November Update

A forum for the TIE Fighter Total Conversion Project (TFTC). Here you can find out news, updates, FAQs or just ask questions about the project.

Moderators: AngeI, Bman

November Update

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Well two months ago, shortly after my September update video, my daughter was born. This has meant work has slowed down considerably on any modding my end, but the work continues! Most of the last few weeks have been focused on audio work, voiceovers, music etc. Here's a summary though:

What we've done:
  • The Classic Campaign missions are all in a playable state, with full audio and only need beta testing to work out any remaining bugs or issues.
  • New team member James has come on board as our main audio guy. He has cleaned up all the original VOs from the classics, so you can hear the dulcet tones of Guy Siner in their full glory.
  • James has also recomposed the soundtrack from their original MIDI files to something far more glorious sounding for the modern era which is nearing completion. In addition, he has cleaned up and remastered the original soundtrack which is emulating the Roland SC-55 using a Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. You can hear an earlier alpha version of the modern soundtrack from this video: https://youtu.be/NKCC0_AXK1c
  • James has also remastered the cutscene audio and again with a modern update to the soundtrack.
  • New wingmen voices have been implemented, replacing all of the Rebel ones. We've also implemented a new tactical officer VO using a droid-like voice (This is the voice that tells you your mission critical craft is under attack and whatnot).
  • Around half the VOs needed for the Reimagined campaign have been recorded, but still much work to do and then they need to be implemented.
  • Some updates to the UI have been done so there are fewer legacy images from the XWA campaign floating around.
  • We are also working on getting TFTC ready to integrate with the upcoming XWAU 2.0 release. This will include a new installer thats been developed which will allow you to easily configure the game for whatever mod you want to play. This will ensure you can easily change settings within TFTC and allow you to swap between playing the Classic or Reimagined campaigns with minimal fuss.

What we still need to do:
  • The Reimagined campaign still needs several missions finishing up design wise. They are all in a playable state from Battles 1 to 8 (Battles 9-13 will come next year in a DLC patch). However most need serious balance work to ensure they all work ok on all difficulty levels. Currently they are only balanced on Hard difficulty. This will by far take the longest time to accomplish as it requires an enormous amount of testing.
  • We hope to have a closed Beta test to help with the above and Classic campaign balancing/bug finding in the next few weeks. A post will be made requesting applications from anyone interested and we will pick from there.
  • We have to work out a consistent points scoring system for goals which will relate to when Secret Order cutscenes are triggered. This is where you get promoted up through the Secret Order as the game progresses.
  • Several starships still need weapon balancing overhauls from Bman. This will have a knock on impact on mission balancing in some cases.
  • Other gameplay aspects still need some tweaking related to laser and warhead behaviour.
  • Updated tutorial missions for new players using existing TF training missions as a basis.
  • As mentioned above, a fair amount of Reimagined VO work still needs to be done and integrated into the game after being properly cleaned up and balanced by James.
  • Lots of bug fixing and other minor tweaks, changes or additions yet to be discovered :D

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm

Dear AngeI,

Francally I don't know where you find the time to do all this , now that you have a daughter.

Anyone in your place would have suspended and it would be normal.

In all case this project is a great success !!! but not only becouse is excellent for nature, but becouse was coordinated in the best way.

What you share is the confirm, you have clear idea about what you have done and what is missing.

You share this work like a "project manager" of a real game factory and this make a serious upgrade.

I invite you to share this report each month, so we can keep updated about the progress.

P.S.

My dream is see one day XvT reborn like this project ....

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:51 pm

:2thumbs: Thank you for this report. I am very impatient too test it the original and the reimagined battle 1 to 8.
I am free for beta test of course.
Very cool to propose the next batlle 9 to 13 in a dlc
I remember we have bug in old TFTC. It was impossible to have batlle 1 to 13. The game crash i think because original game have no so much battle. Do you correct that?
I will be cool if we can keep the same pilots statistics for all battle.

I think we are many too wait this new TFTC thank you more for this work Angel and your team !!

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:58 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:41 pm
Dear AngeI,

Francally I don't know where you find the time to do all this , now that you have a daughter.
Anyone in your place would have suspended and it would be normal.
In all case this project is a great success !!! but not only becouse is excellent for nature, but becouse was coordinated in the best way.
What you share is the confirm, you have clear idea about what you have done and what is missing.
You share this work like a "project manager" of a real game factory and this make a serious upgrade.
I invite you to share this report each month, so we can keep updated about the progress.

P.S.
My dream is see one day XvT reborn like this project ....
Thank you! I find some time here and there, but I understand now when people say good luck finding free time anymore between a baby and a full time job :D Luckily I got most of the design work done before the birth, so its a case of finishing them up and balancing missions, which just involves a lot of playtesting. Other aspects of the project are being worked on by other team members or XWAU community members helping out where they can.

eddyfurax wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:51 pm
I remember we have bug in old TFTC. It was impossible to have batlle 1 to 13. The game crash i think because original game have no so much battle. Do you correct that?
I will be cool if we can keep the same pilots statistics for all battle.

I think we are many too wait this new TFTC thank you more for this work Angel and your team !!
Thank you as well! You will be able to play Battles 1-13 all the way through with no crashes or extra installs and pilot statistics will keep up with that :)

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:04 pm

Good news for all this update in comparison to the original TFTC (dynamic music, voices, balancing, Secret order :D...). Work well we will try to get patient :^^:

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Congratulations, i hope your daughter sleeps well and often so you have time for modding :-)
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

BobDoleStillAlive
Recruit

Post by BobDoleStillAlive » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:30 pm

AngeI wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm
We hope to have a closed Beta test to help with the above and Classic campaign balancing/bug finding in the next few weeks. A post will be made requesting applications from anyone interested and we will pick from there
Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! :-P :)

Thank you for the update and all the work you all are doing in this project!

funseeker702
Recruit

Post by funseeker702 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:40 pm

You sir are definitely a pillar in this community. I have just recently gotten to know you through a youtube video but I can tell you're a passionate person and for that I thank you. If ever you find yourself here in Las Vegas, Nevada, please let me know and allow me to treat you to a beer or drink of your choice.

ben1
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ben1 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:55 am

Hey Angel, I loved the video you linked.

One thing I thought was that is there something else that could be put at the end of a mission rather than a wall of text, unless this is a placeholder? Could we not have an image of an imperial officer or some such thing?

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:21 am

ben1 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:55 am
Hey Angel, I loved the video you linked.

One thing I thought was that is there something else that could be put at the end of a mission rather than a wall of text, unless this is a placeholder? Could we not have an image of an imperial officer or some such thing?
Unfortunately this is how XWA does its debriefing, a voice file with the wall of text. To my knowledge this can't be changed.