XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: XWAUP: Dynamic Cockpits

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:11 pm
How do you get that Hacker pictured to work? I've not had much success so far to get that program version pictured to run right
Alternatively, you can adjust the FOV using Ctrl+Alt+Right/Left Arrow using my ddraw version while flying. It isn't as precise; but you get instant feedback and it's very easy to tweak. It will affect all resolutions too.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Tue May 05, 2020 8:34 pm

DTM wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:41 pm

These my xwakacker settings:

Thanks.
Thanks for this, DTM!

Same as Angel, I just needed to update the FOV, mine was somewhere around 86 I think.

All works perfectly now and looks the same as your screenshots. By which I mean it looks amazing. Thanks again, it all feels super immersive.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Looks like I'll have to update the resolution settings in XWAUCP and DSUCP when I get around to updating both

This is why the Tie cockpit looked totally wrong before, it's little thing like this that you really need to tell people, I haven't tested the new tie cockpits yet, but if I hadn't changed them you would probaly been getting an earful :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm

Is there any way to make it so the Y-Wing targeting display doesn't glow bright green?

szoreny
Cadet 4th Class

Post by szoreny » Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 pm

How are these so good?!! - Thanks guys!

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm

evilmark wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm
Is there any way to make it so the Y-Wing targeting display doesn't glow bright green?
Open DynamicCockpit\YWingCockpit.dc and find the line that says TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC. Change the last number to 0x0 to make the background black, like so:

uv_coords = TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC, 0,128, 256,0; 0x0

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Wed May 06, 2020 12:46 am

blue_max wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:58 pm
evilmark wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm
Open DynamicCockpit\YWingCockpit.dc and find the line that says TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC. Change the last number to 0x0 to make the background black, like so:

uv_coords = TARGETING_COMPUTER_SRC, 0,128, 256,0; 0x0
Awesome, thank you!

MadMike
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MadMike » Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 am

[/quote]

Downloaded xwahacker-qt.exe from SourceForge, installed into a folder, made a copy of my xwingalliance.exe into this folder, ran program, pointed it at exe, should work. Once done, copy back to your main XWA folder (backup your .exe first of course!).
[/quote]

Just an FYI that XWAHacker is now available as a Win10 app. It says for GoG and original disc versions, but I confirmed it works with Steam version as well. Makes this process extremely easy as you don’t have to do all the copy/paste/edit/copy/replace process. Just install the app, pick the XWA exe file and make your edits, then save.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 06, 2020 2:10 am

MadMike wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 am

Just an FYI that XWAHacker is now available as a Win10 app. It says for GoG and original disc versions, but I confirmed it works with Steam version as well. Makes this process extremely easy as you don’t have to do all the copy/paste/edit/copy/replace process. Just install the app, pick the XWA exe file and make your edits, then save.
I've had that downloaded also. When run though with the XWA exe I get "File has unsupported modifications. Options disabled."
So I can't select the middle options as they are blanked out.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:20 am

AngeI wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:23 pm
Ace Antilles wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 5:11 pm
How do you get that Hacker pictured to work? I've not had much success so far to get that program version pictured to run right
Downloaded xwahacker-qt.exe from SourceForge, installed into a folder, made a copy of my xwingalliance.exe into this folder, ran program, pointed it at exe, should work. Once done, copy back to your main XWA folder (backup your .exe first of course!).
Simplified version that removes the copying-the-exe-around steps:
  1. Copy the installed xwahacker-qt.exe into your XWA folder
  2. Backup game exe
  3. Run xwahacker-qt.exe on your game exe in-place
Future iterations start at 2. or 3., depending on how paranoid you are with the backups.

