Remaking TIE Fighter into XWA - Ideas, Help and Questions

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Remaking TIE Fighter into XWA - Ideas, Help and Questions

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat May 25, 2019 11:48 am

Hello all! With many thanks to Forceflow for directing me here after e-mailing him an inquiry about the use of XWAU pack in a mod I wanted implement, I have ideas i'd like to share and questions to ask, particularly with regards to the TIE Fighter Total Conversion, its current state and what I wish to do.

I did post in the pilots lounge some years ago with ideas and some initial tinker I had done with the TFTC and since then I've only worked on it on and off. However a video I posted a year or so ago showcasing what I was trying to do is gaining more traction and people are asking me if I intend to finish what I started, so I've decided I'd like to come back to it. First a link to the video in question so you can see for yourself what I was trying to accomplish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6X_XgUozWE&

I do give a verbal introduction and explanation but the whole video is rather long so there are timestamped codes for key moments in the description. Basically though my idea was to revamp/remaster/reimagine - whichever term is most appropriate - each mission in the TF campaign to take full advantage of what the XWA engine can offer and make the game an even more intense and enjoyable experience. How you ask? By adding more ships, making the story more consistent with previous missions, expanding the scope of the story to showcase the might of the Empire that was not possible with the limitations of the original TF Engine. I also wanted players to get the best visual experience possible by including the XWAU project as part of the mod. Forceflow has told me that because there are so many talented folk working on it, it may be hard for me to get permission from all to include it as part of the mod but simply better to have the mod as a prior pre-requisite for installing what I had in mind.

However I do not know what the current state of the actual TFTC is given I've seen recent download links have been removed due to it not working properly. Is the project still being actively worked on at all and would my work at all conflict with whats going on with it if so? Or could it benefit that project as being part of it? Is this idea one that would be welcomed at all?

To date only the first Battle campaign has been edited. Mission 1 and 2 have are complete to my satisfaction, including rewriting the briefing, doing new voiceovers etc. Mission 3-6 have had stuff done to them but need further testing, tweaking and briefing/story rewrites and voices done. I would be happy to share what I've done with any of you interested to try and I welcome any feedback you may have. I'm also available on Steam or Discord for further chatting if anyone is interested.

I look forward to hearing what you may have to say! :)

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sat May 25, 2019 2:10 pm

The video looks great and I love the extras your adding for the "remaster" rather than straight port.

You will have to re-enable the 256 weapons patch though as the latest XWAU has removed that patch due to balance issues within XWA (though I hope there is also a "remaster" for this too viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12069)

Speaking of 256 weapons, just comparing that vid to default is wow, 256 is so much more epic.

Trev

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 25, 2019 2:28 pm

First off, nice work. Really like what you did.

Second, I think you're spot on about the possibilities that XWA offers. You just felt that there were so many mission in TIE Fighter that were limited by the engine, but could be so much more epic in XWA.

Looking forward to more.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun May 26, 2019 7:02 am

Thanks guys, apprecaite the feedback so far :) With regards to the laser count, I do like it, but it does seem throw larger ship balance out of wack a bit, the Corellian Corvettes are powerful enough to wipe out other Capital ships with relative ease! But I do agree it does make things look more epic, so would like to try and keep it if I can.

Out of curiosity, if I made a seperate installer, how could I just apply the 256 laser patch as an individual one like the older versions of XWAU did? - Edit: Found the XWA exe patcher and OPT editor, can have some fun with this. Just found out you can have almost 200 ships, this increases the possibilities further! :D

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun May 26, 2019 11:18 pm

If you would be interested in "remastering/enhancing" battles 8 through 13 (a lot more fun anyway) that would be a big help. A direct port is pretty much impossible and won't work with this game engine. You can see Wayland's version too for fun. Problem is there are still a lot of continuous "upgrades" being done via this site and others who release great stuff and Jeremy's helpful patches so there are a lot of moving parts that affect mission play. There are some new models that are needed too for the TFTC I'm working on.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Mon May 27, 2019 8:40 am

Definitely interested Bman, PM'd you further :)

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:54 am

Were the dialogues in the video linked in the opening post remastered?