All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUP: Crew Quarters Upgrade

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon May 11, 2020 4:42 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:50 pm
Here's a question for people.
How attached are you to the original XWA Family room and all the stuff that comes with it?

For example all I did was "enhance" what was there already. I replaced things that looked dated like the swords, flag and jacket. I updated the the poster, probe droid, cologne, fan and blue pic.
Everything in the room can be changed in theory with work but would that be going too far for some of you? Would you miss some of the memories that XWA brought from the original storyline. Or would you prefer 2 options?

1 - An edited Family room as I have released with "enhanced" rewards and medals.
2 - A totally new room with "everything" changed. Then as you replay the game you can experience the new rewards. Or so you can just imagine as a Rebel Pilot you have had to redecorate and look at new items instead.

It would be great to have new rooms anyway as options. But I don't want to replace other stuff in the future if the majority say "ah I really miss that odd looking Key to the station" ;)
I would be interested to know as it's great feedback :)
(Remember you will hurt my feelings ;))
My personal view is that in a total conversion, you could replace the room with anything. But for it to fit XWAU standards, the room and items still need to more or less match the original, just at a higher quality.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 11, 2020 7:46 am

@Tony Knightcrawler
@Ace Antilles
I fully agree with Tony. You have to remember that this is not a new story (new game), but a new graphic design of the old game and the old story.
Your work Ace is great for the new story, the continuation of the Azzameen family adventure.

Regards
KW

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Speaking of, I bet Totally Games would be open to talking about their plans for an XWA expansion.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Ok guys. I will replace the Buster Swords with another sword in the future.
I get your points. Just ;) I'll post some pics to get an idea before it's finished.

Also will post options down the line for the left over stuff. So people can choose which sword out of what I have made for example.

Please let me know of any good ideas to replace the other pieces not updated if necessary.
The liquid galaxies and the zairona ale maybe for example. I still would like a better Black Sun debris possibly.
Tony Knightcrawler wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 pm
Speaking of, I bet Totally Games would be open to talking about their plans for an XWA expansion.
Go ask them please ;)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Tue May 12, 2020 1:34 am

Am I wrong or did Totally Games close in 2015?

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Tue May 12, 2020 1:45 am

No, they closed. But the people still exist. A bit sad their Starfighter Inc never got funded; I threw some money toward it, but I don't know if it would have been my cup of tea.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:35 am

Wait, what? According to its Kickstarter page, Starfighter Inc. is by a company called Impeller Studios (not TG, although I do recognize the name David Wessman who is posting the updates), exceeded its target of $150k by $20k, and was renamed "In The Black" about a year ago. Their latest update was posted last month. Doesn't sound like a dead project to me...

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 am

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Tue May 12, 2020 1:00 pm

You know, It should be Gold Five instead of Red Six in that meme
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Question for all. Email. Do you even get email in Space! Should it be called something else in the areas that allow editing.
Isn't Holonet the Star Wars news service? Is there anything else email like,

Also this. A letter...
NoNewMail-0.png
I know it's standard icon for email but again is there a better image choice? Even a laptop pic or something??
Does everywhere today still use envelopes to describe email or is there something more modern.
It's a really minor part of stuff but it does show age and also not very sci-fi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun May 17, 2020 5:15 pm

hmm, a difficult one.
email is email and using a different name just because can cause confusion.

Holonet to me means (and I havnt checked, Im only saying what it sounds like as of right now) the internet made of holograms where instead of web "pages" you have web "Projections".

You could have holo-mail but just like the floppy disk being the generic symbol of Save, the envelope is the generic symbol of mail (whether electronic or otherwise)

Trev

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Yeah, it just occurred to me as post is getting less and in space there is no postie maybe there's other ways lol
It's the picture I am going to concentrate on first. Not sure if every reference to mail can be changed anyway. Possibly.
Maybe just removing "Check email" and replacing it with "Check Messages" would be a start

A few select notes from the email itself:
It's called Alliance Net. Or Alliance Network. Welcome to Alliance.reb, the largest network service in the galaxy. troubleshoot@alliance.reb.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sun May 17, 2020 9:59 pm

You're way ovethinking this.

Holonet = internet

"Alliance Net" = ISP

email = ... email

No, they probably wouldn't call it that in Star Wars. If you read one of the EU books, it would probably just call it a message or go way overboard and call it something like a Hypercomm Text Burst.

