New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Apologises to Rookie_One if I'm wrong (if not he's a scoundrel :D ), but in the past he has given me a lot of craft classifications :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 pm

I'm gonna hate all of you if this continues :-P

Concerning engine speed, top speed might be the same (and are the same in wookiepedia), but the difference might rather lie in the acceleration, with the newer model having a better acceleration?

And we know that the ROTJ crafts have a different cockpit, we can easily say or deduct that the newer model, the C-A2, probably have upgraded avionics.

Anyway, we know that in xvt, xw, tf and xwa, it was the C-A2that is present in these games canonically speaking, starting with the farlanders papers
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 am

Aircraft in the real world receive avionics upgrades all the time, so just because the cockpit layout changes slightly doesn't mean you're necessarily dealing with a new model.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 am

I know, my points was more that the different package was a part of the C-A2 model, we know that there is more differences than that.
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:22 pm

The Saxman wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:50 am
Aircraft in the real world receive avionics upgrades all the time, so just because the cockpit layout changes slightly doesn't mean you're necessarily dealing with a new model.
They also recieve engine upgrade - the British GR5 Harriers were upgraded to GR7 and GR9 over the years, which included new cockpits and engines, despite which they never got appreciably faster. Instead, they got more fuel efficient because the more powerful engines could produce the same thrust with less fuel.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm

You wouldn't necessarily want them to get faster, though - factors like the airframe strength and aerodynamics may not allow it.

Neither that nor fuel economy are relevant to XWA, though.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am

Where can i find the latest Version of the HUD Explosion pack? My last is from July 2019

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Avarice1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am
Where can i find the latest Version of the HUD Explosion pack? My last is from July 2019
I may be wrong; but this is probably the latest release from Dec 2019:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/koq3fb33qv553 ... 9.zip?dl=0

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:51 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm
You wouldn't necessarily want them to get faster, though - factors like the airframe strength and aerodynamics may not allow it.

Neither that nor fuel economy are relevant to XWA, though.
This is true and also not true. Whilst fuel is not present in X-Wing as something to worry about it and airframe (spaceframe) stress are. Whilst ships in CX-Wing shouldn't have a top speed theoretically speaking in reality they do, and they also have manoeuvrability.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

vbodo78
Recruit

Post by vbodo78 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:41 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 pm
Avarice1987 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:46 am
I may be wrong; but this is probably the latest release from Dec 2019:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/koq3fb33qv553 ... 9.zip?dl=0
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the this needs Spyder’s X-Wing model, not just the modified cockpit model included in the release. Does anyone know where I can find Spyder’s X-Wing model? All references I’ve found for it so far contain expired links.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:53 pm

“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

vbodo78
Recruit

Post by vbodo78 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 am

Thanks for the help! I was able to get this working with the full models.

Ramshu
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Ramshu » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 am

Really nice work, whenever this game looks more like movies and I love that.
Thanks you so much modders!!

"Nasios pa vola"

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sat May 02, 2020 9:45 pm

During these hard times (at least for me) I was able to finish a few things including the X-wing cockpit.
As you will surely notice in the film new backgrounds, planets and other small details that create for me the film but also the simulation side of my favorite game. If they are interested, I will gladly share them.
As always, I am waiting for your comments and suggestions regarding the cockpit. For me this is work in progress all the time :-).

Fantastic DTM work, magical tools created by JeremyaFr and boss in the field of BlueMax innovation.
Thank you very much.
Of course, I also thank other people, both from XWAU and non-associates. It is thanks to such people that XWA lives all the time and as I see it will live for a long time.
So far there is no competition on the Star Wars simulator market :-)
Sorry for my English.

link for the new movie with new assets - https://youtu.be/ikYheEJ_68Q

Regards
KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 pm

While working on the cockpit, I did over 300 different graphics (some bought from adobe stock changed for XWA, but most of it was made by me). Stars and planets are at your disposal.
Please note, however, that this is WIP.
Make a copy of your old files before uploading new ones.

link for the files (valid till 10th of May 2020) - https://we.tl/t-TTXjNuySSe

have fun.

Regards
KW

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Your planets would look good if they all didn't have a black edge around them
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun May 03, 2020 10:34 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:28 pm
While working on the cockpit, I did over 300 different graphics (some bought from adobe stock changed for XWA, but most of it was made by me). Stars and planets are at your disposal.

have fun.

Regards
KW
Those look great! You helped DTM on the Super Backdrop Patch didn't you?
Are some of those from the movies? One looks like Hoth and Mustafar. Really nice stuff
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Mon May 04, 2020 2:54 am

I'm not sure this is the right topic, but I've noticed that in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YVCBg2UXmg ) the warhead symbol is not aligned with the 2 warhead count numbers, whereas the countermeasures symbol and the countermeasures count number are perfectly aligned.
I'm talking about the "Standard HUD with few modifications" version.
Standard HUD with few modifications.jpg
In the vanilla game or with any of the craft packs installed both the warhead symbol and the countermeasures one were unaligned with the respective numbers when the screen resolution increased.

The question is: if the symbol/number alignment has been fixed for countermeasures, is it possible to fix it for warheads too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Mon May 04, 2020 4:51 am

Is there a place to view screenshots of the various backdrops and such?

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 am

let me ask a very stupid question: with the new VR HUD and active cockpit do you have to use a touchscreen in play?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:34 pm
Those look great! You helped DTM on the Super Backdrop Patch didn't you?
No he didn't!

Lets get one thing straight once and for all, a while ago, korekwerner uploaded a pack with his explosions, around the same time Jeremy introduced 32bit hook for images that allowed you to use transparent backgrounds

I saw the pack and liked the explosions, but in game they had a a lot of black around them, I then used most of these explosions not all, which I might add most can be found around the web if you look hard enough. Anyhow I wanted away to remove the blackness from around the images, I worked with ual002 for a while, but ultimately I found away to remove the black and keep all the colour, basically by setting all black to be an alpha channel, so I set about changing the explosions, the results can be found in the new backgrounds pack.

