lord, and his wingmen, the Black Squadron.

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:16 pm

This is amazing :shock:

Wotan Weave
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Wotan Weave » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:52 pm

Finally had a few minutes to install this last night. It looks great. Nice work.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat May 11, 2019 1:52 am

What on earth is all this Wizardry?

Also - where are my disks and Joystick?

Clearly, I need to come out of retirement.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.