New XWAU-Team-Members

All the XWAU recent release news from the project can be found here

New XWAU-Team-Members

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:36 pm

Hey folks!

Great news for today! The XWAU team has gotten bigger again! Today we are very happy to welcome Jaeven and ual002 into the team! Both are Star Wars veterans and have already helped team members with their projects. They are eager to help out and we can't wait to give them lot's of work ;)

This is what they have to say about themselves:
Jaeven wrote: Image
I first got XWA around 12 years ago, and stumbled onto XWAU a few years later. It then took me until 2015 (I know, I can't believe I was that slow :D ) to finally make an account on this forum and interact with this wonderful community.

In those 12 years, I've put way too many hours into making mission. I've made close to a dozen campaigns, though I never quite got around to releasing them, in part because I've always added ships that weren't part of any of the craft packs. All that is to say, is that my skills are heavily focused around mission building/fixing. If a newly released opt needs testing, I'll put it through a variety of QA testing and see if/how it can break anything, whether that's CTDs or balance. This is what I've been doing for I think almost two years now with Driftwood, whenever's been working on an ship.

If said opt breaks the balance, I'll try to see if there's a way to fix the balance without having to do a grueling rework of an opt. For example, in case of the ISDII in the Kothlis mission I did a minor adjustment to its spawn. The gameplay and how the mission plays out remain virtually unchanged, but the result was that the player has a chance to save the Liberty without the mission feeling too oppressive and punishing. Of course, whether an opt or mission is changed is ultimately a team decision. What I would do in a hypothetical balance scenarion is play the mission, figure out what's wrong and then recommend solutions to make it balanced from a mission perspective. It is then up to the team to decide whether to rework the opt or make balance changes to the mission.

Beyond the making and editing of missions, I am very comfortable with using Opt editor, work on ini files and am able to do minor work on textures.
ual002 wrote: Image
I am beyond thrilled to be considered an official part of the team. This community has meant a lot to me, either in some small or large way over the last 20 years. This game was the second PC game I ever purchased after XVT, and the 3rd to have a significant impact on my interests as a child if we count playing TIE Fighter on a friend's home PC before having my own.

I hope to contribute wherever I can be effective, motivated, and knowledgeable. My area of interest is obviously the Imperial Starfighter Corps, and I by no means claim to be an expert in legends or canon material, I like to think I understand the spirit of story TIE Fighter the game gave us and how it influences old/new soft/official canon.

I am a member of the 501st, The Dark Empire, and eventually will be part of The Saber Guild costume clubs. I have access to some rather neat people and information as well. From time to time when relevant I will share it. I should clarify that I also break from the rigid, almost draconian policing of costume integrity as I like to consider myself a free thinker and creative. I like to read between the lines, and I feel like I'm often comfortable with the material enough to confidently create costumes, or in the case of this project draw conclusion that are not necessarily "screen accurate." I will never argue against a valid argument just because we have one example of something different in the films.

My humble brags include partying at Chewbacca's house on July 4th shortly before his passing, Having drinks with the voice actress for Juno Eclipse, and having a frank conversation over breakfast with Timothy Zahn about the rank structure he added in one of his recent books.

I'm excited to also help contribute to subordinate projects and conversion packs as well, I should add. Especially ones that focus on Empire stuff.

My areas of familiarity include, dat editing, opt texture reverse engineering, intermediate photoshop skill, basic 3DM skill, basic understanding of the Concourse image, string, and audio files and how they all interplay. I have also done some voice acting contributions as well. I also consider myself somewhat of a brainstormer, an Idea person. I might not have the skill to code some fantastic hook into the engine to enhance some feature, but I sure can think of inventive and interesting things to add. It draws from my unique love of this game engine, rooted in my childhood desires for improvements to this game. My earliest posts were of trying to fix the s-foils on the Lambda and have cockpits added for it. I have been watching since the very beginning. I wont mind if you tell me I'm thinking "too big".

Realistically, nothing changes. I'll still be here, comically inflated ego and all doing what I can to help collectively improve our shared experience and maybe help make it a little more immersive, but not at the expense of fun.
So let's all welcome them into the team and buy them a beer or two! (But not more, they guys have to work tomorrow ;) )
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Welcome to the team guys! :D

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:36 pm

Welcome to the geam guys, glad to have you!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm super stoked.
Image Image Image Image Image

highorph
Cadet 4th Class

Post by highorph » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:47 am

Kudos to both of you! Great team!

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:59 am

Congrats on joining the team! Have fun!

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:56 pm

My very first PC game was X-wing. In fact I pretty much bought a PC to play it in the first place!
So it's cool to see similar people getting into gaming because of Star Wars.

Welcome to the nut house guys. Now quit goofing about and get back to work! :D
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm glad to see you are now part of the team.

@Jaeven
You have been fighting for the Emperor till a few days ago.
And now you have the New Republic insignia.
What happened?
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 pm
I'm glad to see you are now part of the team.

@Jaeven
You have been fighting for the Emperor till a few days ago.
And now you have the New Republic insignia.
What happened?
I decided to back the winning side and defected ;)

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Welcome aboard, both of you! :applaus:

We really appreciate your talent and your time to this project, especially from somebody like me who wanted to contribute but failed miserably. :kopfwand:

I look forward to what you can do for the game to make it even better! :D

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Congratulations, guys!

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Congrats guys...… :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:37 pm

Grats to you twos!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:01 am

Congrats, Jaevan & ual002!

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Congratulations! Welcome aboard!

Metathrom
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Metathrom » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:20 am

Welcome aboard, everyone!

Camerad
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Camerad » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:57 am

Congratulations. "...we can't wait to give them lots of work." That's funny. It's good to see your website and the XWA Upgrade project doing well. Thanks for everything.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i7-10700KF, 64GB 3200MHz DDR4, Geforce RTX 2080 Super 8GB

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:26 pm

I want to take this 20th Anniversary as the time for an unplanned announcement.

We welcome Rogue518 to the XWAU team as an honorary member and tester!

rogue518 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:29 pm
When I first played Xwing Vs TIE Fighter... I loved it. Then when Xwing Alliance came out, I was hooked... then, one magical day in July of 2000 came.. I accidently came upon this awesome website.... and proud to say I never left. ;)
Sincerely, Rogue518
Rogue518 has stuck with us for 20 years. The full 20 years! :shock:
He has always supported us through thick and thin. Now he is actively helping the team make the best releases we can.
Welcome Rogue518 to the madness that is the XW Alliance Upgrade :)

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:59 am

Congratulations, Rogue518!

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks.... blue_max and Ace Antilles and Forceflow and other XWAU- Team members... ;) I am humbled and honored to be an honorary XWAU-Team member. :D

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Congratulations rogue518

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Awesome
Image Image Image Image Image

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:57 pm

On behalf of the XWAU Team I would like to officially welcome @MechDonald as the newest member of the XWAU Team!

MechD has been doing some amazing stuff with new Explosion effects of late, which we hope to show you more of very soon.
He's also putting his creative talents to many other cool areas of the game that have in some cases never been updated!
So we can't wait to get all the brilliant new improvements working in the game at a later date. :)
Welcome to the party Pilot! :D

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Welcome aboard MechDonald ...... ;)

Sincerely, Rogue518

Blazingfirestorm
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Blazingfirestorm » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Congrats @MechDonald