Latest Beta Release of the VR mod

Here you can find help for how to best run and setup your XWA VR experience.

Re: Latest Beta Release of the VR mod

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Tried one more mission: Gotta love VR!
In hanger: Head tracking just moves the whole hanger as you move your head - like the hanger is stuck to your headset front
Observation: Hyperspace 'tunnel' is really bright, personally prefer the darker blue :) - but that may not be you?

I moved the original ddraw & Hook_cockpitLook DLL's to a different folder and copied yours in to the XWA Folder

Cybrnite

User avatar
Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)
Posts: 6357
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 1999 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Forceflow » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am

Cybrnite wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm
Tried one more mission: Gotta love VR!
In hanger: Head tracking just moves the whole hanger as you move your head - like the hanger is stuck to your headset front
I think that is a game limitation that we don't have a workaround yet.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:07 am

Forceflow wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am
Cybrnite wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:33 pm
Tried one more mission: Gotta love VR!
In hanger: Head tracking just moves the whole hanger as you move your head - like the hanger is stuck to your headset front
I think that is a game limitation that we don't have a workaround yet.
No, before I installed M0rgg's DLL's it worked fine for me :)

User avatar
m0rgg
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Post by m0rgg » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm

I believe there is some degree of tracking in the stable version, but the roll and positional tracking does not work properly, only pitch an yaw (the mouse look). That may be the limitation forceflow refers to.

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:33 pm

:wonderoflife: :wonderoflife:
m0rgg wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:06 pm
I believe there is some degree of tracking in the stable version, but the roll and positional tracking does not work properly, only pitch an yaw (the mouse look). That may be the limitation forceflow refers to.
Soz :)

User avatar
m0rgg
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Post by m0rgg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 am

Hello,

I have re-implemented the sharing of the SteamVR tracking pose using a memory-mapped file. To test, just extract the contents of this file in your XWA folder (with a working install of VR mod):
https://github.com/morallo/xwa_ddraw_d3 ... _Morgg.zip

In my tests, it works in the hangar (although without positional tracking, only rotational, but that is a limitation of the current stable version too).

As before, please test and verify if the head tracking is better, especially in low FPS situations.

Thanks!

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:41 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 am
Hello,

I have re-implemented the sharing of the SteamVR tracking pose using a memory-mapped file. To test, just extract the contents of this file in your XWA folder (with a working install of VR mod):
https://github.com/morallo/xwa_ddraw_d3 ... _Morgg.zip

In my tests, it works in the hangar (although without positional tracking, only rotational, but that is a limitation of the current stable version too).

As before, please test and verify if the head tracking is better, especially in low FPS situations.

Thanks!
File downloads OK but won't Extract - It creates the folder, but won't extract either of the files - unexpected error'
And when I try to extract direct from the zipped folder, it states 'destination file could not be created' for both files :(

Cybrnite

User avatar
Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)
Posts: 6357
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 1999 11:01 pm
Contact:

Post by Forceflow » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Cybrnite wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:41 pm
m0rgg wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:27 am
Hello,

I have re-implemented the sharing of the SteamVR tracking pose using a memory-mapped file. To test, just extract the contents of this file in your XWA folder (with a working install of VR mod):
https://github.com/morallo/xwa_ddraw_d3 ... _Morgg.zip

In my tests, it works in the hangar (although without positional tracking, only rotational, but that is a limitation of the current stable version too).

As before, please test and verify if the head tracking is better, especially in low FPS situations.

Thanks!
File downloads OK but won't Extract - It creates the folder, but won't extract either of the files - unexpected error'
And when I try to extract direct from the zipped folder, it states 'destination file could not be created' for both files :(

Cybrnite
Might be an anti-virus program on your end messing with it. I just downloaded the file and could extract it without issue.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Not happened before - but I'll try again later :)

User avatar
m0rgg
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Post by m0rgg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Are you trying to extract directly into a folder in the "Program Files" directory? It may be a permissions issue.
Try extracting temporarily in your Desktop and then move it to XWA folder.

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:29 pm

m0rgg wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm
Are you trying to extract directly into a folder in the "Program Files" directory? It may be a permissions issue.
Try extracting temporarily in your Desktop and then move it to XWA folder.
Nope, I keep all the file separate so I can keep some form of log. Tried extracting to different folder with no joy. I can extract other zipped files Ok. Even tried a reboot and a different browser - weird :/

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Tried a different PC - still no progress :/

User avatar
m0rgg
Cadet 2nd Class
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Post by m0rgg » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:48 pm

What app are you using to extract? Try the free (OpenSource ) 7zip.

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Brill, that did it, thanks - still weird tho'
I'll do a back up and test and report back :)

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:40 am

Success - Head tracking in the Hanger seemed good, can look left, right, up, down without issue
Played a couple of missions AWing & Otana and everything played OK
However, I'm new to VR (had my Quest2 a couple of weeks only) and not sure how smooth things should be for my rig, as still a bit jittery at times - perhaps someone could advise?:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTZ 1660 Super

Cybrnite

User avatar
blue_max
XWAU Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 am

Post by blue_max » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Cybrnite, have you tried the tips in this thread?

https://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=12490

To help with the jittering, try disabling the Active Cockpit first. Also post your resolution settings (in-game, desktop, SteamVR per-eye)

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for getting back Blue_max :)

Active Cockpit already Off

In-Game: 1024 x 768
Desk top: 1920 x 1080
Steam VR - Resolution per eye: 2224 x 2244 (144%)

Gone through most of the tips, and realise most of them or configured in the latest updates, but I've reduced other stuff like speed_shader_max_particles = 20
removed in-game Space debris etc (never liked it anyway)

So, any pointers on the above would be great

Another question - possibly off-topic:
When using Babu Friks Configurator and you make changes to the effects etc; then you go back to use it again, does it 'remember' the stuff you've already done, or do you have to start from scratch again?

