Research: Discrepancies in Game versions?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Research: Discrepancies in Game versions?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:03 pm

OK, this is more a subject of curiosity. While working on some of the XWAU OPTs, most prominently the Space Colony 1, I did notice quite a few bugs in the vanilla version of the model. Now, as I can't remember having seen such obvious bugs in the past, I'm wondering whether there may be discrepancies between the different versions of the game (CD, GoG, Steam, etc.)

Right now I'm using the Steam Version. I still have a CD floating around somewhere but haven't installed that version in years, as one of the two CDs eventually got broken.

Anyway, I'll list what I found and keep expanding if I find more. Maybe someone with a different version can check his and find out if the issue's always been there.

ImperialStarDestroyer2.opt:
- Mesh 30 has an undefined Hardpoint

SpaceColony1.opt:
- Mesh 0 has mapping errors on the underside
- Mesh 6 has mapping errors on one of the arms
- Mesh 6 has an inverted Face ontop one of the arms
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:38 pm

Hey GT.

Did a quick check on my GOG version. I'm using OPTech v2.0.44. Looks like I don't have any Mesh0s, it starts at Mesh1 so I guess I have to add 1 to your mesh numbers.

ImperialStarDestroyer2.opt does have an undefined hardpoint set on Mesh31. It's HP7 by OPTech's reckoning, if that helps.

I think I can see the mapping error you mean on Mesh 1. Face17 (I guess Face16 by your count) looks like it has its texture in the orientation. It doesn't line up with the texture on Face16, and looks distorted. Is that the mapping error, or another messed up face?

I can see distorted textures on Mesh7 Face2 (Mesh6 Face1 for you). I guess that's the inverted face on top one arm?

Mesh7 Face1 isn't visible. It makes that arm look like only one face of the triangle. Is that the mapping error you're talking about?
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 am

Heh, if you swap your two last points, we have a match :D With inverted face I meant it's facing the wrong way, which is why it appears to be invisible.
OK, guess those errors might be consistend then.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Alpha_0-0-0
Galactic Empire

Post by Alpha_0-0-0 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:01 am

Hello
It's not inverted, it's not there, the arm only has 2 sides or faces, the top face doesn't exist
CD version
thank you