And yeah, the difference is the FOV, not the resolution.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 pm

Will T wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 am
Also, this isn't really related but it's a very minor thing and doesn't seem worth starting a new thread over, and it's something I noticed while testing the TIE cockpits - what happened to the 'depowered' laser cannon sounds? I know that XWAU has been tweaking things like weapon sounds with the ini files, but previously there were two different sounds possible for the cannons. One stronger sounding laser that you hear when the laser charge bar is on the first, brighter layer and a weaker sounding one when you've drained the guns enough to go to the dimmer, second layer of the bar. Is this something that can be brought back? It's a really handy non-visual clue that you need to look at your weapon charge levels.
I tested vanilla XWA. It doesn't change TIE laser sound. So it's exactly how it's always been. At least in my Steam copy.
The Rebel lasers still perform this way

MadMike
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MadMike » Wed May 06, 2020 6:22 pm

I've had that downloaded also. When run though with the XWA exe I get "File has unsupported modifications. Options disabled."
So I can't select the middle options as they are blanked out.
Strange. Mine works fine.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu May 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Ctrl+Alt+Shift + Right/Left Arrows can also be used to change the FOV in real-time without XWAHacker. It will affect all resolutions, and it's not as precise; but that's another option. If you use this and would like to restore the original FOV, just delete the "FocalLength.cfg" file that will appear in your XWA directory.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 07, 2020 5:38 pm

FYI DTM is now looking into what can be done to fix the problem. So be patient and hopefully it can be fixed easily for all :)
blue_max wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 5:01 pm
Ctrl+Alt+Shift + Right/Left Arrows can also be used to change the FOV in real-time without XWAHacker. It will affect all resolutions, and it's not as precise; but that's another option. If you use this and would like to restore the original FOV, just delete the "FocalLength.cfg" file that will appear in your XWA directory.
That's why I couldn't get it working I missed the Shift off as well. Updated my notes file ;)

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 pm

Well, there really is no problem to fix. More than anything, it is a personal choice. But I would like to clarify a little. Let's start with two definitions:

POV = coordinates of the pilot's Point of View. Every craft with a cockpit has three values (x,y,z) to define its POV. The POV can be set with MxvTed and may be different for every ship.

FOV = Field Of View. This is not a value that can be different for every ship. It's a setting to be used with every craft. It is possible to change your FOV using xwahacker or the Blue Max controls.

The default XWA FOV value is 86.3 with a screen aspect ratio of 4:3. As everyone knows it's possible to introduce a widescreen aspect ratio. In order to have a more cinematic field of view is' also be possible to change the value of the FOV. But it is important not to overdo it, because a value that is too high causes the distortion of the image.

Someone in the past suggested to set the value of the FOV at 97,3: this is the maximum value to use before having annoying distortions. I have been using this value for a long time.
The minimum value to use for the TIE fighters cockpits to be clearly visible is 92,3

So, I suggest using xwahacker to experiment with these values, even with other vehicles. You will find that this modification makes the image much more realistic and suitable for widescreen.

Of course, it would be possible to put these changes in a patch, but it would be preferable for everyone to find their preferred setting. For XWAUCP and DSUCP the FOV 92.3 value may be preferable which is less extreme than the 97.3 value... ?

Haakan
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Haakan » Fri May 08, 2020 12:19 am

DTM wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:41 pm
Will T wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 am
One thing I'm not sure about - are those screenshots above using a different POV or resolution from what's in game? From the screenshots, the reticle looks pretty centred so it looks like you're facing straight ahead, but when I played (at 1920x1080), the CMD on the yoke was mostly off the bottom of the screen and I couldn't really use it.

The resolution game of the following screenshot is 1600x900, FOV 97,3

The resolution game of the following screenshot is 1920x1080, FOV 97,33

These my xwakacker settings:

The installer should have set your POVs as follows:

TIE Fighter, Tie Interceptor, Tie Defender, Tie AdvancedX1, Tie BigGun, Tie Booster, Tie Warheads :
X=0 Z=5 Y=2
Tie Bomber: X=66 Z=5 Y=81
Tie Avenger: X=0 Z=5 Y=84
Tie Bizaro: X=-124 Z=5 Y=2

Please use Mxvted to control your POVs after the installation and report any different value.
Thanks.
Hey,

In fact I did this:

On xwahacker-qt:

FOV=97,3, HUD scale=1,4 @ 1600x1200 resoluition

Fix graphical corruption like disappearing objects

On MXvTED:

Set TIE Fighter, Tie Interceptor, Tie Defender, Tie AdvancedX1, Tie BigGun, Tie Booster, Tie Warheads PoV to:

X=0
Y=7
Y=-2

Set the following PoVs same as you did:

Tie Bomber: X=66 Z=5 Y=81
Tie Avenger: X=0 Z=5 Y=84
Tie Bizarro: X=-124 Z=5 Y=2
Lt. Colonel A. Araujo
Commander, 7th SpecOps Squadron "Alpha"
Battlegroup I
Emperor's Hammer.

