Steam version but games prompts for CD

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Steam version but games prompts for CD

MatthieuThePilot
Recruit

Post by MatthieuThePilot » Wed May 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi all,

I just installed a bunch of upgrades (overall pack, effects, dynamic cockpits, and backdrops).
The game used to run fine from Steam (I bought it there) but now when I launch it, it requires the CD to be inserted - which I don't have obviously. Any ideas how to fix this ?

Thanks
Matt

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed May 20, 2020 4:28 pm

Have you installed the XWAU Craft Pack 1.6? This should be the first thing that you do.
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/download/ins ... P_v1.6.exe

If so you have to make sure you select the option during install that says you have the Steam version.

Also don't let Steam overwrite it with their own backup. Best to play with Steam off maybe
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I bought the game off Steam on sale before I knew about the GOG version. Yes, Steam's file integrity checking can break a modded installation. You can defeat it by copying the game install folder to a new directory. You can do this multiple times, to have multiple installations with different mods, and leaving the original directory alone gives you a baseline to rebuild if you screw something up, without having to redownload it from Steam. But note that in any non-default installation directory, you need to run the game directly with xwingalliance.exe, not the launcher (alliance.exe). XWAUCP/DSUCP will replace xwingalliance.exe, so Steam integration/CD checks shouldn't be a problem.

Here's a snapshot of my SteamLibrary\steamapps\common:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.