TIE Defender custom

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

TIE Defender custom

avazquezd75x
Recruit

Post by avazquezd75x » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:06 pm

I´m a huge fan of what you guys are doing here, I have been tracking your work for years now, I really wish Lucasarts could be inspired in your work for future releases.

I´m currently working to create a custom 3 3/4" TIE Defender from a 1995 Hasbro TIE Interceptor ... My goal is to be able to create my custom as close as possible to your TIE Defender version ... I just love it!! :gott:
This is from where I got my inspiration to do my custom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT6XWxVW1ak
I just want to do it even better!!!

Would there be a possibility that you guys could share the OBJ or STL file JUST FOR THE exhaust nozzle and the missile launcher on your model so I could 3D print those ?
I really dont know a thing about 3D print ... but I´m guessing a render is neded to achieve this ?

I already got 2 TIE Interceptors and will be working with apoxy to model my TIE Defender :D

Best regards and Congrats on your work

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Sorry but the creator of the Defender doesn't allow for sharing of his files.
Even so that wouldn't help you. XWA models are not as advanced as current games.
Getting them to work with a render requires a fair bit of time and work I believe. So I don't think anything we could give you would work easily if we wanted to.

Having a action figure Defender is a brilliant idea though. Did they not release one for Rebels? If not they missed a trick! lol
Thanks for the kind words :)
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

avazquezd75x
Recruit

Post by avazquezd75x » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:38 pm

Hey Ace, thanks a lot for your reply.
I totally get it, even when I do not know anything about modeling or rendering, I recognize a lot of work is needed at the end ... it was worth the try.
No, they did not released a Defender after Rebels ... but i now have an idea how to get this done.

This project will be a nice Anti-Covid-stress treatment for me.

keep up the awesone job guys!! (waiting to see that TFTC notification to download-killRebelScum....eeeerr .... test it!!)

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:30 pm

3D printing does not require "rendering" but it does require 3D geometry to be "sliced" (this is the job of the printer)
After a part is printed you need to paint it.

Now, as what Ace was saying, if you want "smooth" models then XWA might not be your best choice (as our models are still quite polygonal to run in a real-time engine), however, if you want it to look polygonal or are wanting a rough outline to sand down, then maybe you will have more luck requesting the actual part you want - however, with no printer or any knowledge about how to print... I think your barking up the wrong tree.

If I were doing what you were doing I would have opened optech, exported the obj, imported into an8, cut the piece I wanted, chopped it into printable sections and filled the holes then printed, sanded, painted and done.

And no, I don't have time to do this, not to mention you don't have permission.

Trev

avazquezd75x
Recruit

Post by avazquezd75x » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Hey Trevor,
Thanks for the Rendering/OPT knowledge.

I asked for the OPT to give it to the guy that works 3D modeling I was paying to print this parts, no help needed there.

I will be modeling the parts on my own the old way ... plastic/apoxy/sand/paint (I do know how to do that)

Regards,

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:22 pm

I was paying

I doubt you will get permission then as this is defiantly now "commercial" and goes against all user agreements.

Sorry,
Trev