That was korekwerner only involvement with the the backgrounds, I used most of his explosions and hopefully made them better more transparent.

DTM released his super backgrounds pack before Jeremy introduce the 32bit image hook, so the new planets all had black backgrounds, at the time all we could to is to make the black transparent, but it left a black ring around the planets, where the color changed from true black to the colour of the planet, When Jeremy introduce the 32bit image, this allowed me to remove all the black and use transparent images

DTM learnt that I was removing the black backgrounds and provided me with his original images, I set about cutting around all, well most the planets to remove the black background by feathering the edges and adding a glow which could pass as a corona around the planets, so now you have a true transparent edge around the planets, which you can actually see the background stars through and blend in much better

All of the Nebulas, Galaxies, wrap-a-round backgrounds and so on all had the same treatment as the explosions to remove the black backgrounds, the suns I remade.

So there you go
the Main Credit goes to
DTM for his first version of the SuperBackgrounds and the use of his original images
Jeremy for making it possible to use transparent backgrounds with his 32bit hook
Myself, Darksaber for editing the images and making the backgrounds transparent
ual002 for initial help with the black backgrounds
korekwerner for the use of the explosions
- John Lydgate

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 04, 2020 8:31 am

@darksaber at first I did without a black border, but I saw more jaggy edges with brighter surfaces.
With my starfield and nebulas looks ok,but this is WIP .
It does not change the fact that if you want selected planets without a black background, I will share them as much as possible.
I write selected ones, because there are simply too many of them, and not all of them are great.

@Ace Antillies no, I did not participate in the work of backgrounds and planets for XWAU. DTM work is really amazing and looks fantastic. However, my goal is different. As I wrote earlier, I want the level of immersion to be closer to movies (classic saga 1-6 with preferred 4-6) that's why I remade few planets like Felucia, Mandalore, Hoth, Botahuwi, Corelia, Geonosis, Tatooine, Kamino, Utapau, Bestine and more.
Of course, this takes time, but I'm happy with the current effect and that's why I shared it with you.

@Phoenix Leader as much as you are right, alignment of individual cockpit elements in DC is very simple, but requires some compromises. You need to look at the HUD elements a bit wider, because some of them perform different functions and change from numbers to text. This applies to rockets and decoys in training missions. In standard version with Blue Max tools you can also move few elements, but I don't recommend.
example in DC.

@jmarso if you want to see individual planets and backgrounds then the easiest way to use JeremyaFr tools XwaDatExplorer.
Preparation of descriptions of individual elements will definitely do when I finish working on them.

@capitanguinea no, you don't need a touch screen. Everything works in a traditional way - joystick / gamepad and keyboard.

Regards
KW

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm

korekwerner wrote:

have fun.

Regards
KW
This cockpit looks absolutely amazing, I have to say. Looks like a perfect blend on realism and gameplay utility from what I can see of it.

Is there anywhere to download this cockpit and give it a go? Unless I'm just not seeing it, it doesn't seem to be present in the link you've provided here.

It's also kind of hard to tell what's going on in your video with all the other iterations visible; a nice run of unbroken gameplay with the full cockpit visible would be good.

There are only two things I'd suggest based on what I can make out in the video. The first would be to maybe add two more small 'screen's around the targeting computer. Currently, you've got four for parts of the CMD readout - Hull, Shield, Systems and Distance. And they're awesome, a really cool way to do that. But it seems to be missing Cargo and Component. Both of those are pretty important. Cargo is used by a lot of missions to indicate specific, mission important ships. Component is useful for letting you target things like shield generators or weapons systems and showing you the component damage level. Maybe they're still there on the CMD view, but if so I can't see them.

The other thing would be to maybe bring the radar displays further up the cockpit frame to be 'closer' to the player (and therefore bigger) but a bit further out on the screen. At the moment, they seem a bit small and I think setting them more to the periphery helps declutter your area of focus a bit.

If this cockpit is available to download anywhere, I'd love to give it a test and maybe provide some more feedback.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon May 04, 2020 2:55 pm

korekwerner wrote:

have fun.

Regards
KW
This cockpit looks absolutely amazing, I have to say. Looks like a perfect blend on realism and gameplay utility from what I can see of it.

Is there anywhere to download this cockpit and give it a go? Unless I'm just not seeing it, it doesn't seem to be present in the link you've provided here.

It's also kind of hard to tell what's going on in your video with all the other iterations visible; a nice run of unbroken gameplay with the full cockpit visible would be good.

There are only two things I'd suggest based on what I can make out in the video. The first would be to maybe add two more small 'screen's around the targeting computer. Currently, you've got four for parts of the CMD readout - Hull, Shield, Systems and Distance. And they're awesome, a really cool way to do that. But it seems to be missing Cargo and Component. Both of those are pretty important. Cargo is used by a lot of missions to indicate specific, mission important ships. Component is useful for letting you target things like shield generators or weapons systems and showing you the component damage level. Maybe they're still there on the CMD view, but if so I can't see them.

The other thing would be to maybe bring the radar displays further up the cockpit frame to be 'closer' to the player (and therefore bigger) but a bit further out on the screen. At the moment, they seem a bit small and I think setting them more to the periphery helps declutter your area of focus a bit.

If this cockpit is available to download anywhere, I'd love to give it a test and maybe provide some more feedback.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 04, 2020 7:12 pm

@Will T for you.
Yes I will upload video with mission and when I finish work on the cockpit I will share with comunity.

regards
KW