Question about DAT editing

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Question about DAT editing

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:05 pm

Quick question concerning DAT editing : how do I identify dat files to replace or where to add them ?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:17 pm

You'll find the *.dat files in the Resdata folder, you add names of the files to the Resdata.txt file, place your new name at the very top of the list, like so

Resdata\[YourDatName].dat
Resdata\Animations.dat
Resdata\Backdrop.dat
Resdata\Debris.dat

Hope that's what you mean
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm

No, actually it's because I want to replace some ships in DSUCP on my personal build, and while some of the images in the DAT are easy to find and replace(the pictures we see in craft selection in the sim are quite easy to replace), the hull icons and map icons are pretty hard to find, especially since what i'm replacing are the two additional X-Wings (Partisan and T-70)

What i'm looking for is what picture ID correspond to which craft in Map_Icons_UCP and Hull_Icons_UCP

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:50 am

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm
No, actually it's because I want to replace some ships in DSUCP on my personal build, and while some of the images in the DAT are easy to find and replace(the pictures we see in craft selection in the sim are quite easy to replace), the hull icons and map icons are pretty hard to find, especially since what i'm replacing are the two additional X-Wings (Partisan and T-70)

What i'm looking for is what picture ID correspond to which craft in Map_Icons_UCP and Hull_Icons_UCP
Darksaber reordered that palette, I had that same issue identifying what was what, but it should be in order. I'm guessing the shiplist.
Image Image Image Image Image

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 am

The thing is that the numbers in the ship list ? I have no idea what they means and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the tutorials

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:05 am

I usually open the dsucp dat files and scroll through till I find the image I want to replace and note the number associated with it and create a new dat file and import the image I want instead and reference the relevant number, save. Input new dat to load after the cup ones to override.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:19 am

the thing is that the X-Wing have a few copies in it :p

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:03 am

Download Datech07 from my site, when opened (no need to open any *.dat files) Just click on the preview button, the preview window will pop up, then click on refresh the image will load, you can scroll through to the craft you want the info for and will help you identify which Hull Icon or Map Icon belongs to each craft, then use XWA Dat Editor to replace the icons

Oh it's best to try and us an image with an Alpha/Transparent background
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Ah, thanks for the tip DS!