XWAUP: Crew Quarters Upgrade v1.1

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

XWAUP: Crew Quarters Upgrade v1.1

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 02, 2020 5:33 pm

The XWAUP: Crew Quarters Upgrade is designed to replace some of the Souvenirs or Medals that you collect in your unique Crew Quarters (Family Room) throughout the game.
Some of them are starting to look a little dated so I thought it would be fun to update them with new images. Several are based off other areas of the Star Wars universe.
I’ve also rewritten the descriptions of the Souvenirs to elaborate them or to better match the new upgrade.

New room.jpg

A big thank you to Trevor for all his help and advice in lighting and aligning the smaller images to match the room.

The new room images come in their own custom DAT file, so if you don't like any of the changes you can easily restore the original files from the Backup folder.
If you like some but not all changes then you can restore the XWA CBM files from the Backup folder and then use XwaDatEditor. You can edit the new DAT file to remove any of the changes and once saved the original TG XWA look will be restored but leaving the new XWAU choices you want too. :)

You can see from the image some of the areas of what's changed. Without elaborating more I would rather people take a look in game and experience everything fully first :)
It's been a constant project for me of late and come together quite fast. I hope you will all enjoy it :)

EDIT. Version 1.1 is now released with some small changes. See later post for details.
Picture above is the updated v1.1 version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 pm

This is great. I had a good laugh at the propaganda poster, and I also really like the new Lady Blue picture, feel even more sad for Ace that he never got that date :D

Superb job, Ace.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 pm

Jaeven wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:42 pm
This is great. I had a good laugh at the propaganda poster, and I also really like the new Lady Blue picture, feel even more sad for Ace that he never got that date :D

Superb job, Ace.
Thanks a lot. A few small changes to the description and that great pic and I think it enhances the immersion a lot.
I'm particular happy with that one and the cologne bottle. Removing the words Space Pirates helps a lot too ;)
For people that may miss it the Ceiling Fan has been replaced with a pic of the actual XWAUP opt now. Not an essential change but why not.
Did you recognise the Swords? A subtle touch that gave me a job to find before I settled on that.

If anyone has suggestions for future Upgrades feel free to offer. I looked at changing the Liquid Galaxies and the Black Sun debris but I didn't find anything I could make work.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon May 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Good work :2thumbs:

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon May 04, 2020 7:44 pm

Great work Ace! This brings back sweet memories when I was actually good at this game :D
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Awesome work... Ace. I took a look at the additional items added good job!!! ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Tue May 05, 2020 12:43 am

Great job!
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 am

Great job, working on these bits that have been so long ignored! Thank you!

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 am

The new lady blue pic is great! I always felt like that was an immersive little bit of side lore that made you feel the stakes were real throughout the campaign.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 am

Thanks very much guys I really appreciate it. :)
Said it already but a really big thank you to Trevor for all his help. Without him I wouldn't have got the smaller looking pics of the swords, jacket, poster or banner looking anywhere near that good. He was the one that put the little touch of the poster coming off the wall at the edge. :)
The Readme file does explain what each change is and where but that's cheating!

I've been away from the XWA modding scene for at least 12 years I think. So a lot has changed and improved and gotten far easier to do also.
Which is great but has taken some relearning lol It's been great to actually have made a fully blown XWAUP release though. :)
There were previous poster edits on my old site so I've done this before. I started messing about and got into it, the whole thing has been put together in under a month I think.
I've been back and forth so many times on things lol Really needed fine tuning to the games limitations. I can make things look great but then it really stands out!

The Jacket is now from a popular Star Wars tv show you may have seen. ;) The original just looked very 80's sci-fi. Now it's part of the canon universe.
I had a whole other jacket variation originally from a different sci-fi show which I may release later.
The Probe Droid has had about 4 different variations! There's a lot of possible options that can be used. I did use a Hasbro toy one at first.
The Poster was a lucky find as it matched well. I have a different poster option made and there's a lot of choices. I changed text from Red Group to Red Squadron.
The Swords were damn hard as most things are Lightsabers. So I found a sword from another SW game.
The Ceiling Fan is based off an in game mission so I used the opt and made an image of that to match the XWAUP design. I didn't change the small pic as it would look worse.
Lady Blue - Well duh now it makes more sense! Plus I highlighted more that it was her call sign and not name.
The Tauntaun cologne is a real logo from online! Someone has made merchandise from it lol So now the bottle is branded and I added some extra story.
The Banner was based of a real fan made flag. I mean Space Pirates skull isn't very imaginative. Now Azzameen has to keep an eye out for Mandos!

I altered little bits of text here and there, some are subtle and you may not have noticed. Like the TIE Debris, so he didn't look so gung ho about killing.
I'm thinking of releasing in the future other sets if I have time. Looking at maybe tweaking the Emails. I would love to have a full Rebel pilot conversion one day.
Right now there's other projects involving the images I'm working on. If anyone has suggestions for future Room Upgrades feel free to offer. :)

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 am

Nice job. It all looks very well integrated in image preview above; now I need to install it and take a look at the close-ups!

If you're looking for suggestions - have you done anything with that helmet? I've never thought it looked that great, particularly the pilot rating swoosh (purple, in your image) just kinda haphazardly pasted on the image there, and the kill decals (at least, that's what I think they are) don't match the lighting of the rest of the helmet.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 3:11 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 am
Nice job. It all looks very well integrated in image preview above; now I need to install it and take a look at the close-ups!

If you're looking for suggestions - have you done anything with that helmet? I've never thought it looked that great, particularly the pilot rating swoosh (purple, in your image) just kinda haphazardly pasted on the image there, and the kill decals (at least, that's what I think they are) don't match the lighting of the rest of the helmet.
No that's a lot more major and all the kill marks are inputted at various stages somehow. The helmet and MK can be replaced though as it's been done by Imperial updates.
My issues are more limited to my not very brilliant drawing skills and lighting expertise. So I need to keep it simple lol But I learned a lot doing this

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm

If anyone wants the model used, its here

Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Trevor wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:03 pm
If anyone wants the model used, its here
Trev
Amazing! I'm sure that could come in handy for anyone building stuff. I know you spent a lot of work building it. Thanks so much :)
keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:04 am
You've put ideas in my head now damnit ;)

JustCallMePaige
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JustCallMePaige » Tue May 05, 2020 5:13 pm

I've downloaded it, but it stops installing for some reason & I can't run it :/

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 05, 2020 5:18 pm

JustCallMePaige wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:13 pm
I haven't had any issues with it so far. Delete your download and download it again to make sure it's ok. It should be 1.34 MB in size.
Restart your computer and try again please. Also if it doesn't work say where it installs up to then crashes. Thanks

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri May 08, 2020 7:45 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 am

I'm thinking of releasing in the future other sets if I have time. Looking at maybe tweaking the Emails. I would love to have a full Rebel pilot conversion one day.
Right now there's other projects involving the images I'm working on. If anyone has suggestions for future Room Upgrades feel free to offer.
Here is my suggestion: I've watched this video (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA1-u5YhFNs ) and I've compared the uniform with the one coming from X-Wing.
X-Wing Medals and Awards on the Uniform.jpg
In X-Wing Alliance medals are not placed on the uniform and this is OK, but apart from medals and the rank markings, there were also 18 rectangular awards in X-Wing.
A "restoration" of them would be greatly welcome. An idea might be that they would be earned when you get a certain number of kills.

And the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing badges could be earned when you scored 10000 points with the relative fighter, whereas points scored with other crafts do not count.
I do not know if such a thing is possible (hook required ?).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Fri May 08, 2020 8:05 am

Nice idea, Phoenix. The only thing I would argue is that if a specific craft type score requirement is viable to get the craft badge, I would definitely lower it to 5000 points.
10000 would be too high because there are only 4 missions in X-Wing Alliance campaign where the Y-Wing is your default craft.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 08, 2020 1:18 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:45 am
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 am

Right now there's other projects involving the images I'm working on. If anyone has suggestions for future Room Upgrades feel free to offer.
Here is my suggestion: I've watched this video (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA1-u5YhFNs ) and I've compared the uniform with the one coming from X-Wing.
X-Wing Medals and Awards on the Uniform.jpg

In X-Wing Alliance medals are not placed on the uniform and this is OK, but apart from medals and the rank markings, there were also 18 rectangular awards in X-Wing.
A "restoration" of them would be greatly welcome. An idea might be that they would be earned when you get a certain number of kills.

And the X-Wing, Y-Wing and A-Wing badges could be earned when you scored 10000 points with the relative fighter, whereas points scored with other crafts do not count.
I do not know if such a thing is possible (hook required ?).
I've actually posted something in the editing forum that's kinda related. So any help tracking info for that is great. Check here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12477

The uniform idea may not be totally doable like X-wing but given me some ideas to tackle stuff and it's a great idea to work with!

JustCallMePaige
Cadet 4th Class

Post by JustCallMePaige » Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:18 pm
JustCallMePaige wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:13 pm
I haven't had any issues with it so far. Delete your download and download it again to make sure it's ok. It should be 1.34 MB in size.
Restart your computer and try again please. Also if it doesn't work say where it installs up to then crashes. Thanks
It worked by just deleting it, re-downloading it and re-installing it. Thanks!

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:12 pm

Not too nitpick, but i'll admit that the new jar'kai swords are annoying me...I preferred the original one rather than the ff7 buster sword expies you did
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:12 pm
Not too nitpick, but i'll admit that the new jar'kai swords are annoying me...I preferred the original one rather than the ff7 buster sword expies you did
You can't nitpick as it's not broken just a choice lol That's why it says in the readme you can easily go back to whatever you prefer. I can't please everyone :P
What's annoying you exactly? ;) That's a particular choice of words lol I think you are the first person that has mentioned they recognised where they are from.
Now I am not a Final Fantasy follower but finding a decent sword image I could use without being a lightsaber was really hard. Most looked too earthly or too sci-fi. I ended up on this one as a bit of fun for fans that may recognise it and it looked kinda cool.

The original swords weren't exactly a work of art lol I did think about using a Dark Saber from Clone Wars at one point.
I'm totally open to changes or other various single versions in the future though :) If you can find me some sword images that would look good or even based in the SW universe then I will consider them.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 5:26 pm

Don't worry, the rest of the mod is fine, it's just that one that really look out of universe...I wonder if inspiration could be taken from KOTOR, since there is lots of swords and vibroblades in that game

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat May 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:26 pm
Don't worry, the rest of the mod is fine, it's just that one that really look out of universe...I wonder if inspiration could be taken from KOTOR, since there is lots of swords and vibroblades in that game
Well it is. Could have been worse, my first plan was a Colonial Viper Battlestar Galactica jacket ;) I'll still release it sometime.

True it stupidly never occurred to me to check the KOTOR series until afterwards. SWTOR is a mountain of good ideas. Sadly I don't have the time or knowledge where to look right now.
So I leave that investigation down to you but would really like to see options. Find a good one you like and maybe I will do you a custom fix in advance ;)

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Here a vibrosword from the Clone Wars cartoon :
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0903032947

Sword from Star Wars galaxies (might need to change the logos on it thought :p)
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0209034627

Vibrosword from KOTOR : https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 1123191034