So many videos...

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

So many videos...

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Okay, since the team is still hard at work I figured I really should get to work myself showing of the great models they have made. So now the screenshot section not only shows the new screenshots but also features a 360° video of every single craft. (Minus the warheads... that really wasn't worth it) Since I bundled some crafts that's 117 new videos up on the page. Any boy can I tell you that was a lot of rendering time. (Each video takes anything between 15 and 20 minutes) I can tell you my CPU was really earning it's pay the past few days. But I think the results are really worth it.

Note that the videos only show up on the individual screenshot page of each craft as to not overload the pages. The videos are rendered at a resolution of 960x540 pixels with a framerate of 60fps for a hopefully silky smooth experience ;) Here a very small sample:

I hope you enjoy them, I might add some more videos down the line, but for now that's it!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Nice work!
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks Forceflow…. nice videos. And I am glad that you are showing these opts. You see.. I really love the design of the engines or exhaust the details are incredible on a lot of the opts, but I have one problem...in the Tech Library with blue_max's bloom setting... I can't adjust the settings to get them like this... Don't get me wrong, I love what blue_max has done for the community.... ;) I am just try to get the setting back to, like the Xwing, and CR90 Corellian Corvette I just love this.... :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:50 pm

I'm not sure I fully understood your comment, rogue518; but the bloom and other effects are currently only enabled while flying. In the Tech Library, it's still using the default renderer.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Blue_Max you see how the CR90 Corellian Corvette engine look in my
Tech Library.. the engines don't look like this, they look like the engines have been fired up.... And I apologize not try to hijack this thread...

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 pm

rogue518 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:18 pm
Tech Library.. the engines don't look like this, they look like the engines have been fired up.... And I apologize not try to hijack this thread...

Sincerely, Rogue518
These videos are not created from in the game itself. They are blender rendered from the opts. So that's why they look different.

Very nice job Forceflow
Last edited by Ace Antilles on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:58 pm

They all look great!
Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:41 pm
rogue518 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:18 pm

Sincerely, Rogue518
These are not in game materials. They are blender rendered from the opts. So that's why they look different.

Very nice job Forceflow
I'm not sure I've understood. Does this mean the in game opts are lower detailed because of the game engine constraints?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Not exactly but you can't recreate the exact same conditions unless it is done from in the game engine itself.
Forceflow can explain it all better than I ever could.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Oh that's the reason why…. Thanks Ace... what I did... (I'm thinking... am I going f#$k*&g nuts?) went into game … turned off engine glow and went back into the tech library and.. 'whala' that is what I was looking for.... but I turned the engine glows back on..... :D But those videos do look great....

Edit: Looked at all videos they are fabulous!!

Sincerely, Rogue518
Last edited by rogue518 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:32 pm

Absolutely awesome! You did a phenomenal job! :D

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 pm

Phoenix Leader wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:58 pm
I'm not sure I've understood. Does this mean the in game opts are lower detailed because of the game engine constraints?
No, the models themselves are shown just as they are in-game. However, and that is a big however, the complete lighting setups for the scenes is different since I cannot recreate the way XWA applies the lighting and effects. In the case of shadows this will result in my images and videos having much, much better and more realistic shadows. (Essentially the way Blender renders is ray-tracing) The engine glow on the other hand is a rather simple glow effect that is added to everything that emits a certain amount of light. It works very nicely, but it's not at all faithful to the engine glow effect in the game.
I also set many of the lights to actually emit light, which the game-engine doesn't really do. This let's me render the interiors with a much more pleasing and realistic look. It also means that the light the engines gives off is often seen on the geometry connected to it. Most of the time this is a better look that just isn't present in the game.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Forceflow...Thanks for the explanation... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 am

Mmm. Yummie.
Image Image Image Image Image

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:11 am

Very nice work. :2thumbs: :applaus:

It is very pleasant to see this 3D models like that !

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 am

Forceflow wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:10 pm
Phoenix Leader wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:58 pm
No, the models themselves are shown just as they are in-game. However, and that is a big however, the complete lighting setups for the scenes is different since I cannot recreate the way XWA applies the lighting and effects. In the case of shadows this will result in my images and videos having much, much better and more realistic shadows. (Essentially the way Blender renders is ray-tracing) The engine glow on the other hand is a rather simple glow effect that is added to everything that emits a certain amount of light. It works very nicely, but it's not at all faithful to the engine glow effect in the game.
I also set many of the lights to actually emit light, which the game-engine doesn't really do. This let's me render the interiors with a much more pleasing and realistic look. It also means that the light the engines gives off is often seen on the geometry connected to it. Most of the time this is a better look that just isn't present in the game.
I understand. It's a matter of lighting. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am

Awesome work, Force!
I can totally hear music when watching those waltzing Accelerator Rings! XD
And 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 ....
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 pm

The Cargo Facility looks so damn good. I wonder if more platforms will be available on the coming months... remastered Golan platforms would be amazing!

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm

General_Trageton wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:12 am
Awesome work, Force!
I can totally hear music when watching those waltzing Accelerator Rings! XD
And 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 ....
:dielaughing:

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Loving the renders.
Talking of bloom settings, I have recently toned down the in-game bloom settings to better reflect reality (lots of bloom was great for testing and showing off the feature)

Trev

Gringlas
XWAU Member

Post by Gringlas » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Love those renders. I think they realy make the models shine and smooth looking. Great work Forceflow.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 pm

Gringlas! Haven't seen you in half a century!

Well, almost... :D

*waves*
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:32 am

Nice work!