Really appreciate what you guys have done to my all-time-life-long fav space sim - thank you!!

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:11 pm

Just a thought...
As VR is becoming more popular, and as many of the older VR tips are incorporated in to the new updated .cfg's; would be beneficial to have a NEW VR Tips Thread to advise best performance etc?

Cybrnite

User avatar
blue_max
XWAU Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 am

Post by blue_max » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 am

Cybrnite, I think your per-eye resolution is a bit high. As a reference, I play at 960x1080. Resolution is more-or-less the main driver for the performance. What framerates are you getting? Unfortunately, if the screen is busy, you can expect it to drop to 30fps or even less. However, if you play a simple skirmish mission with a couple of capital ships you can expect 45-90fps.

I don't think the Babu Frik configurator remembers the choices you've made (but I may be wrong!)

What do you suggest we should add to the tips section?

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:29 am

blue_max wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 am
Cybrnite, I think your per-eye resolution is a bit high. As a reference, I play at 960x1080. Resolution is more-or-less the main driver for the performance. What framerates are you getting? Unfortunately, if the screen is busy, you can expect it to drop to 30fps or even less. However, if you play a simple skirmish mission with a couple of capital ships you can expect 45-90fps.

I don't think the Babu Frik configurator remembers the choices you've made (but I may be wrong!)

What do you suggest we should add to the tips section?
Thanks for the heads-up on the resolution - I'll give it try and report back

"What do you suggest we should add to the tips section?":
It was just through my personal experience - XWAU was one of the deciding factors of me investing in a Quest 2. So I was eager to get it up and running. I looked at many of the threads and amended many of the .cfg's
But it soon got confusing remembering what I'd done and what threads I'd read, plus some of them seemed to conflict as better results were discovered - which is natural of course, but still adds to the confusion of someone trying to get their head around it
Then came the Mega Upgrade a few days later (Yay!) and noticed many of the VR tips were actually incorporated in to the new configs anyway
So I just thought it would be easier for new 'XWAU/VR noobs' to have all the tips on one Sticky Thread, deleting or blocking all the old ones (there are quite a few discussing VR) and pointing them to the new one.
The new one could have differing recommendations and best performance for different set-ups: i5, i7, AMD; Steam, GOG, Rift, Quest etc. I know the variants are endless, but t would be a good basic foundation to move forward and experiment

This way, the tremendous work you guys do on the upgrade and tweaking would be consolidated and appreciated even more :)

Hope that helps

Cybrnite

User avatar
Cybrnite
Cadet 3rd Class
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:19 am

Post by Cybrnite » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:19 pm

blue_max wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:28 am
Cybrnite, I think your per-eye resolution is a bit high. As a reference, I play at 960x1080. Resolution is more-or-less the main driver for the performance.
Ah, that's make things smoother with all things. Unfortunately, it makes everything a tad blurred.
I bumped it up to 3k x 3k and the clarity was awesome! But totally unplayable of course :(
Just need to find an acceptable balance based on my rig

But thanks again for the pointer :)

Cybrnite

Wiiplay123
Cadet 4th Class
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:08 pm

Post by Wiiplay123 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:41 am

Just tried that EffectsByBlueMax_beta_v2020-12-14_by_Morgg.zip, but I had to revert to the ddraw.dll included in the stable version because the new one uses CreateFile2 which isn't in Windows 7, only Windows 8 and later.

Still has the exact same problem on Windows 7 after I leave the hangar of only tracking roll, but not pitch and yaw, which isn't an issue when I run it in Windows 10. I lost internet and tried to play X-Wing Alliance in VR to pass the time, but Windows 10 needed internet to download HTC Vive drivers despite already having downloaded them before.

User avatar
darklord
Galactic Empire
Posts: 799
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:01 am
Contact:

Post by darklord » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:53 am

Hi I just tried the latest
Effects by Blue Max's Version 2021-02-06.zip with steam VR.

The new features sure seem promising, only quite a bit of head tracking in Steam VR has become wonky, is this a known issue?
In my experience
-2d menus/interface now are no longer fixed and move with the glasses
-head tracking in hanger doesn't work at all, just gives a headache inducing jitter when I move my head
-head tracking starts moving side to side on the x axis when in hyperspace.

These regressions aren't in the last patch release of XWAU.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my own headset, a Samsung Odyssey, and have been so excited to finally try this. Overall, I'm extremely impressed with the project. Coupled with the advice on another thread about the NVidia profile, this works amazing. Never in a million years would I think I'd be playing XWA like this. :D
I could almost play the whole game like this at this point and am giving it a run now. I feel the only area that could use a little more improvement is the gun turret. And this issue is not just beta. I don't know if it's just me, but the inability to move the head separately is quite painful, I just try to keep my head still. Shame the whole second mission is that XD. Also in turret, the reticule is stuck facing forward of the ship rather than where you are shooting, which is odd.

That said, when I'm in the cockpit of any of the ships, even if it's not dynamic, it is absolutely amazing.

User avatar
blue_max
XWAU Member
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 am

Post by blue_max » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:01 pm

The Gun Turret has some limitations (as far as I remember, mouse look can't be enabled while the turret is active, meaning that head tracking won't work either); but the other areas you're asking about should work well. I need to take a look at what's happening with the tracking in the hangar and during hyperspace. The jitter in the hangar might be related to VSync, so you might want to toggle those settings in DDraw.cfg.

User avatar
ual002
XWAU Member
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

Post by ual002 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Even in track IR I noticed this one

-head tracking starts moving side to side on the x axis when in hyperspace.
Image Image Image Image Image

Post Reply