CMDR/LC Alejandro Araujo/Alpha/Wing I/ISDII Hammer/BGI

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri May 08, 2020 7:26 am

:popcorn:

Calculating the real FOV values around Reimar's bug, 97.3 => 59.2 vertical, 90.6 horizontal, which is pretty close to the typical value of modern games of 60 degrees vertical.

MadMike
Cadet 4th Class

Post by MadMike » Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 pm

I’d just like to say thanks for these amazing cockpits and for the explanation of how to get them working and looking correctly. Simply fantastic work that is very much appreciated.

Thanks for everything that all of you do to keep this amazing game evolving.

SharpEdge
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SharpEdge » Fri May 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I'm having a problem with only the TIE Fighter Cockpits.

It looks like my seating position is up way to high and all I see is the top half of the window.

If I look down I see that all my HUD elements are far too low.

Other than XWAUP 1.6 and the dynamic cockpits, my game hasn't been modded in any other way.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 pm

We need more information regarding your screen resolution and game aspect ratio. Something's off mine looks nothing like this and I'm not running the "correct" FOV.
Screenshot 2020-05-08 16.34.46.png
Screenshot 2020-05-08 16.35.45.png
Screenshot 2020-05-08 16.38.10.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SharpEdge
Cadet 4th Class

Post by SharpEdge » Sat May 09, 2020 2:29 am

Driftwood wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:48 pm
We need more information regarding your screen resolution and game aspect ratio. Something's off mine looks nothing like this and I'm not running the "correct" FOV.
I'm pretty sure all I'm done is simple 1920x1080 and haven't done anything with the FOV. Been a while since I did anything with XWA

All the Rebel Ship Dynamic cockpits currently display correctly.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:35 am

Driftwood, do I detect a hint of of snark? :-)

SharpEdge, it looks like a bit error in the cockpit POV y-coordinate to me. You could try uninstalling and redownloading/reinstalling the dynamic cockpits pack, or if you're feeling adventurous, get & run MXvTED, browse to the TIE fighter, and post a screenshot of the cockpit tab. That should provide the info needed to tell if there was any error during download or installation for this cockpit.

By the way, is it just the TIE Fighter, or also other craft that are doing this? And, you're not using VR/TrackIR, are you?

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 pm

Funnily enough, I seemed to be having the same issue as SharpEdge.

For example, the POV for the Tie Defender was set at:
X = 0
Z = 45
Y = 2

I manually fixed everything by changing the POV values in MXvTED to the values DTM posted above. Maybe something happened with the dynamic tie cockpits installer?

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat May 09, 2020 4:15 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:35 am
Driftwood, do I detect a hint of of snark? :-)
Nope, objectively I don't recall what my FOV is so it's not likely the 93-97.whatever range that is more ideal (yet). Either way if you look at my screens I would hardly say I'm experiencing what others are by any means.

And yeah I use TrackIR and am used to flight sims and so I'm used to looking around for things not visible in my forward vision so none of these little hiccups bother me and I wouldn't have really ever noticed either.

Actually one question that begs asking is does the head tracking hook work in a multi-player scenario/skirmish? I vaguely recall that in default XWA MP environment the game locked you out of your POV hat controls if I recall correctly.

dhollinger3
Cadet 4th Class

Post by dhollinger3 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:22 pm

Anyone run into any issues with the dynamic cockpits where text isn't showing and sensors are blank?
Screenshot from 2020-05-09 13-19-18.png
XWA Steam
XWAUP 1.6
EffectsByBlueMax latest files from May 07, 2020
RebelDynamicCockpits v2.0

NOTE: This is running via Steam Proton
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.