But email is easy shorthand and it makes all the references make sense. XWA came out at the height of the dotcom boom and the internet becoming accessible to the average family. Silly little references to email being a novel thing, to IRC, text chat, spam and Y2K are part of what makes XWA... XWA. Art should be allowed to be its own little time capsule. Just like data tapes are used as a storage medium because Star Wars came out in 1977, XWA is Star Wars for the 90s. Any attempt to modernise that just takes some of the originality out of XWA and weakens its identity, IMO.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 am

I believe in the X-Wing book series they might even call them holomessages maybe? I just started reading the series again but no mention of it so far.

The alliance.reb email always bugged me at the start of the game because why would the alliance have the largest "ISP" in the galaxy at that time when clearly the Empire is at it's peak power... maybe I'm just nitpicking

I have been thinking about looking through the email messages in my version of the game and maybe changing a few things up to have them make more sense or just ensure the same name is used all the time (eg. sometimes Aeron will email as Aeron and other times it will be Aeron Azzameen)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 18, 2020 3:45 am

You have some good points. Isn't the XWAU by definition modernising XWA already? Adding effects and other things.
Anything I decide to do or even the XWAUP team isn't going to please everyone.
Hell not everyone in the team can agree as it is lol So you can't win. At the end of the day it's up to the individual if they want to install things or not.

I agree that certain things have a charm to XWA but we've also had 20 years of that charm. How many people actually even click on "email" for example without any new missions taking advantage of it.
Areas like we are discussing now are easily reversed by copying a few files back or text changes anyway.
I wouldn't use the name Holo in any messages anyway. The whole point of me bringing it up was to spitball ideas and see what people thought.
maggee wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 am
I believe in the X-Wing book series they might even call them holomessages maybe? I just started reading the series again but no mention of it so far.

The alliance.reb email always bugged me at the start of the game because why would the alliance have the largest "ISP" in the galaxy at that time when clearly the Empire is at it's peak power... maybe I'm just nitpicking

I have been thinking about looking through the email messages in my version of the game and maybe changing a few things up to have them make more sense or just ensure the same name is used all the time (eg. sometimes Aeron will email as Aeron and other times it will be Aeron Azzameen)
That's a good spot lol. I actually did that to a lot of my e-mails recently too. Not sure if I did Aeron or not.

maggee
Galactic Empire

Post by maggee » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 am

Literally just read the next chapter and it had it, so it was refereed as Holonet messages, so I think either email or messages work fine :)

And you're are correct, if "email" messages are changed it is literally one text document that needs to be reverted if people are unhappy and like you said who still reads them, I click them to get rid of the icon and that's about it :P

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:01 am

maggee wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:31 am
Puffery

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 28, 2020 3:28 am

sw1.png
So guys what are your thoughts on this? Is it a little bit more to your liking?
It's not a finished product. Just whipped it up a little quick.
Everything tends to look a little worse off in game than in screenshots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:49 am

Look good

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu May 28, 2020 5:38 am

Good job!
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 pm

XWAUP: Crew Quarters Upgrade v1.1 is available now!

Ace Azzameen (no relation) has done a little redecorating.

He discovered Olin Garn was playing a prank on him and had reprogrammed Emkay to help!
So he's now replaced the fake Dueling swords with the proper ones that were being hidden by the cheeky pair :D

Ace also obtained a new printer from Fleet Supplies. So he printed out new digital copies of the photographs of Lady Blue and Aeron.
Also he has given the Family Crest a clean and buff to give it a bit of a shine. Plus he hung it straight on the wall this time as it was a little crooked.

New room1.jpg

I hope you guys will like these new sword replacements. I'm much happier with this version.
The Buster ones are gone but may come back as an option later.

This Crew Quarters Upgrade v1.1 is available to download NOW

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:29 pm

That look nice!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm

The new Crew Quarters Upgrade v1.1 is now live on the Download page!

Here's a larger look at the replaced Antan's Swords.

s1.jpg

A big thanks once again to Trevor for his help with the difficult 3D perspective. Cheers mate.
Go take a look and I hope you all enjoy this replacement version. Lemme know :)

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:54 pm

oh nice!

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:05 pm

Good work :2thumbs: