X-Wing Alliance 2020 Mega Patch available NOW!

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

Re: X-Wing Alliance Mega Patch 2020 available NOW!

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am

Only when I press and hold the 5 Num key it can be fixed, otherwise it rotates, how can I fix it?

joystick and headseat are connected to a USB extension

But I don't think this is the real problem, so far it worked very well without the Configurator for the joystick

https://studio.youtube.com/video/2Ey2S55EhUE/edit

tt33
Galactic Empire

Post by tt33 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 am

Driftwood wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 pm
This is a game limitation (for now/ever?), ships with multiple warhead launchers have only ever been able to select one payload type, the other defaults to concussion missiles.
Related question: Excluding the Missile Boat, is the max amount of warheads still capped at 18?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:14 am

Red_Leader wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:58 pm
Edit: Still haven't figured out the bug with Wedge in the third Endor mission. Not sure if it makes a difference, but all the rebel crafts show as green in the HUD, and Wedge shows as blue.
Found the fault, Has nothing to do with the X-wing! So not sure why it works in other missions and not this one. Endor missions are a pain. Will post when fixed fully.
We expected to find some bugs but this was a random one lol
Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am
Only when I press and hold the 5 Num key it can be fixed, otherwise it rotates, how can I fix it?
But I don't think this is the real problem, so far it worked very well without the Configurator for the joystick
That link doesn't work. I suggest checking your control options in and out of game and maybe configuring the joystick.
tt33 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:59 am
Related question: Excluding the Missile Boat, is the max amount of warheads still capped at 18?
We haven't changed any stats in the game from the previous Craft Pack releases.
The Mega Patch is a compilation of everything to date with new stuff. Not a remake of the powers, stats, missiles etc
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 am

I can't even get it to install. I instantly get the following error:

Code: Select all

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
  at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
  at XwaInstallerLib.XwaSettings.lsXWADirectory(String
directory)
  at
XwaInstallerLib.XwaSettings.ReadDestinationFolderFromCurrentDirectory()
  at XwaInstallerLib.XwaSettings.ReadDestinationFolder()
  at
XwaInstallerLib.WizardWindow.SetDefaultDestinationFolder()
  at XwaInstallerLib.WizardWindow..ctor()
  atXwaInstallerLib.Main.Config()
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 am

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:02 pm
Isn't it actually better the way it is? Even in TIE Fighter, I think you could change only one set of your missile launchers from what the mission defined.
Just did some check up : you are right

Only issue on that one is that the launchers near the cockpit are supposed to be selectable, while the pylon-mouted ones carries advanced concussion missile. But the current model work in reverse (the primary launchers always carries normal missiles, while the pylon-mounted secondary launchers are selectable), so a hook might be necessary to fix it

Also, here my list of issues and comments :
  • Xwing.opt have green stripes instead of red stripes on the main fuselage for flights colors 0 (the exterior opt is fine, only the normal one have the issue). The other X-Wing opts are fine
  • Toscan fighter warhead launcher is set as unknown instead of torpedoes, which create issues (basically, act like theres two sets of launchers that both go to zero after firing a single volley)
  • Toscan laser firing order not going with what we could consider as "canon" (the original TG model worked in X when firing in pair, the new model working using the top-down model, same as the T/I
  • TIE Advanced laser firing order wrong (it's supposed to be using the down-top order when in pair, it's using top-down like the T/I instead)
  • TIE Defender laser firing order wrong (it's supposed to use an X order when firing in pair, it's using top-down)
  • Miss the option for the TIE Bomber to be using a center module for it's laser instead of chin-mounted
  • Missile boat missiles issue (see above)
  • If we are to use the Fanon Xm-1 designation for the Missile Boat, might as well add Nova Wing with it :)
  • Missing the official name of the Assault Gunboat in it's full name, "Star Wing"
Last edited by Rookie_One1 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 am

iteachvader wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 am

directory)
  at
  at
Have you done a fresh install of XWA as advised?
Have you made sure there's no other XWA listings in your Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program.
Do you have Steam etc open? If so close them. Also don't let any Anti Virus programs go wild on it.
Redownload and try again if necessary

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:57 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:52 am
iteachvader wrote:

directory)
  at
  at
Have you done a fresh install of XWA as advised?
Have you made sure there's no other XWA listings in your Control Panel - Programs - Uninstall a Program.
Do you have Steam etc open? If so close them. Also don't let any Anti Virus programs go wild on it.
Redownload and try again if necessary
Did TWO fresh installations of XWA, completely deleted all XWA listings via Revo Uninstaller, closed steam, antivirus disabled, restarted computer. Still the same result both times, even after redownloading the pack.
The ability to create 3D models is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:03 am

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 am
Just did some check up : you are right

Only issue on that one is that the launchers near the cockpit are supposed to be selectable, while the pylon-mouted ones carries advanced concussion missile. But the current model work in reverse (the primary launchers always carries normal missiles, while the pylon-mounted secondary launchers are selectable), so a hook might be necessary to fix it

Also, here my list of issues and comments :
  • Xwing.opt have green stripes instead of red stripes on the main fuselage for flights colors 0 (the exterior opt is fine, only the normal one have the issue). The other X-Wing opts are fine
  • Toscan fighter warhead launcher is set as unknown instead of torpedoes, which create issues (basically, act like theres two sets of launchers that both go to zero after firing a single volley)
  • Toscan laser firing order not going with what we could consider as "canon" (the original TG model worked in X when firing in pair, the new model working using the top-down model, same as the T/I
  • TIE Advanced laser firing order wrong (it's supposed to be using the down-top order when in pair, it's using top-down like the T/I instead)
  • TIE Defender laser firing order wrong (it's supposed to use an X order when firing in pair, it's using top-down)
  • Miss the option for the TIE Bomber to be using a center module for it's laser instead of chin-mounted
  • Missile boat missiles issue (see above)
  • If we are to use the Fanon Xm-1 designation for the Missile Boat, might as well add Nova Wing with it :)
  • Missing the official name of the Assault Gunboat in it's full name, "Star Wing"
I'm not sure if we will start messing around with the Missiles. That's something TFTC is working on. It's more important there than Skirmish mode. It could affect other people's custom campaigns too.

The namings were more of a choice. It's a game firstly more than a Wiki. Not too many people call it the Star Wing. It will be noted though.

Toscan warheads you are right, I'm not sure how that happened.
Everything else I'll let DTM investigate or discuss as he is the main Patch creator and expert.
Are those firing orders the same as they were in the previous XWAUCP? Or are you just saying that's what it should be realistically.
We want to make sure there's a difference from a bug to a preference change.
Thanks for the report though. :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:06 am

iteachvader wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:57 am
Did TWO fresh installations of XWA, completely deleted all XWA listings via Revo Uninstaller, closed steam, antivirus disabled, restarted computer. Still the same result both times, even after redownloading the pack.
I'm afraid installation issues is not my area. You will have to wait until someone like Jeremy wakes up tomorrow.
It looks like it can't read your XWA folder maybe though?
Make sure you have enough free space and it's not a ram drive or anything.
Sorry but most of the XWAU team are from Europe and so ofc are in bed. Like I will be soon! :D

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:07 am

For the firing order, i'm mostly basing this on the vanilla game and previous games (for the TIE crafts, i'm using the TIE Fighter game as a reference)

For the missiles, it's just to keep it consistent with the TIE Fighter game, which would mean that the primary cockpit-side launcher would be selectable, while the pylon-mounted secondary launchers would always have advanced missiles (or normal missiles, as to not mess up with the balance)

For the TIE Bomber with a center laser module, by Miss I mean that I miss it, not that it's mandatory ;) :lachtot:

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:23 am

Im sure that not copying the CD was already brought up during testing, guess it must have slipped through but for CD users:

Install XWA (either using normal installer for 32bit (or if using WoW64/NTVDM64/otvdm on 64 bit) or the msi installer on an iso)
install patch 202
Copy all folders to install dir (movies, wav, flightmodels etc)
then install XWAU 2020

Trev

iteachvader
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by iteachvader » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:48 am

I'm using the GOG version of XWA. The other installers seem to be working just fine, just not the XWAU2020 one, sadly.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:52 am

For the Missile Boat, you could probably just reverse the launchers in the exe. Low-priority fix, though. As for the Missile Boat's designation, FFG's X-Wing game seemed to combine both the Missile Boat and Assault Gunboat into their Alpha-class Star Wing release. You differentiated the two with upgrade cards: The Assault Gunboat got the "Xg-1 Assault Configuration" card while the Missile Boat seems to be represented by the "Os-1 Arsenal Loadout." Thus, we could use Os-1 for the Missile Boat.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:47 am

For the missile issue, I tried doing it in the exe, but it change the problem to the primary launcher being the second one (for some reason, XWA only permit choosing the second warheads launcher warheads, instead of the first launcher as like the older games).

