ia cutscene upscaling Full HD

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

ia cutscene upscaling Full HD

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:38 am

Hi,

I have upscaled the first 3 cutscenes. Here the download:

(expire within 7 days)
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/d56984 ... 242/a01e6f

just put there files in the Movies subfolder.

Unfortunatenly I can't upscaling the other files:

Battle*.snm and Prologue.snm

becouse I get this error while try to convert to avi:
error_while_convert2.png
hope will find a solution.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu May 14, 2020 11:17 am

You might have upscaled them but it doesn't make them HD, they'll be the same quality as before but larger

Also wrong forum transferring to Editing

EDIT: actually they are not that bad, quality looks pretty good
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 14, 2020 12:01 pm

Evilmark remixed one of the movies already into full screen and I found it slightly smoothed out some of the look.

From my own tests I have seen that an avi conversion of a cutscene can often run better than the snm which has had some stuttering.

I'll look forward to checking these out shortly Marco :)
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Mon May 18, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm

the quality is not the some this is a Artificial Intelligent upscaling not standard upscaling.

You are right it is NOT a true Full HD that is impossible to do, but is it only a step up over default cutscene.

To see the difference you need fist update the file TGSmush.dll (it is sufficient a 2019 or 2020 date file)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 14, 2020 12:18 pm

I just converted Prologue.snm to an AVI without any issues.
Make sure you've got the latest XWA SNM Converter downloaded, replace the program files and try again :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:02 pm
the quality is not the some this is a Artificial Intelligent upscaling not standard upscaling.
You are right it is NOT a true Full HD that is impossible to do, but is it only a step up over default cutscene.
To see the difference you need fist update the file TGSmush.dll (it is sufficient a 2019 or 2020 date file)
Had a really fast look and seems good. They aren't full widescreen though like 1080 width as my monitor is.
I assume to do that you would lose something or it needs to be stretched out more?

I'm no video editor but TGSmush now also supports MP4 format. If they are MP4 does that mean they will be slightly smaller file sizes or do you also lose some of the quality?

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Hi Ace,

I suspect the Italian version of SNM cuscene is not not supported by "XWA SNM Converter" due to different charset or unsupported accents chars.

Can you please try to convert this (prologue.snm):

https://we.tl/t-FMmnTqwlu7

About the quality when you need to modify a cutscene using "XWA SNM Converter" this support only avi format that add compression and lose quality.

Can be a good idea add MP4 or mkv (matroska) support to "XWA SNM Converter" to avoid to lose quality if is possible.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu May 14, 2020 2:03 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:10 pm
Hi Ace,
I suspect the Italian version of SNM cuscene is not not supported by "XWA SNM Converter" due to different charset or unsupported accents chars.
Can you please try to convert this (prologue.snm):
https://we.tl/t-FMmnTqwlu7
About the quality when you need to modify a cutscene using "XWA SNM Converter" this support only avi format that add compression and lose quality.

Can be a good idea add MP4 or mkv (matroska) support to "XWA SNM Converter" to avoid to lose quality if is possible.
I assumed you were running the files through some sort of video editor to upscale it after you converted it to AVI.
Is that not the case? Are you just extracting them to AVI?
Because I would expect a half decent video program to be able to save to MP4.

Yes a new SNM player would be great and also the ability to extract to MP4 would be nice but there are better areas that can be focused on. MKV is probably unnecessary I think.

I also got a bug when trying to convert your file. Not sure why, I will open a bug report and post the link here.
EDIT. Bug report posted here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11779&p=167675#p167675
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi Ace,

I like to let you know exactly what I have done:

First of all I have download this opensource tool:

video2x
https://github.com/k4yt3x/video2x/releases

that is a free ia upscaling program that work good but it is very very slow !!! (consider that to upscale a video of 5 minutes need not less then 40/50 minutes with average of 1 FPS, these video are 15 FPS ....

This what I have done:

1) convert snm to avi with "XWA SNM Converter" and here there is the first lose quality.
2) Upscalet avi to mkv with video2x with 3x factor (resolution 1920x1200). (no quality lose)
3) Scale resolution to 1920x1080 with ffmpeg (mkv, no quality lose)
4) Becouse video2x don't copy audio I need to extract the audio from avi file in wav format and after add in on mkv file (no quality lose).
5) At end reconvert to AVI (second lose quality).

Note:

1) this process have different compromise: 2 times quality lose to convert and reconvert to avi (only now I know that TGSmush.dll support mp4, however I have converted to avi with maximum bit/rate). If is possible add mp4 format to "XWA SNM Converter" can be a good idea repat again the proceess, this time without use avi.

2) video2x include a noise reduction that is good but is not the better. With a professional and expensive video NR software can be better add a noise reduction stage after upscaling.

So the result can be better but to see the difference the first avoid the avi format first and after both and the second , add noise reduction phase that need more time and attenction.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu May 14, 2020 3:40 pm

Hello,
I've updated XwaSnmConverter.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks !!!

Tested and worded.

One question: is possible add mp4 format ?

unfortunatenly avi is a lossy container and add a compression that cause a bit quality lose.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Thu May 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I think it would be better to convert them to png or tiff-sequences and the audio in a separate wav-file.
That way, you have far more flexibility in editing without losing image quality.
MP4 can be lossy too depending on the codec used.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Fek'LeyrTarg wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:21 pm
I think it would be better to convert them to png or tiff-sequences and the audio in a separate wav-file.
That way, you have far more flexibility in editing without losing image quality.
MP4 can be lossy too depending on the codec used.
The software Video2x do exacly this extract frame per frame to png format.

About the audio I extract to wav that is lossless.

About mp4 in generally I prefear mkv but howver mp4 is better than avi.

evilmark
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by evilmark » Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

marcop000 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:58 pm
Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks !!!

Tested and worded.

One question: is possible add mp4 format ?

unfortunatenly avi is a lossy container and add a compression that cause a bit quality lose.
As an alternative you could try what I did when I edited the intro last week. I didn't know about XwaSnmConverter until Ace Antilles linked it to me after the fact, so I used OBS to record the entire thing as I watched it, and it was saved as an MP4. I wasn't upscaling the video though, only replacing the opening crawl with a higher quality one.

Also Ace, you misspelled my name :)

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 pm

evilmark wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm
As an alternative you could try what I did when I edited the intro last week. I didn't know about XwaSnmConverter until Ace Antilles linked it to me after the fact, so I used OBS to record the entire thing as I watched it, and it was saved as an MP4. I wasn't upscaling the video though, only replacing the opening crawl with a higher quality one.

Also Ace, you misspelled my name :)
Lol So I did. I thought that was probably the way you made the video. Nice

highorph
Cadet 4th Class

Post by highorph » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:13 pm

Ciao marcop000.

From this thread

https://xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 84#p168284

I read that you were using a professional tool to get the enhanced videos (btw, they are fantastic!!). Are you going to continue sharing videos with us? If that´s not the case, can you please tell us at least the name of the tool? We would appreciate it very much!

highorph
Cadet 4th Class

Post by highorph » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:31 pm

I´ll be uploading all your work here so it doesn´t get lost. Thanks again!!

Enhanced videos