So it look like a hook will be necessary at one point to fix that

EDIT : I checked something, and the vanilla game is setted-up to invert the paradigm of the previous games on the weapon changes order for the launchers

So in Tie Fighter, when you pressed W, it would go through : Laser, Primary Launchers, Secondary Launchers (note that I identify the primary launcher as the sidepods and the secondary as the pylon-mounted ones)

in vanilla XWA, it go through : Laser, Secondary Launchers, Primary Launchers

The way they made it in vanilla XWA is that in MXVTED, 1st launcher is torpedo, second is missile, and on the model itself, missiles are the sidepods and torpedoes the pylon pods (even though it says torpedo, they still load missiles), so that the primary launchers will be loaded last in the order, but it will be the one that you can select the warhead type.

This means that in XWA, the warhead choice affect the SECOND warhead system, instead of the first like the older games

In XWAU, MXVTED is the same, but the model hardpoints are inverted, with torpedoes for the sidepods and missiles for the pylon pods. Since torpedoes is the first system, it means that in XWAU, the pylons pods are affected instead of sidepods as supposed two

To emulate the original xwa, there is two solutions :
  • we can just change the hardpoints between each other (basically, configure the sidepods hardpoints for missiles and the pylon ones for torpedoes)
  • We can just invert the two warheads weapon systems under the weaponry tab in MXvTED
no matter which solution is used, it will at least bring the warheads pods purpose in line with canon, but to bring it to the old TIE fighter behavior, where the warhead choice would affect the first warhead system instead of the second one, we will need someone to make a hook for that.

Another edit : Just realized : the xwajoystickconfig hook in the new patch is not the latest, can't set the rudder axis with that one :p

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:15 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:14 am

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am
That link doesn't work. I suggest checking your control options in and out of game and maybe configuring the joystick.

EDIT:

I have Queck BHoth settings, but the Problem is active, you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN3Q4Ef ... e=youtu.be

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

I checked it again, there is no Spinning Cockpit in the vanilla game.

No problems with the last changes before the release of the megapack, I guess it's the joystick configurator tool
Last edited by Avarice1987 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:05 am

Hi Ace,

A question about this new update:

The previous version overwite the language and force it to English.

To solve it I replace the file tag files and wave folder.

I need to do the some in this update ? Or is not necessary ?

Ronin
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Ronin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am

Hi,
I have freshly installed Steam version of X-Wing Alliance. Then I've installed mega patch 2020.

But game don't start when I press "Play" on launcher. It says "running" on steam library as if it would start but nothing happens.

Thank you for your efforts.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 am

Ronin wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am
Hi,
I have freshly installed Steam version of X-Wing Alliance. Then I've installed mega patch 2020.

But game don't start when I press "Play" on launcher. It says "running" on steam library as if it would start but nothing happens.

Try using the new launcher to play the game and don't use the Steam library. We have to modify the exe in order to make things work so it might very well be that this messes with the steam integration.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 am

iteachvader wrote:

directory)
  at
  at
Hello,
I can reproduce the error.
It seems to happen when the installer is situated at the root of a drive.
You can try to move the installer in a folder and try again.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:26 am

marcop000 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:05 am
Hi Ace,
A question about this new update:
The previous version overwite the language and force it to English.
To solve it I replace the file tag files and wave folder.
I need to do the some in this update ? Or is not necessary ?
Multilingual audio files and movies are not affected. You don't need to back up and restore tag files and wave folder.

Unfortunately, the translation of the writings is lost. Keeping the translation of the writings would cause multiple bugs. There is nothing to be done to keep the writings. Sorry!

Ronin
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Ronin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:36 am

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:29 am
Ronin wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:22 am
Hi,

Try using the new launcher to play the game and don't use the Steam library. We have to modify the exe in order to make things work so it might very well be that this messes with the steam integration.

Thank you. Everything work fine after I switch to GOG version of XWA.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

No problems with the last changes before the release of the megapack, I guess it's the joystick configurator tool
Try updating your hooks as a test. There was an update to avoid conflicts with Max's effects. This may have slipped the update.

EDIT: Use this instead
xwa_hook_joystick_ff_WIP_2011011509 (1).zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:21 pm
Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:04 am

Try updating your hooks as a test. There was an update to avoid conflicts with Max's effects. This may have slipped the update.

EDIT: Use this instead
xwa_hook_joystick_ff_WIP_2011011509 (1).zip

Same Problem, you can see systemsettings for Joystick and Hook settings/Ingame settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZDHfB ... e=youtu.be

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:42 pm
Same Problem, you can see systemsettings for Joystick and Hook settings/Ingame settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZDHfB ... e=youtu.be
JeremyaFr wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 am
Jeremy any ideas? Joysticks are your area. Thanks